Preventing Carburetor Failure From Clogs - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 02-19-2020, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 5
Question Preventing Carburetor Failure From Clogs

Hey everyone, say I’m curious if any of you folks have used this product for preventing carburetors from clogging? It’s a product called “Carburetor Clean- Gum Buster”. I’ve attached a couple of picture files below, and a quick YouTube video link Of the product.

The idea of this product is to save a carburetor from developing fuel related gum and debris. The product accomplishes this by purging an aerosolized solvent through a carburetors bowl nut(bowl nut is replaced with a new bowl nut that also acts as a check valve). The vendor claims this product will help to clear the small passages within a carburetor of the remaining trace droplets of fuel that can breakdown and cause clogs.

With being newer to maintaining residential power equipment, I’ve been interested in figuring out how to prevent common problems. In turn I’ve spent a good deal of time researching how to prevent problems from occurring with small engines, and the theme of fuel related issues and carburetors seems to be a primary problem second to general neglect. I think the idea of this product is interesting, and sounds promising. The price is about thirty bucks for the solvent can, and bowl nut/check valve.

What do you folks think of this idea of purging a carburetor after draining the fuel system for seasonal storage? Or perhaps after each use as an overkill carburetor trouble prevention routine? Do you think the solvent could in time damage the softer metals in a carburetor, Or eat at the plastic plug found at the top of some carbs?

Linked YouTube video of the product below:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0BAE962-1731-41F5-9E2F-04A769D93B30.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	164095   Click image for larger version

Name:	AE22608E-6D35-4543-8C95-9D8CA9779F81.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	164097  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Fat City thanked for this post
Likes Fat City, gr0uch0 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 02-19-2020, 06:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 546
You cant dream this stuff up ….

Look, ... I have been using Stabil and half the rate of SeaFoam in all my 5 gallon gas cans, with 87 octane gas, for all my equipment, for all my life, since I can remember.

I have never had an issue on any of my carburetors on all my equipment. I periodically start and run my equipment, even in off season or if not being used.

Now I have worked on many machines that come my way with &^%$&^$ up carburetors, where I just throw on an aftermarket for 13.00, and send them back on there way, with instructions to treat there gas from now on.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #3 of 43 Old 02-19-2020, 08:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 763
Thanks (Received): 236
Likes (Given): 1584
Likes (Received): 1679
Garage
"solvent" doesn't sound safe for a carb.

just use ethanol free gas and/or good fresh gas with a stabilizer and keep it fresh in your small engines and you'll have no problems.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Fat City, 87powershiftx2, Jesse11B liked this post
post #4 of 43 Old 02-19-2020, 09:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 197
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 197
Likes (Received): 10
Sounds like snake oi to me . If the kit came with the ' correct ' bowl nut [ different kits for different carbs ] I would be more impressed . I agree with the poster that said an aftermarket carb is about $ 13, way cheaper than the spray can boogie, and undoubtedly more effective. My advice for cleaning carbs, disassemble, soak body and parts in vinegar for a few hours, than put parts in an ultrasonic cleaner filled with plain water, with a small pinch of baking soda . Run cleaner for 10 minutes, use compressed air to purge water, dry with heat gun, a quick shot of penetrating oil keeps small passages open . Blasting solvent up emulsion tube does not clean the air passages . In the past, I've used powerful degreasers in the ultrasonic. That's OK if carb goes back on, and run . ' Cleaned ' but not run carbs corrode as the cleaner attacks metal, causing further corrosion. I use Startron Fuel stabilizer, and don't have problems .
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Jesse11B liked this post
post #5 of 43 Old 02-19-2020, 09:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 197
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 197
Likes (Received): 10
Forgot to ask, are new carbs tested with fuel on an engine, or is this another W **** Lie ?
post #6 of 43 Old 02-19-2020, 09:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 32
Likes (Received): 40
Pressurize a carb? WTH? Snake oil my friend. As others have mentioned, simply treat your gas with stabil or sea foam.
Likes Fat City, Jesse11B liked this post
post #7 of 43 Old 02-20-2020, 06:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
You cant dream this stuff up ….

Look, ... I have been using Stabil and half the rate of SeaFoam in all my 5 gallon gas cans, with 87 octane gas, for all my equipment, for all my life, since I can remember.

I have never had an issue on any of my carburetors on all my equipment. I periodically start and run my equipment, even in off season or if not being used.

Now I have worked on many machines that come my way with &^%$&^$ up carburetors, where I just throw on an aftermarket for 13.00, and send them back on there way, with instructions to treat there gas from now on.
Stabil and Startron here, SeaFoam as well. Chain saws, snowmobiles, lawn mowers, snow blowers... Never had a carb issue. Ever.

The one thing I always do is run the machine with the fuel turned off so that the carb empties out. No fuel = no way to gum up the carb from breakdown.

If you have Ethanol-free fuel in your area, use that. Otherwise, be sure the gas is always fresh (buy it from a high-volume station, and don't keep it more than a couple of months - find another way to consume it, like in your car).
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2, Fat City, Jesse11B liked this post
post #8 of 43 Old 02-20-2020, 08:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 747
Likes (Received): 268
yep another car dealer like snake oil push, just like they try to push for extra tech hour cash on a service, OHH your fuel system, throttle body and valves need a cleaning/decarboning. snake oil from one who was a factory dsm.

keep your gas fresh (if where one can get e free gas use it) even with efree add some stabilizer brand of choice.only keep around what will be used in 30 days, 60 tops in a tightly sealed container. follow whats printed in the machines owners manual

stop worrying
post #9 of 43 Old 02-20-2020, 08:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 174
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 480
Likes (Received): 849
I'm skeptical of this, including wondering how it attaches to different carbs.

I run stabilized fuel all the time, and run my carbs dry at the end of the season. But that does still leave some fuel in the bottom of the bowl. If you want to be more thorough, loosen the bowl nut at the end of the season (after closing the fuel shutoff, and running the carb dry until it stalls), and drain out what's in the bottom of the bowl. Re-snug that nut, and put it away for the season. The fuel you're using at the end of the season should be stabilized.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #10 of 43 Old 02-20-2020, 09:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 463
Garage
Though I agree with fuel stabilizer, good gas from a Top Tier station, fresh gas, cheap carbs, I like this idea! If there is a problem, it may be easier and faster especially in a snow storm! This is a great idea. It is no different then using similar on a car to clean the throttle body and injectors which is done by every shop and has been proven to work.

With a car you have a lot of suction pulling the cleaner through, with a small engine you have a much smaller amount, thus the benefit of the pressurized aerosol. There have been many times I just shot the aerosol carb cleaner up the main jet, or in the side jet to eat away or dislodge crud.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale

Last edited by JLawrence08648; 02-20-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page