LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-19-2020, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Honda HS1132 hard to start

3 days ago I went to fire up the blower and noticed that I could not pull out the choke lever fully. I left it half way and try to start it like that. After 30 to 40 tries, not even a putter. Until now, this snowblower always started on the first pull.

I removed the filter cover and poured some gas directly in the carb. On the second pull it started and the motor raced at very high speed (with smoke) for about 30 seconds and then went back to its normal operating speed. I then cleared the snow (for about a half hour) and it worked fine.

2 days ago I tried to start it again without success. And to add to the problem on my second pull the cord was jammed. I could not turn the motor (a bit like a jammed piston) I rotated the blades manually to move the position of the piston and after breast feeding it gas again, it started. This time the motor speed was ok right away. I was able to pull the choke lever all the way but it seemed to have no effect even after the motor was warm.

Today, I shot some gas in the carb again and the cord was stuck so I did the blade rotation trick and was able to start it and motor was running fine. This time however, the choke seemed to be working again and I had to push it back in to have the motor running smoothly.

Checked the oil level and it was fine. I am using premium gasoline. (octane 91)

I would like to do the repairs myself and am consulting you guys to give me an Idea of where to start looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 12:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 200
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 402
Likes (Received): 265
Remove your sparkplug and pull it over, it might turn over and shoot out a bunch of gasoline that could have hydro-locked the piston to keep the engine from turning over.
That can happen if you forget to shut the fuel valve off when the engine is not running, the float can stick open and it will flood the cylinder with gas. Then it would be a good idea to replace your engine oil because the gas can leak down the cylinder and contaminate the oil.
That is why it is so important to turn off the fuel when not in use.
It sounds like something is blocking your choke linkage that will not allow the choke to close completely.
Also do not use premium gasoline, that will make it harder to start, the engine is designed for regular gas and will start much easier with 87 octane than it will with premium.
Premium needs more timing advance because of the slower burn and the engines do not have much timing advance, they are designed for regular gas with the faster ignition/burn.
It will start much easier and quicker with 87 octane.

Last edited by ST1100A; 02-20-2020 at 12:26 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes barney liked this post
post #3 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 97
Likes (Given): 703
Likes (Received): 245
hard to pull over by hand?? st1100a has one poin. a carb in need of a rebuild, or with hard pulling? hard to pull or move choke lever? do you have by chance a MOUSE nest under the tank and engine tin covers?
is the engine oil 5w30? not pure 30w that will also make for hard pull starting and need to prime directly into the carb.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 04:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 140
Likes (Received): 57
Garage
Throwing out the welcome mat for your first post...First welcome to the SBF!!!

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier!!
2019 Ariens Compact 24...
2013 Craftsman 22" 179cc better than shoveling
XM -1000, galvanized steel Shovel with gator grip tape....
Big Bad Kubota as a backup by neighbor.....
post #5 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 06:38 AM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 69
Thanks (Received): 144
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 234
Your choke linkage/cable seems to be at fault and as others have said you are flooding the motor by yanking the recoil 30~40 times. Inspect and fix the cable to make sure choke is closing when choke lever is pulled.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you guys for the leads. I will bring the snowblower out of the elements (cold) and inspect/repair the choke linkage maybe there is a rodent that built a nest of stored winter supplies in there. Will also change the oil with fresh 5w30. As for the pull cord jamming, it was a bad move on my part. I had brought the hydrostatic oil level to the correct indicated level when it was -20. So in milder weather the pressure is too high and the motor will not turn.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 10:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 762
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 1575
Likes (Received): 1643
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker901 View Post
Thank you guys for the leads. I will bring the snowblower out of the elements (cold) and inspect/repair the choke linkage maybe there is a rodent that built a nest of stored winter supplies in there. Will also change the oil with fresh 5w30. As for the pull cord jamming, it was a bad move on my part. I had brought the hydrostatic oil level to the correct indicated level when it was -20. So in milder weather the pressure is too high and the motor will not turn.
not sure how hydrostatic oil level would have anything to do with engine turning over.

you can easily see choke cable function and see if the choke is closing as it should. if lucky all you need to do is lubricate the cable.

agree aithe st1100a that maybe float may not be shutting off gas and gas is leaking over. usually you will see gas coming out of breather tube out of valve cover and the oil level will be too high. I see this on older machines. the carb may need a new needle or the needle seat needs cleaning. the float could also be defective.

you can start a flooded engine by turning off key , pulling cord about 8-10 times, placing throttle between idle and fast ( not choke ) , turn key back on , and 9 out of 10 times it starts right up.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #8 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I checked my owners manual and will go back to regular gas. Specs for GX340 motor mention octane 86 or higher so I guess regular (octane 87) will do the job.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 02:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 273
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 99
Likes (Received): 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100A View Post
Also do not use premium gasoline, that will make it harder to start, the engine is designed for regular gas and will start much easier with 87 octane than it will with premium.
Premium needs more timing advance because of the slower burn and the engines do not have much timing advance, they are designed for regular gas with the faster ignition/burn.
It will start much easier and quicker with 87 octane.
That's a good tip. Didn't realize that. I've been using Shell Nitro 91 because it's the only E free gas around here...luckily it starts on the first pull.

2017 Toro PowerMax 826OE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page