LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-26-2020, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
MTD auger impeller shaft disconnect

This MTD will move small amounts of snow but the auger will stop spinning under load. If I hold the auger in place with one hand, and turn the impeller and impeller shaft with the other with some force, the impeller shaft will slip somewhere in or near the gear box. It's smooth, and not binding. I'm assuming maybe there's a pin in the gear box that connects the impeller shaft to the gear that may have sheared?

Is this something I can fix without splitting the machine and removing the impeller and auger assembly? I've never had much luck with that.. wondering if maybe the gear box can be split and pulled apart enough to access what I need to?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-26-2020, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Photo of machine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4467_1582728553938.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	164345  
post #3 of 19 Old 02-26-2020, 10:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 58
Did you check to see if your belts are slipping from being stretched?
post #4 of 19 Old 02-26-2020, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
If the belts were slipping I wouldn't be able to spin the impeller shaft without spinning the auger.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-26-2020, 11:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Received): 540
I would surmise, if indeed the sheer pins are in place and working, that indeed you have some gear box issue, which is most likely some form of stripped worm gear, or the shaft splines itself that it mates to, which either way would require a dismantle to get in there and replace the damaged part(s).

I had to do that repair on a Craftsman awhile back.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-26-2020, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The more parts and part diagrams I look at the more I think it's going to be the key that sheared for the worm gear.. there's no grinding or catching on anything when I soon the impeller shaft in the housing.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-26-2020, 12:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 25
Pull your shear pins and see if the augers will spin on the shaft, if not you have 2 projects instead of one The "T" assembly of impeller and auger shaft has to come out, no cheating in there. I would spray the 6 nut/studs at the bucket to trans mount, the 6 at the auger shaft bearing/bushing holders, and the bolt at the impeller pulley and leave it for a night. Looks to be 2000ish? It's most likely just a woodruff key holding the gear to the auger shaft. It's MUCH harder than the gear. I've never seen a gear win that battle, but I have seen the auger shaft itself break in half. Most likely you'll find teeth of the gear worn off smooth given your symptoms. Part is about $20 everywhere. Very easy to do IF you don't have augers rusted to the shaft. Given the excellent condition I hope you don't have to deal with that. To me the hardest things are getting the auger cable hook off the idler arm and getting the nuts off the bucket to trans mount.

Just reading again, the impeller shaft is one piece including the gear cut into it. On a diagram you may see a cross pin, but that locates a thrust collar, it doesn't attach anything geared. We are talking the auger shaft gear is culprit 99% of time.

Last edited by oneboltshort; 02-26-2020 at 12:17 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-26-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks oneboltshort. I haven't removed the auger assembly on many and have been unsuccessful on more than not. My issue is always removing the impeller shaft from the bearing on the back side of the bucket to be able to pull the auger/impeller assembly out of the bucket..
post #9 of 19 Old 02-26-2020, 12:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 25
5/16"-24 sacrificial bolt to put in at the impeller end and BFH the shaft will come out The little coupler on the end is splined (mount behind the pulleys) and can be an issue, but I've had more issues with the keyed smooth pulleys than these splined ones. I have a 2000 MTD in my garage right now I did an impeller bearing and paddle upgrade. It's in terrible shape compared to yours and the coupler pulled right off. See if your augers will spin, that'll indicate if you want to keep going because that is a huge PIA to do sometimes if they are rusted on. Even if you can get one to spin is better than both rusted on.

If the bearing is seized to the impeller shaft, it'll still come all the way out the hole with the assembly. Cut off wheel will make short work of it (if you really think it's bad, expensive part you may want to keep).

Last edited by oneboltshort; 02-26-2020 at 12:49 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-26-2020, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The pulley adapter is usually a huge pita part for me also. The couple I've do e I've tried using a puller and the adapter breaks before it comes loose..

I'll start digging into it this week and post my findings. Thanks for all the help.

This forum has some of the most helpful members I've been part of. And I've been on a TON of forums...
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Eyeboltman liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page