LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-14-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Chinese engines?

Any members have experience with the Chinese manufactured engines that have become pretty common?

If you have owned one or if you have worked on them, your comments would be appreciated.

Please speak from experience, not conjecture.
I'm not any happier about it than most, but it is happening and ignoring them isn't going to make the practice stop.

Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-15-2010, 04:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
What brands are they? I have a friend who knows a bit more than me when it comes to snowblowers. But he doesn't like going online so he's not on the forums. If you give me specific brands I can ask him about it and let you know what he says.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-15-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The one I am most interested in is the Loncin 4 cycle 163cc engine used by Toro on the 421 model.

Thanks!

Charles
post #4 of 14 Old 10-20-2010, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
From Toro Customer Service

This is the reply from Toro to a somewhat general question as to problems with the first year Loncin engines in the Toro 421 models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro Customer Service
"There have been no issues on the 421 Power Clear unit since introduction of the Loncin Engines. The first year of production with this engine was extremely successfull.

The Loncin Company has been in the engine business for over 15 years. This is a Toro-branded engine and Toro supports this engine fully. The engine has been thoroughly tested and Toro stands behind it."

Given that I haven't been hearing about problems with the engine and the reply from Toro, I feel better about my new Toro 421QE.

Charles
post #5 of 14 Old 10-21-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have more info if any one is interested.
Maybe I have run the subject in the ground and should just drop it.

Charles
post #6 of 14 Old 10-22-2010, 04:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry for the late reply. I haven't seen him in a while and still haven't been able to ask him. I did a little bit of research myself and that motor is used in so many different applications which means it is a very good motor. Plus Toro has always been known for reliability and amazing snow blowers and wouldn't put an inferior component in their snowblowers.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-04-2013, 10:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I know that this is an old thread. But I figure that I would throw this in there. It is slightly conjecture and slightly fact.

Loncin has been making engines for a while. Like any company they can make them good or cheap.

Loncin as a company is a large motorcycle engine manufacturer, and have come to produce close to half the motorcycle engines in the world. They are also one of the contractors, apparently, for manufacturing BMW designed engines. As far as snowblowers specifically, they produced engines for companies outside of the US for a while, particularly Eastern Europe.

Purely conjecture, but we all have come to know that simply because it is made in china no longer means that it is a bad or cheap product. Also as a company they have developed the location in which they are located much like our American Company towns like Hershey etc.

Personally I would love to get my hands on one to tinker with, but I need to get rid of about 3 other snow blowers as it is.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-05-2013, 01:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring1898 View Post
I know that this is an old thread. But I figure that I would throw this in there. It is slightly conjecture and slightly fact.

Loncin has been making engines for a while. Like any company they can make them good or cheap.

Loncin as a company is a large motorcycle engine manufacturer, and have come to produce close to half the motorcycle engines in the world. They are also one of the contractors, apparently, for manufacturing BMW designed engines. As far as snowblowers specifically, they produced engines for companies outside of the US for a while, particularly Eastern Europe.

Purely conjecture, but we all have come to know that simply because it is made in china no longer means that it is a bad or cheap product. Also as a company they have developed the location in which they are located much like our American Company towns like Hershey etc.

Personally I would love to get my hands on one to tinker with, but I need to get rid of about 3 other snow blowers as it is.
We are expected to get up to 8 to inches or possibly even a foot of snow by Tuesday night and I used my Predator 212cc engine powered MTD 5/22 to blow the 4 inches already on the ground out of my driveway this evening. I like that the engine starts with just one pull of the recoil unlike the Tecumseh which could be very difficult to start. I have a video of my machine throwing snow 40 or more feet. I can hit my shrubs in the yard with the discharge and they are 40 feet away from my driveway. I did a re-power on my MTD 5/22 because I hated the poor running difficult to start Tecumseh 5hp that it came with. I first bought a Predator 212cc for my Doodle Bug minibike which I now call the Doodle Beast. The Predator 212cc makes a great snow blower engine and I have kept my foam inside the air filter assembly. I actually like my snow blower now with the Chinese engine on it and my 5hp Tecumseh is sitting on the garage floor right now not being missed at all.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
That is actually interesting. I have the same unit from back 90's. It starts on a single half-hearted half pull, and from tuning it outblows the 8/24's that the neighbors have. The woman of the house doesn't even use the electric start its so easy, and yes she uses it herself. It's been used too. It clears about space for 12 vehicles so it definitely has been used in the last 20 years.

The 212cc that you have should be close to the 8hp range?

Last edited by Spring1898; 03-05-2013 at 09:40 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 8
I'm with Gustoguy and have repowered a toro 421 with a preditor 212cc engine and I love it. Also repowered a Bolens 824 with a 14hp Chinese motor. Believe it is loncin too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page