Auger belt slipping - bad belt or something else? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 12-15-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Auger belt slipping - bad belt or something else?

Hi guys,

Great forum and first post here! I have a circa 1987 Toro 521 two-stage snowblower with a 5hp Tecumseh engine. I'm having a pretty bad belt slip problem - auger spins fine without load, but completely stops spinning when even a little snow is put in. Shear bolts are in tact - I pulled the belt cover and saw belt wasn't even moving under load.

I pulled the belt out and what has me scratching my head is that the belt still looks really good - no bad threads sticking out and teeth are in tact. The belt is a few years old, but the machine hasn't been used much since replacement. Do these belts go bad/stretch out even when they look practically brand new? Is there any way to isolate whether its the belt or a bad tensioner? Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-16-2010, 05:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Welcome to the snowblower forum!!

A belt will streach its most when new. Could it maybe have been too long to start with? Has it ever worked well with the new belt???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 33 Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by airlyss View Post
- I pulled the belt cover and saw belt wasn't even moving under load.

no bad threads sticking out and teeth are in tact.
Not familiar with your particular unit, but are you saying the belt has teeth that mesh with corresponding teeth on the pulley?

If this is the case and the belt is not turning, and is not damaged, I would look for the drive pulley turning on the shaft under load, unless you can see that the belt is so loose it doesnít contact either pulley.

Geared pulleys and belts are very tough and when they do slip the belt gets destroyed pretty fast. You say your belt is good so I suspect the pulley is turning on the shaft.
post #4 of 33 Old 12-16-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by abumpa View Post
Not familiar with your particular unit, but are you saying the belt has teeth that mesh with corresponding teeth on the pulley?

If this is the case and the belt is not turning, and is not damaged, I would look for the drive pulley turning on the shaft under load, unless you can see that the belt is so loose it doesnít contact either pulley.

Geared pulleys and belts are very tough and when they do slip the belt gets destroyed pretty fast. You say your belt is good so I suspect the pulley is turning on the shaft.
Hmm...very interesting point. Remind me again, which one is the drive pulley? The small upper one connected to the engine, or the large lower one connected to the auger assembly?

The belt is definitely coming in contact with the pulley, since the auger does spin when its not under load - so I don't think its an overly loose belt.

I'll have to take a closer look at the pulleys to see if they are slipping on the shaft. I just pulled the belt, but didn't think to check the condition/functionality of the actual pulley. I've mainly worked with ribbed automotive belts, so haven't seen many of these geared belts.

Thanks to both of you for your help!
post #5 of 33 Old 12-16-2010, 11:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Can you post the actual model number? Looks like "38062".
post #6 of 33 Old 12-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Drive pulley is on the engine. Driven pulley is on the auger drive shaft. At least that is the way my Ariens is. As I said I am not at all familiar with your unit. However if the auger turns when under power, but stops turning when a load is applied, then something is slipping and you should be able to see it.

Are your sheer pins intact?
post #7 of 33 Old 12-16-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypower View Post
Can you post the actual model number? Looks like "38062".
Sure, it is model #38052.
post #8 of 33 Old 12-16-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by abumpa View Post
Drive pulley is on the engine. Driven pulley is on the auger drive shaft. At least that is the way my Ariens is. As I said I am not at all familiar with your unit. However if the auger turns when under power, but stops turning when a load is applied, then something is slipping and you should be able to see it.

Are your sheer pins intact?
Yes, the sheer pins are intact - auger blades don't move freely when I turn them by hand. If the drive pulley is turning on the shaft, what is the recommended fix - a new pulley or can I simply replace the bearing? I'm at work currently so can't look at it, but will check it out first thing when I get home tonight.

Thanks again!
post #9 of 33 Old 12-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by airlyss View Post
If the drive pulley is turning on the shaft, what is the recommended fix - a new pulley or can I simply replace the bearing?
Thanks again!
Some pulleys I have seen use a set screw, some have a roll pin. There should not be any bearings associated with the auger drive pulleys, with the possible exception of the tentioner pulley. The drive pulleys need to be solid mounted to the shafts they turn or are turned by.

As I said I am not at all familiar with your model machine. I have been making general suggestions based on my understanding of how my Ariens works. You will just have to work your way down the drive system until you find the problem. If the belts arenít slipping on the pulleys, and the pulleys arenít slipping on the shafts, then the next place to look is the auger gearbox, and then the sheer pins. Thatís about all there is to it unless your machine is significantly different than the Ariens.
post #10 of 33 Old 12-16-2010, 05:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Check if there is a woodriff key sheared and also if there is some allen screws that need tightening on the pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page