post #1 of 14 Old 12-16-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
replacement engine

hello everybody,
New member looking for advice on a replacing an engine on my snowblower. I bought a Yardman 10 HP with a 30" cut on it. It didn't run when i got it. I took it apart today and found a nice crack in the block behind the starter. I can't find any model numbers or markings on the engine itself. Where do i start looking for a replacement? What are the important things to look at so i know it will fit my blower?
The electric starter on it was a Tecumseh so I'm just guessing thats what the motor is. I just want a decent 10 HP motor or bigger that won't cost as much as a brand new blower would. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
If you can find a model number on the machine (for the snowblower, not the engine)
you can plug the numbers in here:

Outdoor Power Equipment Repower from Small Engine Warehouse

And if you get a match, that page will tell you what engines will fit..

Or if you can find a model number on the engine, you can look for a replacement engine of the same model..either way, you need some numbers to start with!

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
After I posted that link, I took a look what they had listed under yardman..
nothing but a little mower!

but Yardman is a MTD brand..so a yardman will have the same engine as many other MTD machines of the same era (Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt) and others..
Here is some MTD info from that site:

MTD Snow Blowers Outdoor Power Equipment Repower from Small Engine Warehouse

Scot

post #4 of 14 Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I did some more digging after i posted this and finally found the model number on one of the guards. It is 317E663H401. I put that into google and found some replacement parts and also on the link you posted but it doesn't show any 10 HP motors. Harbor freight sells an 11HP motor for $300 i might look into. It seems like the most important part is the size of the shaft coming off the crankshaft and the mounting points. Thanks for the help I'll do some more digging.
This blower also retailed for $1200 back in 1997. I thought it was way older than that and it makes it even sweeter i got it for $50!
post #5 of 14 Old 12-16-2010, 09:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The engine on that snowblower was a Tecumseh HMSK100. Look at your engine. It should have a second "crankshaft" stub off to the side. This runs in reverse direction of the crankshaft. So, you will have to do something different since no other engine maker did this. That shaft ran the drive and if you try to run the drive off the main crankshaft, you will have 6 speeds in reverse and 2 in forward. Bets bet is to try to find a good used Tecumseh. The engine numbers are located under the starter button on top of the engine.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-17-2010, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Wow thank god i posted on here before i bought a $300 engine. Thanks for the heads up. This might be a little tougher than i anticipated. I can't seem to find anyone who sells them online and of course a new one is out of the question. I did find this on ebay:
10 HP Tecumseh SnowKing Snowthrower Engine "HMSK100" - eBay (item 130465320593 end time Jan-11-11 15:14:22 PST)

It doesn't have the second shaft but it has the hole for it. I wonder if the crankshaft has the gearing for the shaft if i could just swap the sump covers???
thanks for the help indypower. you saved me some money and headaches.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-17-2010, 08:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
You can swap the covers but you also have to swap the crank and cam shaft.
I did it on a 5HP.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-18-2010, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
i guess that will be a last resort to swap internals. Anyone know a place to find used Tecumseh engines? I'm checking a few local places but no luck yet.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-18-2010, 08:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4silver1 View Post
Wow thank god i posted on here before i bought a $300 engine. Thanks for the heads up. This might be a little tougher than i anticipated. I can't seem to find anyone who sells them online and of course a new one is out of the question. I did find this on ebay:
10 HP Tecumseh SnowKing Snowthrower Engine "HMSK100" - eBay (item 130465320593 end time Jan-11-11 15:14:22 PST)

It doesn't have the second shaft but it has the hole for it. I wonder if the crankshaft has the gearing for the shaft if i could just swap the sump covers???
thanks for the help indypower. you saved me some money and headaches.

That second shaft is realy the camshaft of the engine. If it has the hole, they MIGHT offer the extended camshaft... But I dont know that for a fact.

You will also find these engines used on garden tillers. As for finding a replacement?? I see a LOT of snowblowers around that have a good eninge, but they dont run well. Mostly just plugged carbs. People think its something bigger, and toss them out. So you might be better off finding a cheep tiller, or snowblower that does not run right, and swapping the base engine over to your blower.

|
|
post #10 of 14 Old 12-18-2010, 10:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Do a Craigslist search in farm and garden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page