Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 112
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 906
Likes (Received): 211
Garage
4 stroke oil

I'm sure there are many choices, but I saw that Pennzoil full synthetic motor oil is on sale for $3.99 a quart at Menards. I think I will get me some..http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...038-c-9112.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 09-06-2014, 11:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
I would never use penzoil. that stuff was known to leave a waxy buildup on engine parts.:eek :

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 44 Old 09-06-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
I would never use penzoil. that stuff was known to leave a waxy buildup on engine parts.:eek :
I think that was true many years ago, however this is a synthetic oil made from natural gas. Pretty cool stuff!
post #4 of 44 Old 09-06-2014, 11:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
there is or was a mobil oil ad for this thread. they are watching us again.:eek :

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 44 Old 09-06-2014, 03:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Amsoil in my stuff.

For cheaper stuff, the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is excellent, about $18 for a 5 qt jug at Walmart. Made by ConocoPhillips.
post #6 of 44 Old 09-06-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Never had love for Amsoil after hearing how the original formula was stolen from it's creator Al Fagan of ALL Proof Oils back in the 70's. Amsoil is overrated in my opinion.
post #7 of 44 Old 09-06-2014, 05:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbs296 View Post
Never had love for Amsoil after hearing how the original formula was stolen from it's creator Al Fagan of ALL Proof Oils back in the 70's. Amsoil is overrated in my opinion.
Never heard that before. Between BP's oil-spill cover up and Shell's (Pennzoil, Quaker State) corrupt practices in Nigeria, sadly there aren't many saints in this industry. But unless Amsoil hires local police to enact their own brand of martial law as Shell does, I'll sleep alright at night using Amsoil.
post #8 of 44 Old 09-06-2014, 09:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
Never heard that before. Between BP's oil-spill cover up and Shell's (Pennzoil, Quaker State) corrupt practices in Nigeria, sadly there aren't many saints in this industry. But unless Amsoil hires local police to enact their own brand of martial law as Shell does, I'll sleep alright at night using Amsoil.
I have been using Amsoil since the 1980's. I have over 340,000 miles on my car and it still runs great. Amsoil works good. My Polaris XLT snowmobile engine had a broken crank bearing in it 4 years ago. At the time it had 7200 miles on it. The Mechanic said that they would most likely need to totally rebuild the engine since it had that many miles on it.

I got a call 2 days later and the mechanic said we didn't believe it at first so we ran the calipers up and down the cylinders twice and the bores were still with in specifications. He said you could even see the original cross hatch from the factory hone on the cylinder walls. New rings and a light ball hone and a savings of over $350 dollars for new pistons and an overbore thanks to Amsoil.
post #9 of 44 Old 09-06-2014, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
I have been using Amsoil since the 1980's. I have over 340,000 miles on my car and it still runs great. Amsoil works good. My Polaris XLT snowmobile engine had a broken crank bearing in it 4 years ago. At the time it had 7200 miles on it. The Mechanic said that they would most likely need to totally rebuild the engine since it had that many miles on it.

I got a call 2 days later and the mechanic said we didn't believe it at first so we ran the calipers up and down the cylinders twice and the bores were still with in specifications. He said you could even see the original cross hatch from the factory hone on the cylinder walls. New rings and a light ball hone and a savings of over $350 dollars for new pistons and an overbore thanks to Amsoil.
In it's day, amsoil was probably the best, now there are many other synthetics just as good, cheaper, and much easier to find. The quality of metals used in newer engines, trans, diffys, etc, has a lot to do with their durability. Manufacturing processes and tolerances are also important. Amsoil won't help a new mtd piece of junk last any longer and a honda or yamaha will last just as long with or without amsoil. Those that like amsoil, good for you. Those on the fence, save a little money and time, there are many good options.
post #10 of 44 Old 09-06-2014, 10:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbs296 View Post
In it's day, amsoil was probably the best, now there are many other sunthetics just as good, cheaper, and much easier to find. The quality of metals used in newer engines, trans, diffys, etc, has a lot to do with their durability. Manufacturing processes and tolerances are also important. Amsoil won't help a new mtd piece of junk last any longer and a honda or yamaha will last just as long with or without amsoil. Those that like amsoil, good for you. Those on the fence, save a little money and time, there are many good options.
Or you can look into independent testing and find that Amsoil is consistently in the top three of nearly every oil test, while others are at the top in one regard, and at the bottom in another.
I did a bunch of digging into this about 6 months ago, long story short, I'll only run Amsoil, it's not expensive given the change intervals. It was a no brainer once I dug into the facts.

Snowblowers I own.
Honda HS928
Honda HS621
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page