Replacing spark plug boot or wire Tecumseh H60 Engin Ariens 10m6d - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-17-2014, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Replacing spark plug boot or wire Tecumseh H60 Engin Ariens 10m6d

The boot on my spark plug wire isn't clipping onto the spark plug. This is on a 10m6d with a 6hp H60 Tecumseh engine. I tried squeezing the metal clip with pliers but it won't hold after pressing the boot onto the plug one time. The rubber on the boot is cracked and worn out too.

Can I just replace the boot with a new one from auto parts store? If I wanted to change out the whole wire what is involved?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-17-2014, 10:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 23
Yes, you can just get a new tip and boot from the auto store or just get one like this...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=330687659009

Otherwise you have to pull the shroud and change the coil. Not worth it if you only need to redo the tip in my opinion.

Ray
1962 Ariens 10ML60
1979 Toro 524
1975 MTD Snowflite 4/22

Last edited by Ray 1962 10ML60; 09-17-2014 at 10:56 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-18-2014, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray 1962 10ML60 View Post
Yes, you can just get a new tip and boot from the auto store or just get one like this...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=330687659009

Otherwise you have to pull the shroud and change the coil. Not worth it if you only need to redo the tip in my opinion.
I stopped by the dealer this morning and got a Tecumseh spark plug boot similar to the above link. I had a question on how to crimp the connector onto the end of the wire.

My understanding is that there is the outer sheath, insulator, and then conductive inner core. Instructions for DIY spark plug wires here. suggest exposing the inner core wire, folding it back towards the outer sheath, and crimp the terminal around the sheath and folded back inner core (see below)

When I'd removed the original boot that was cracked and the terminal that was not staying tight onto the plug, it didn't look to be done this well.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-18-2014, 12:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
NGK makes a nifty plug boot. screws on to.:cool :

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 09-18-2014, 06:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 276
Likes (Given): 2802
Likes (Received): 506
Slide the new boot onto the wire before installing the terminal. Automobiles use carbon core wire (resistor type), small engines use copper core wire and there is no need to strip the insulation back. If the terminal has a small spear point, squeeze it onto the wire and use pliers to gently form the terminal ears around the cable, slide the boot over it and your done.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008 (Gone)
Toro 721-QZR (38741) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page