LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-18-2014, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
leaking gas not sure from where

So I got a non-running Ariens 924040 that had been sitting for years. The fuel line was disintegrated and the carb varnished. I got a carb rebuild kit and new fuel hose and /cleaned/rebuilt it and put it back together.

Added some gas and some seafoam and was so proud of myself that it started. I've never done this before. It ran rough, blew some flames out the muffler, then seemed to smooth out. I stopped it with the intent of coming back in a little bit and change the oil.

I came out to work on it and there was a big puddle of gas under the blower. It wasn't coming out at the tank, or fuel shutoff valve, or out of the bottom of the carb, or primer hose. It didn't seem to be coming out at the inlet into the carb.

As near as I can tell it looked to be dripping from the inside of the blower body and dripping out at the bottom left corner of the underside.

Could I have put a hole into the new fuel line while I was routing it through the engine? Could it be something worse,like in the engine?

How should I trouble shoot this. It is ok to start up again?

------------------
Edit:

So I took the fuel line out and found a huge gash in it that had worn all the way through. There was a second gash that was close to going through. Clearly, I routed the line too close to some spinning parts. If there is a way to do it wrong I can find it. Ok, back to the dealer. They must get such a kick when they see me walk through the door.

So now question is how do I route the gas line right this time? I'll post a picture of the gash when it uploads to flickr.

Do I have to route the gas line through the shroud? Can it go on the outside of the engine to the carb?

Last edited by ashwinearl; 09-18-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-18-2014, 09:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
You could have put a hole in the fuel line, but it is probably more likely that either the float is leaking or the needle and seat are not sealing. Those problems would make it leak out of the carb inlet though.

If the intake side of the carb is lower than the intake valve on the engine you only have to worry about igniting leaked gas and vapor. If the carb is even with the engine then you might have a flooded cylinder or even a bunch of gas mixed in with the oil.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-18-2014, 10:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 276
Likes (Given): 2803
Likes (Received): 506
Here is a link to a good video for the fuel line installation. It is CRITICAL to get the fuel line behind the keepers so the flywheel doesn't rub a hole in it. It is a lot of trouble to remove the recoil shroud, but the only real way to route it correctly.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008 (Gone)
Toro 721-QZR (38741) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-19-2014, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks everyone. Here is a picture of my handywork. Thanks for that link from Donboy. It's exactly what I need.

Back to the parts store and one more try. I appreciate the encouragement and hope that my mistakes can help out the next person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15097096000_a71bd16542_z.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	19529  
post #5 of 6 Old 09-19-2014, 11:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Ahh, glad you found the problem. That shouldn't be too hard to fix and all it cost was a 1-2 hours of time and less than $3.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-19-2014, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
Ahh, glad you found the problem. That shouldn't be too hard to fix and all it cost was a 1-2 hours of time and less than $3.
What is priceless though is the bullet I dodged of having it catch fire on the lawn. I shudder to think of what would have happened had I kept running longer than I had. That might have put an end to my snowblower tinkering right then and there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page