Repowering a Snapper 4hp Tecumseh to 6 hp Honda OHC, 8” friction disk?? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-21-2014, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Repowering a Snapper 4hp Tecumseh to 6 hp Honda OHC, 8” friction disk??

Hi all, I am starting a project after seeing so many success stories here going from double shaft Tecumseh to single shaft Predators. I had an opportunity to get a low hour Honda 6hp GC190 off a pressure washer and grabbed it. So far it looks like a bolt in installation. I am not flipping the drive like most have, my shifter is off-set way to the left. I found some little 2” v-idler pulleys and I’m putting one on each of the upper mounts and looping the belt below the shaft. I’m putting a ¾” by 1” bushing over the shaft behind the blower pulley and notching it to lock into the key (I’ll put up picks once the parts come in). So it will be driving off the flat side of the belt (probably go with a AX series for the flat back), my thinking is with it being geared down so much it shouldn’t need lots of torque at the motor shaft. If I start smoking belts I can always go to an AA belt and a sheave.
Couple questions; I need to throw snow far as possible, my drive is only two cars deep but it is 6 cars wide! I end up throwing it 4 or 5 times before I get it over the fence. I’m going up one pulley size on the motor blower drive from 2-1/2 to 3”. This will take my impeller speed from 1123 rpm to 1300. Am I doing the right thing? I’ll do a impeller kit also.
Second; I have read where you guys are using an 8” friction disk P/N 65604025A. That disk looks to have a threaded stud for mounting and a full flat face. Mine is bored through, 5/8” id bearing up front and a ½” id bearing on the friction side. It slips on the shaft and held with a snap ring. Does anyone know if there is an 8” disk with this configuration? If my little flat drive doesn’t work I’ll need one.
I'll post some picks when I figure out how??

Last edited by bnurczyk; 10-21-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here is what I have started:
Sorry, these came in out of order
post #3 of 14 Old 10-21-2014, 10:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
The larger pulley on the engine to drive the impeller will get you more distance. The impeller kit too. It will also help to sand the chute and paint that up nice and smooth.

Can't help with the rest of your questions.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 14 Old 10-22-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
The larger pulley on the engine to drive the impeller will get you more distance. The impeller kit too.
Do you know if anyone has done the math on this or is it more of a trial and error thing. There must some sweet spot as far as impeller tip velocity, I want to be kind to my auger gearbox as well.
I also find it interesting the *220 was offered in a 4, 5, 6, and 7 hp versions and the pulleys for the blower remained the same, the only benefit to the bigger engines on "stock" units is the ability to move more snow quicker, not any further (as long as your not lugging the lower hp engine that is).
post #5 of 14 Old 10-22-2014, 02:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
definately show pics of the setup on teh belts.. I bet lots of folks are gonna like your idea.. its a 2nd option to converting a one shaft to a double shaft application

also nice touch on using an OHC engine

about your disc.. think you could resort to making an arbour with your ecisting disc to adapt to whats easier to come by??.. its the only solution I could think up on the fly

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
2015 Columbia 420cc 28in 3xHD
post #6 of 14 Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Finally got the pulleys delivered today, stopped by the ACE hardware home center to pick up some long 5/16-24 bolts to mount them and found they also had some nice heavy spacer bushings. I needed 5/8” behind the idlers and ended up buying 3/8” and ¼” to get the stack height. Also picked up the ¾”id x1” od bushing there as well. I hand cut half a woodruff key slot with a file and shaped one end of the motor key to lock into it. The blower pulley set screw locks it all together. Just ordered the AX39 v-belt for the traction drive. Nice thing about this setup (if it works) is it keeps the idler pulley on the slack side of the belt and no need to flip the drive.
My only other challenges ahead are modifying the belt cover, discharge chute crank, and build a warm air box around the carb.

post #7 of 14 Old 11-04-2014, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It's alive!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty013 View Post
definately show pics of the setup on teh belts.. I bet lots of folks are gonna like your idea.. its a 2nd option to converting a one shaft to a double shaft application
Ok, I finally made some progress on the old snapper. Used a 40” (3VX400) belt on the drive. I know it goes against all v-belt manufacturer recommendations to back bend a belt with this small of radius but the actual belt speed is not real fast and with the gear reduction there is not much load at the motor shaft. I let it run a good 15 min and the belt just got warm not hot at all. For clearance I had to flip the blower idler, use a carriage bolt. And bend a slight offset in the lever it mounts to. Also made a warm air box, its a little crude but the best I could do without a metal brake. Impeller kit uses the side wall from a BF Goodrich T/A . Now, I just got to work on the belt cover, tune up the engine, and paint.
Here is a not so good video (I don’t do well on camera) of it running.

post #8 of 14 Old 11-05-2014, 06:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Good job. I had considered something similar once, but I convinced myself there wasn't enough room for the parts and that it wouldn't work without a lot of fabrication work which I didn't have tools for.

Great job proving me wrong.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-05-2014, 09:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
Very nice......let us know how it works throwing your snow.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-05-2014, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
Good job. I had considered something similar once, but I convinced myself there wasn't enough room for the parts and that it wouldn't work without a lot of fabrication work which I didn't have tools for.

Great job proving me wrong.
Yea, access to the right tools is everything! If I had access to a lathe I would have done this a little different. I'd actually prefer a small v-pulley on the motor shaft and run flat pulleys everywhere else, turn the belt inside out and it would be golden. I think a custom 8" flat pulley to go over the friction plate would be fun to make, but sometimes you got to work with what you got!
We will see how the belt life is and go from there....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page