LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-02-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 118
Likes (Received): 19
How often does this happen?

Just wondering how often (if ever) a snow blower engine might shear a flywheel key? Reason why I'm asking is a neighbor brought over his B&S engined snowblower, and it runs poorly. So, I rebuilt the carb, using my standard system -- soak overnight in cleaning solution, and then ran it through my ultrasonic cleaner. Put a new carb kit in it.

Put a new plug in it, whuch seemed to help. I'm thinking I need to also run the older? gas out of it....don't know how long it's been in there.

Anyway, before I pull the flywheel and check for a sheared key, I'm going to let it run for a while to try and burn the gas out of there. If I still have some backfiring, etc, then I'll pull the shroud and check the key.

Sound like a reasonable plan to the experts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-02-2014, 10:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Although some members here are much more expert than I, you definitively have the correct course of action, it is a definite question when the engine timing is off, backfiring being one of them that the shear key might be the culprit.

Good Luck and keep us in the loop

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-02-2014, 11:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 290
Likes (Given): 2920
Likes (Received): 540
It is quite possible the key is sheared, although it is very rare on a snow blower unless the flywheel was removed at some point and not torqued back to spec. A sheared key would first show symptoms of ripping the recoil out of your hand when starting because of the ignition timing change. If the engine is back firing, my guess would be valves that need adjusting or a valve that is sticking open slightly. Is the engine an overhead valve or flat head?

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-03-2014, 07:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
Shearing that key is highly unlikely unless somone had been in there an under torqued the clutch.

Draining the fuel system should have been job one ahead of rebuilding the carburetor. I'd siphon it out and get fresh fuel in there ASAP.

Still running poorly could be a lot of things including carburetor adjustment, ignition breakdown especially if you have points in there or diminished valve clearance.

Pete
post #5 of 12 Old 11-04-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK -- I have no pull back on the rope pull, so I'm inclined to think the timing is not an issue. It runs although still not smoothly. This is a carb than has no adjustment, nor throttle, so it always runs at full throttle. Since I have engine tempo up and down (I can see the linkage moving the throttle), I figure I've either still got some grime in the carb, and/or an air leak.

So, I'm gonna repull the carb and do another good cleaning via soaking and ultrasounic cleaner.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-08-2014, 06:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnod View Post
Just wondering how often (if ever) a snow blower engine might shear a flywheel key? Reason why I'm asking is a neighbor brought over his B&S engined snowblower, and it runs poorly. So, I rebuilt the carb, using my standard system -- soak overnight in cleaning solution, and then ran it through my ultrasonic cleaner. Put a new carb kit in it.

Put a new plug in it, whuch seemed to help. I'm thinking I need to also run the older? gas out of it....don't know how long it's been in there.

Anyway, before I pull the flywheel and check for a sheared key, I'm going to let it run for a while to try and burn the gas out of there. If I still have some backfiring, etc, then I'll pull the shroud and check the key.

Sound like a reasonable plan to the experts?
the shear key is soft aluminum and they do break, I had a 5HP Briggs from a Gilson/Senator tiller, and the key was broken. usually a machine that encounters a lot of resistance in normal use, like a tiller, will break a key once in a while. I filed a new key from a hardened piece of engine piston, that material is a little tougher and not as easy to break. the engine is still running to this day on a go cart

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #7 of 12 Old 11-08-2014, 11:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 44
Out of at least 200 machines I can't say I ever remember seeing it happen. It's very common on lawn mowers, but almost unheard of with snowblowers.

As far as the carb goes you'll normally need to stick something through the passages to really clean them (torch tip cleaners or wire from a wire brush depending on the size of the passage)
post #8 of 12 Old 11-08-2014, 12:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 79
yes it happens on a mower when the user hits a rock.

now they make the mowers with a breakaway mower nut/washer/flange holder, so it breaks there instead, and the user can buy a new one for $6 and reassemble it and go, the motor will still run.

I got 2 mowers identical, one has the breakaway nut/flange, one did not. both hit rocks and were put out by neighbors with "free" signs. I fixed the one with the breakaway flange, for $6. the other one was older, and it BROKE THE CONNECTING ROD in the engine. it was junk. I scrapped everything but a few engine parts.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines

Last edited by greatwhitebuffalo; 11-08-2014 at 12:48 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry guys -- I've been traveling. Ended up pulling the shroud and the key was fine. Fully drained the old gas, and found some water bubbles in there. Put in fresh gas, along with some B-12 and fired it up. Seems to be working well now!
post #10 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 08:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnod View Post
Sorry guys -- I've been traveling. Ended up pulling the shroud and the key was fine. Fully drained the old gas, and found some water bubbles in there. Put in fresh gas, along with some B-12 and fired it up. Seems to be working well now!
I never posted a response on this thread because I was just stumped. But, I was inclined to believe the key wasn't the problem. I'm just dang happy you figured out what actually was the problem.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page