LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-03-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Toro On/Off Key Operation

Toro 824 Powershift - blower runs great but the key on the control panel doesn't function as it should. In either the on or off position, the machine still runs.

What's the premise on how these operate as a kill switch? There are two wires coming out of the switch that both go to a metal tab that is attached (grounded) on the recoil housing, and the ground wire from the ignition coil also attaches there. My electrician father took a look at it over the weekend and even he couldn't figure out how it isn't grounded 100% of the time.

We at least tested the switch with a DVM and it registered infinite ohms on both on and off. We got the same reading when testing the two wires that connect to the on/off switch. I think we were expecting to see 0 ohms because it would have been a completed circuit.

I would like to have the switch working as it's convenient to turn off the machine with it. How do I go about testing the system and determining if it's all hooked up correctly? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-03-2014, 10:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Normally when you remove the key it grounds the ignition and stops the engine, so one wire is from the ignition and the other to a ground.
Can you not as well shut the engine when you close your throttle completely? This what most people use to shut the engine or an engine off/on switch.
You should verify if the two metallic tabs have a good contact together when the key is removed which is when you can use your ohm meter to see if there is continuity from ignition wire to engine ground.
The plastic key is meant to shut the engine in an emergency and or preventing the young ones starting the engine inadvertently which is less prone to happen. I never use the plastic key to shut my engine as it is prone to break in half and the throttle is easier to use. Just my opinion.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.

Last edited by Normex; 11-03-2014 at 10:43 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-03-2014, 11:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 250
Thanks (Received): 294
Likes (Given): 2970
Likes (Received): 549
Those key switches if using a metal key have a tendency to corrode internally from water entering the key slot. One wire will go to ground, such as a ring terminal on the recoil housing. The second wire will go to a nylon or plastic insulated block on the recoil that connects to the ignition coil kill terminal and is isolated from ground.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Yea, pretty simple. One wire comes from the ignition and goes to the switch. The other wire goes back to touch the engine. When the switch is "off" those 2 wires are touching which causes the spark to ground out on the engine instead of sparking at the plug. When the switch is "on" it causes a break in that wire which lets the engine run. Either one of your wires is broken / disconnected or your switch is worn out.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-03-2014, 11:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Thanks Grunt for clearing this up for me as I thought they were all metal tabs where the key is inserted.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-03-2014, 12:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 250
Thanks (Received): 294
Likes (Given): 2970
Likes (Received): 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normex View Post
Thanks Grunt for clearing this up for me as I thought they were all metal tabs where the key is inserted.
You were correct in your description Normex, for the newer style switches that use a plastic key. We are all here to help each other. By the way, you did a great job on the sulky you made. Good luck with it and God Bless you.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-03-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
Those key switches if using a metal key have a tendency to corrode internally from water entering the key slot. One wire will go to ground, such as a ring terminal on the recoil housing. The second wire will go to a nylon or plastic insulated block on the recoil that connects to the ignition coil kill terminal and is isolated from ground.
So for testing purposes on the key cylinder, when in the off position a DVM should read 0 as it's making a circuit and in the on position it should read ??? because the circuit is broken allowing the coil to fire? Do I have that right, and if the meter shows ??? that means the cylinder is bad?

Quick edit: both of the wires from the switch are attached to a grounding tab located on the recoil housing, along with the wire that comes from the coil. Should it actually be that the coil ground wire should just be attached to one of the wires from the switch and not also screwed onto the grounding tab? Would the switch work then?

Last edited by threeputtpar; 11-03-2014 at 01:10 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-03-2014, 01:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeputtpar View Post
So for testing purposes on the key cylinder, when in the off position a DVM should read 0 as it's making a circuit and in the on position it should read ??? because the circuit is broken allowing the coil to fire? Do I have that right, and if the meter shows ??? that means the cylinder is bad?

Quick edit: both of the wires from the switch are attached to a grounding tab located on the recoil housing, along with the wire that comes from the coil. Should it actually be that the coil ground wire should just be attached to one of the wires from the switch and not also screwed onto the grounding tab? Would the switch work then?
more than likely the key housing is fried.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 13 Old 11-03-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
If the key cylinder is the culprit, wouldn't it be more likely that it would have failed in the off mode making it impossible to start the engine? I'd think that it would be engineered to be a failsafe and not a fail runaway engine.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-03-2014, 01:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeputtpar View Post
If the key cylinder is the culprit, wouldn't it be more likely that it would have failed in the off mode making it impossible to start the engine? I'd think that it would be engineered to be a failsafe and not a fail runaway engine.
a switch will fail in either position. does not matter.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page