Light coat of oil or other lube on rebuild of Ariens 824? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-09-2014, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question Light coat of oil or other lube on rebuild of Ariens 824?

Hello,

Today I'm starting to rebuild my Ariens 824 snowblower (model 932101, serial number 015946). My main frame (the big orange box that holds all the gears and friction plates, etc.) got really banged up, my fault, so I decided to rebuild it. So I bought a new mainframe and I'm going to repair and replace all my worn parts.

My main concern is what lubricant should I use on the sliding parts in the mainframe. Things like the bronze bushing (it's either bronze or brass but I think it's bronze) that rides on the hex shaft that holds the friction plate. Should I use just a light coating of motor oil, a light coating of lithium grease, a light coating of a heavier oil like gear lube (90 weight) or something else or nothing at all?

I've looked through the repair manual and I can't find any lubrication recommendations other than what goes in the worm gear differential.

Can I get some suggestions here? I'm thinking just a light coating of motor oil for most of the parts because here in the Northwest corner of Connecticut it can get really cold in the winter time, like zero, and I know I don't want to be fighting some frozen grease that I put on a sliding bushing.

So I hope someone can throw some suggestions out here for me in the next day or so because I finally have a few days of spare time to dedicate to rebuilding the snowblower. And the way things go here in Connecticut it could snow at anytime.

Thanks.
Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-09-2014, 02:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Hi,

I have a '78 932006, you should check out the operators manual of that year as I bet it will apply to your machine too. Page 7 has picture instructions for both oiling and grease locations. Most any oil will work and the recommend grease is '00' semi-fluid lithium grease (fyi Ariens liquid grease pt#00007200)

Check out Scot's site for that early manual plus lots of other great info.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-09-2014, 05:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 12
I used white lithium grease on the hex shaft, like you mentioned. For the drive axle, cog, and sprocket I used low temp grease. Haven't had a problem with either in cold temperatures

1972 Ariens 13/32 restored & repowered
1971 Ariens 7/24 (retired)
2011 Ariens Deluxe 24
1980 Ariens st7/24 (retired)
1985 Ariens st10/36
post #4 of 8 Old 11-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 32
What ever you use, don't get any on the friction wheel,or plate.
Sid
post #5 of 8 Old 11-09-2014, 09:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 2
From what I understand, "marine grease" works great too! I use the "Lucas oil" brand just because its a nice blue color!

Ariens Platinum SHO 24" Armored Up!
Toro S-620
post #6 of 8 Old 11-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwblue00 View Post
From what I understand, "marine grease" works great too! I use the "Lucas oil" brand just because its a nice blue color!
I second the marine grease vote. That stuff is great inside the gearbox, super water repellant and stays in place, very tacky.

Ray
1962 Ariens 10ML60
1979 Toro 524
1975 MTD Snowflite 4/22
post #7 of 8 Old 11-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 197
Likes (Received): 283
I moved a couple years ago and a can of this stuff was left behind in the garage. Otherwise I would never have known about it. I just started looking for another can of it as this orphan can is running low. It's not cheap, but goes a long way and has become my "snake oil" of choice for lots of things. It works great on hex shafts, control cables (get yourself one of those injector thingys, they're great), chute rotation gears, oh, and chains.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydom View Post
Hello,

Today I'm starting to rebuild my Ariens 824 snowblower (model 932101, serial number 015946). My main frame (the big orange box that holds all the gears and friction plates, etc.) got really banged up, my fault, so I decided to rebuild it. So I bought a new mainframe and I'm going to repair and replace all my worn parts.

My main concern is what lubricant should I use on the sliding parts in the mainframe. Things like the bronze bushing (it's either bronze or brass but I think it's bronze) that rides on the hex shaft that holds the friction plate. Should I use just a light coating of motor oil, a light coating of lithium grease, a light coating of a heavier oil like gear lube (90 weight) or something else or nothing at all?

I've looked through the repair manual and I can't find any lubrication recommendations other than what goes in the worm gear differential.

Can I get some suggestions here? I'm thinking just a light coating of motor oil for most of the parts because here in the Northwest corner of Connecticut it can get really cold in the winter time, like zero, and I know I don't want to be fighting some frozen grease that I put on a sliding bushing.

So I hope someone can throw some suggestions out here for me in the next day or so because I finally have a few days of spare time to dedicate to rebuilding the snowblower. And the way things go here in Connecticut it could snow at anytime.

Thanks.
Jerry

I coat all the running gear parts under/inside the machine with synthetic wheel bearing grease, the same kind used in wheel bearings for cars. that stuff lasts forever. if you have none handy, in a pinch you can use the old standby "00" or double zero grease, i.e. Vaseline.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page