LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 11-11-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Smile Toro 3650 & JD TRS 21 Questions

Hi all! I am new to small engines and snow blowers but am very familiar with forums and Hondas! I was hoping all you great people could assist me!

I bought a John Deere TRS 21 (1993) snow blower from a guy for $90 and then replaced the belt, plug, and fuel filter which I got from John Deere for another $26. The thing runs great, has electric start but there are 2 issues. The blades spin most of the time (I have adjusted the cable to no avail) and in order for the chute to turn left while cranking you either have to push down on the body of the blower or lift the snow blower up by pressing down on the handle.

I also bought a 6.5 hp Toro 3650 (2001) from another guy for $25 who said it ran great but needed a new fuel tank because it was leaking and the primer lever has to be taped down otherwise it will vibrate to full choke. I do believe the guy. I got home and couldn't get it to start. I then went to Toro and got a new priming bulb, gas tank, and an E3 plug for a total of like $70. I replaced everything, gapped the plug, and it started up. Tonight I had a hard time starting it and when it did, it eventually died on me. So for quite awhile I tried to get the think to start and it did a couple times but then died. After awhile of pulling the pull string won't retract. grrrrr.

The fuel was fresh in both and I used a "Premium 2 stroke oil" from Lowes that works on pretty much any ratio.

So now, I think I am going to sell both and buy a brand new one. However, as you can tell, I don't want to spend anymore money on these snowblowers at all since new ones are quite expensive.

What do you think I could get for each snowblower? Is it easy to fix the cable on the Toro?

Thanks! I'll check back in later tonight!

Last edited by 19accord98; 11-11-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-11-2014, 06:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 273
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 915
Welcome to the forum.
I'm guessing you may get $100.00 for the pair.
Did you check for spark out of the 3650?
I know nothing about the Deere trs 21.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 33 Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1647
Likes (Received): 583
welcome to SBF!! did you replace the fuel filter on the toro

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #4 of 33 Old 11-11-2014, 07:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
For the Deere I would say the belt is too short, the adjustment is too tight or the pulleys are dirty and rusted. For the chute issue it sounds as if there is an alignment issue and turning one way works fine, but turning the other way separates the parts. Are the handles and everything tight? Those should be two easy problems to fix.

For the Toro I am guessing the spring broke on the recoil. Did you hear a noise when it stopped retracting? It could also be that you got too excited and were pulling it so fast that it got loose and tangled up on itself.

Of the two machines I would say the Toro is the better one from what I have read. Those Deere TRS and TRX models are just Murray blowers.

Also, I have heard bad things on the E3 plugs. Something about sometimes the electrodes can break off in the cylinders.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.

Last edited by Shryp; 11-11-2014 at 07:47 PM.
post #5 of 33 Old 11-11-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Welcome to the forum.
I'm guessing you may get $100.00 for the pair.
Did you check for spark out of the 3650?
I know nothing about the Deere trs 21.
Thanks! I am hoping to get $250 minimum for the pair but I guess we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
welcome to SBF!! did you replace the fuel filter on the toro
Oops, yes I replaced the filter on the Toro as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
For the Deere I would say the belt is too short, the adjustment is too tight or the pulleys are dirty and rusted. For the chute issue it sounds as if there is an alignment issue and turning one way works fine, but turning the other way separates the parts. Are the handles and everything tight? Those should be two easy problems to fix.

For the Toro I am guessing the spring broke on the recoil. Did you hear a noise when it stopped retracting? It could also be that you got too excited and were pulling it so fast that it got loose and tangled up on itself.

Of the two machines I would say the Toro is the better one from what I have read. Those Deere TRS and TRX models are just Murray blowers.

Also, I have heard bad things on the E3 plugs. Something about sometimes the electrodes can break off in the cylinders.
The chute has a bunch of notches in it that rides on a worm gear. For some reason, when turning it left it rides up and off of the worm gear. But if you put a little weight on top of it it works just fine. Kind of a bad design in my opinion.

I know the belt is correct as I verified it at the JD dealer and online but I think you are right that the pulley is rusted. After I replaced the belt the blades were not spinning but as soon as I engaged the belts and then let go of the handle they kept on spinning which would make sense.

I didn't hear anything on the Toro bc the JD blower was running. I was getting a little annoyed and believe I probably pulled it a bit too fast. I might take it apart tonight or tomorrow ( ) Is it pretty easy to get to the string?

As far as the plug goes, it would not start up until I put the new plug in. I sure as heck hope the electrode doesn't break off!

After I take a look at this Toro ill go ahead and see what I can get for it. If it is a decent amount, i'll sell the JD too and buy a new entry level single stage.
post #6 of 33 Old 11-11-2014, 09:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
The strings on single stages can be a pain to get to because of all the covers. Also, if you restring it make sure it is routed correctly and through all the covers before it is tied.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #7 of 33 Old 11-11-2014, 09:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19accord98 View Post
Thanks! I am hoping to get $250 minimum for the pair but I guess we will see.
I honestly and truely hope that you do. With the winter we had last year anything is possible.
I know arojnd my area hey are off the scale pricewise.I didn't have any problems selling any of mine and getting very close to my full asking price.

Joe

Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
New.green shovel
post #8 of 33 Old 11-14-2014, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So a guy offered me $125 for the Toro and I said yes. He is going to pick it up on Monday.

I guess my question is, should I go through the hassle of fixing it for $25 and then having to clean the carb, or should I sell both and buy brand new?

On Black Friday I can get a 179cc Craftsman single stage for $380, plus it is a 4 stroke. Not sure of how good these 4 stroke units are. Power wise, how would that compare to the 6.5hp Toro I have now?

I just read through some reviews and they are pretty bad for the Craftsman. I may just go ahead can cancel on the guy for the Toro. I've never cleaned a carb before but have seen a couple videos on Youtube.

Last edited by 19accord98; 11-14-2014 at 09:03 AM.
post #9 of 33 Old 11-14-2014, 09:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Repair the Toro and keep it. Watch the vids again, take LOTS of pictures so you'll have a reference to re assemble it..

Joe

Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
New.green shovel
post #10 of 33 Old 11-14-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah, it looks like thats what ill go ahead and do.

I can get the part locally for $40 and I guess I will dive into it tonight. Im not really looking forward to it as the thing is a pain to take apart.

I'll get the camera out for the carb teardown and rebuild. I'm surprised that these things are made of plastic - seems like a poor design.

I'll keep you guys updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page