LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-11-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
2014 MTD Snowthrower won't start

I have a brand new MTD snowthrower (30" 357cc DS) that I bought on clearance last spring. When I started it up today to warm it up pre-season, it ran for about 10 seconds, then started to sputter, then smoke came out of the side, then oil spurted out the bottom onto the tire, and a poof of flame came out the side! I quickly removed the ignition key and unplugged the ignition. Oil is all over my back left tire, and the oil in the filling tube has a whitish residue now.

So I'm a new snowthrower owner. I've used one before, but I always used my neighbor's. Perhaps I did something wrong in the set up? I didn't put any oil or gas into it until this week. I used the right kind of oil (5w-30) and went through the start up sequence exactly as specified in the manual. (Yes, I'm one of THOSE kind of guys... Not mechanically intuitive!)

I've tried to do some reading on other forums, but I'm still not sure how to troubleshoot it. I can take it back to Menards if it's a warranty issue. Does it just need a fuel additive to stabilize? Did I put in too much oil? Where do I start without voiding the warranty?

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-11-2014, 10:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
White stuff in the oil usually indicates water. Perhaps they had it sitting outside before you bought it and some water got in the engine? Overflowing oil usually means it is over filled or some other problem with the engine. I wouldn't think you would have an issue with a brand new engine, but you never know.

I never use fuel additives and don't really have any issues. If you were to have problems from that it would be from leaving the fuel in for a long time or using old fuel to begin with. Maybe if the oil had water in it so did the gas?

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-11-2014, 10:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Sorry Shryp I started to post but someone showed up and I posted a bit later.

Ok I would change the oil with regular 5w-30 and be careful not to overfill if you have a yellow screwed plug at bottom of engine just fill to the rim, or if you have a dipstick then fill carefully to the top marks hopefully it says full. The whitish suggest it may have mixed with water so oil change is a must.
The smoke you saw was probably due to oil that squirted on your muffler hence where you saw the blue flame. I'm explaining this going blind but correct me if I'm astray. You should empty all your gas from your tank and replace with new preferably non-ethanol. Who knows how this gas was in the tank before you bought it. If you can remove the gas from the carburator do so as well and then start it.
Good Luck and please tell us how you made out.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.

Last edited by Normex; 11-11-2014 at 11:03 PM.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-11-2014, 11:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 144
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfoster713 View Post
I have a brand new MTD snowthrower (30" 357cc DS) that I bought on clearance last spring. When I started it up today to warm it up pre-season, it ran for about 10 seconds, then started to sputter, then smoke came out of the side, then oil spurted out the bottom onto the tire, and a poof of flame came out the side! I quickly removed the ignition key and unplugged the ignition. Oil is all over my back left tire, and the oil in the filling tube has a whitish residue now.

So I'm a new snowthrower owner. I've used one before, but I always used my neighbor's. Perhaps I did something wrong in the set up? I didn't put any oil or gas into it until this week. I used the right kind of oil (5w-30) and went through the start up sequence exactly as specified in the manual. (Yes, I'm one of THOSE kind of guys... Not mechanically intuitive!)

I've tried to do some reading on other forums, but I'm still not sure how to troubleshoot it. I can take it back to Menards if it's a warranty issue. Does it just need a fuel additive to stabilize? Did I put in too much oil? Where do I start without voiding the warranty?
Any help would be appreciated.

Personally, I would load that blower back on the truck, take it back and let them deal with it. If you went "by the book" and there's a problem I would think it would be covered by the warranty.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #5 of 7 Old 11-12-2014, 12:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
If there is water in the cylinder, there could be other problems. If you can, return it. Otherwise, start by removing the spark plug and make sure everything if dry.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-18-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Solution?

So I called MTD customer service, which identified the problem as having too much oil in the engine. They recommended I drain the oil back to an appropriate level and let it run for a few minutes. (I had put in 1 quart, which was less than the oil tank's capacity, but MTD said sometimes the stores will put in oil, so you don't start at empty. I specifically checked the oil guage beforehand, and it had been empty, but whatever...)

So I drained the oil until it was under "Full" and above "Empty" per the oil guage. Still smoke. Still smelly.

At that point, I took it to the warranty/repair shop to have them look at it. They said it was basically fine, ran it for a good while, cleaned it up, and charged me $20. So I'm hoping that this clears it all up...literally! I'll repost if it turns out it was something more than just user error / too much oil.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-18-2014, 09:34 AM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 125
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 962
Likes (Received): 218
Garage
Hope this turns out well for you, nice machine at a clearance price. Too bad they charged you anything at all. Was it your fault? Well maybe, but hooking you for $20 seems crappy on their part. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page