LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 11-14-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
no start

I have a Craftsman Eager-1 3.5 hp 2 stage snowblower that I picked up for $20.00. Got it home, and thoroughly cleaned the carburetor which was green inside from bad gas. I got a new carb kit, replaced the bowl gasket, new needle and washer for the bowl jet. I also drained all the gas in the tank. I did not replace the spark plug.

I added gas from my lawnmower gas can (mind you this is gas from early in the summer....)Hit the primer a few times, and On the first pull, I got it to cough. Second, third, and fourth pulls it ran for about 3-5 seconds and stalled. Then nothing on every other pull from that point on.

So I looked at the spark plug, and it was black with soot. Went to the store and got a new one. Installed the new plug. Several pulls and still nothing.

So I'm wondering what the issue could be...? I looked in the gas tank, and saw some debris. I'm wondering of some of the debris may have worked its way to the carburetor? Do I need to tear apart the carburetor again and clean it again?

I'm just lost cuz I got it to run (if only briefly) but now it won't turn over at all. Maybe I added bad gas...I don't know. Thoughts?

no start-img_2259.jpg

no start-img_2260.jpg

no start-img_2261.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 11-14-2014, 09:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
You can drop the carb bowl fairly easily to check if anything is dirty in there. Did you replace the fuel line? Those can start to rot from the inside and leave little pieces of rubber in the carb.

Check for spark first. Just pull the plug out and hold it against the engine with the wire connected.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 54 Old 11-14-2014, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'll do that in the am. No I did not replace the fuel line. Though I'm sure it needs done. Any other ideas for troubleshooting?
post #4 of 54 Old 11-14-2014, 09:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Engines need 3 things to run. Fuel, compression and spark. Compression can sort of be felt while pulling the rope. Spark is easy to check with the plug out. Fuel can be tested by spraying some gas in the choke or dumping some down the plug hole.

post #5 of 54 Old 11-14-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just verified I have spark. And I can feel the compression. must be the fuel - I'll pull the bowl, and look into a new fuel line as mentioned. thx
post #6 of 54 Old 11-14-2014, 09:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Pull the plug and pour a tiny bit of gas down the hole, put it back together and pull the starter. If it sputters and runs a few seconds you have a carb problem.

post #7 of 54 Old 11-14-2014, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
you the man Shryp! added some gas, and it sputtered right out. Gotta get that carb apart again. Which sux cuz it wasn't all that easy to put back together. Oh welll...thanks again
post #8 of 54 Old 11-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
Because I've done it I'm going to ask. Does it have a fuel valve and did you open it when you tried to start it ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 54 Old 11-15-2014, 04:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
You can pull the bowl off the carb without removing the carb from the engine. Also, did you set the adjustment needles correctly? It might just need a bit of an adjustment. The main jet on the bottom is suppose to be around 1.5 - 2 turns out and the idle jet on the side is suppose to be 1 - 1.5 turns out. Somewhere around there should get her running and then you can play with them to get it right.

post #10 of 54 Old 11-15-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok. So I replaced the fuel line. I replaced the primer line. I cleaned all the debris from the gas tank. I cleaned the carburetor a second time (there was some trash in it again). I confirmed that I have spark. I can feel compression. The issue MUST be fuel RIGHT?

Now, ...I have a different set of issues. When I pull the starter cord, there is a loud squealing sound coming from the engine I think. That was NOT there yesterday when I got the machine to cough by adding a bit of gas in the spark plug hole. When I remove the spark plug, there is no squealing sound. Only when the spark plug is screwed in.

There are three issues that I noticed today:
1. There appears to be quite a bit of old oil/grease in all areas of the machine. Not sure if that is due to an oil leak somewhere, or if the previous owner just never cleaned the unit.

2. When I reassembled the carburetor today, and hooked up the lines and added gas, I noticed that gas began to pour out of the bowl. So I tightened the bowl jet further, and I'm pretty sure that stopped the leak. But I wonder if I flooded the bowl somehow?

3. The above mentioned squealing sound

Anyway, here is a brief video of the issues I'm having:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page