LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-15-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Water in fuel, or just bad gas?

Got a freebie Craftsman Tecumseh 5 hp 2-stroke single stage blower from someone who said it last ran several years ago. Has good compression and spark, but when I put fuel in there wasn't a pop of response when I tried starting it. Took the lower housing off to access the carb, pressed in the bowl drain and I got a trickle of rusty looking fluid, very thick...but no scent. Set the blower on the front so the carb was horizontal and took the bowl off, it had about a spoonful of what looked like thick rusty sludge...the pin that held the float bowl on was rusted to about the thickness of a paper clip. Need to replace the float (corroded) the pin, the float needle is long since gone so I need to replace that plus the seat. The stuff in the bowl and on the bottom of the carb looks like wet iron filings but there is no scent at all. I think it's water but not sure...guy I got it from said he always had it indoors and the fuel cap on. Any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-15-2014, 07:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2898
Likes (Received): 537
Hello JD. By the time you buy a carb kit and float for $10?, you may be better off with a new carb if you are absolutely sure you have spark and strong compression. It almost sounds like the engine was stored with straight gas and no oil mix. Removing the welch plugs and cleaning every small passage in the carb may be next to impossible even with an ultra sonic cleaner. Will the engine start with a little fuel down the spark plug hole? If it does start, "I" would get another carb, but, you have nothing to lose trying to clean the old carb. Good luck.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-15-2014, 07:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
Hello JD. By the time you buy a carb kit and float for $10?, you may be better off with a new carb if you are absolutely sure you have spark and strong compression. It almost sounds like the engine was stored with straight gas and no oil mix. Removing the welch plugs and cleaning every small passage in the carb may be next to impossible even with an ultra sonic cleaner. Will the engine start with a little fuel down the spark plug hole? If it does start, "I" would get another carb, but, you have nothing to lose trying to clean the old carb. Good luck.
GRUNT'S OVER 400 POST'S NOW.:coo l:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 9 Old 11-15-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post

Thanks for your feedback...I should have mentioned it did fire up with gas in the plug hole. I used to have several Tecumseh engined push mowers and had the carb kits needed to repair those, and they will fit the blower. Not going to get a new carb...if I cannot get this one clean I will just save it for parts...I have another of the exact same model. Should have claified that when I put fuel in the TANK it would not fire at all.

Congrats on getting over the 400 post mark !!!
post #5 of 9 Old 11-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
do you have pictures?
post #6 of 9 Old 11-15-2014, 10:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2898
Likes (Received): 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
Thanks for your feedback...I should have mentioned it did fire up with gas in the plug hole. I used to have several Tecumseh engined push mowers and had the carb kits needed to repair those, and they will fit the blower. Not going to get a new carb...if I cannot get this one clean I will just save it for parts...I have another of the exact same model. Should have claified that when I put fuel in the TANK it would not fire at all.

Congrats on getting over the 400 post mark !!!
It is pretty amazing how the part number 631021B carb kit fits so many carbs.

Hopefully a few of my posts have helped people.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2014, 10:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
check all the passages in the carb, including the ones you CAN'T SEE, and are hidden, i.e. air bleeds

see this thread

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...tml#post306681

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #8 of 9 Old 11-22-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hello guys...it has been so darn cold here I didn't do anything more to the machine until today...I cleaned the carb as well as I could using carb cleaner (leaving it on the engine) and installed a Tecumseh parts kit I had purchased for a Craftsman mower 15 years ago...replaced the float and pivot, the needle, spring and seat, the main jet and gasket plus the fuel line and filter...put in fresh 40/1 fuel-oil mix and it fired right up after a half dozen pulls. Seems to run a tad rough when cold but okay when warm so maybe the main jet is off a little. I didn't want to pull the carb unless I had to. Put some dry gas in the fuel mix in the hopes it may take the gunk out of the carb interior. Now I have two of these, about 2003 vintage Craftsman...I paid $285 with tax for the new one back then (floor sample) and it has required nothing except a new belt and fuel lines and filter. What a deal !!!
post #9 of 9 Old 11-23-2014, 09:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Received): 51
Dry gas is just adding more alcohol to the fuel system, which isn't good. Get a can off Seafoam and mix it in the gas, on the strong side. And run a few tanks of that. It may help clean the carb, internally.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page