looky here Tecumseh carb problem mystery solved - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 11-17-2014, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 79
looky here Tecumseh carb problem mystery solved

for quite a few years I've been cleaning out carbs on car/truck engines, and a lot of small engines i.e. tractors, lawnmowers, snowblowers, chainsaws, weedwackers, generators, tillers, etc.

most of the small engines were Briggs and responded well to cleaning. a few needed new needle/seat. a very few needed new floats, only a couple.

I read a lot of Tecumseh carb problem threads online, and many put kits in those carbs but they simply don't respond sometimes and the carb must be replaced. this made no sense to me as the Tec. carb is so darn simple, there's almost nothing inside it. until recently every Tec carb I cleaned out responded and ran well.

that was until now, when this AMF Dynamark HM80 threw me a new challenge like others have had- a Tec. 8HP carb that simply doesn't respond to a rebuild.

this particular carb was so carbon-ed up the throttle was stuck wide open. It took about an hour of soaking in gas and spraying with PB blaster just to free the throttle up. that is a bad sign, meaning the rest of the carb is just as bad.

the passage behind the idle mixture screw was plugged, and the tiny idle passage in the idle jet was plugged solid. I poked both of them out.

the float had pinholes and had gas inside it, I replaced the float. Also the gasket, needle, seat.

the engine would still hunt, idle fast, then stall, could not set mixtures or idle. WTH ??

so this carb had to go UNDER THE KNIFE to expose the IDLE JET passage that is inside the main nozzle well riser. this passage is drilled from the side, then plugged from the factory, so you can't get at it to clean it- unless you grind or drill the passage open again.

I ground it open and whattyaknow, it was blocked with a ton of crap on the INSIDE. I cleaned that jet out good. Now the trick will be closing up the passage I ground open.

truth be told sometimes you have to break something the first time to learn how to fix it right, so I may have to get a new carb. But I'm pretty sure my expert welder friend can TIG or MIG this shut again.

this passage goes into the threaded part of the main well where the needle jet threads in, and you can't see it from the top. You may be able to poke it out with a allen-wrench shaped pin, but that will just push the debris into the idle circuit.

the correct way to fix this, is put it in a small drill press, drill the side plug out, clean the passage, then tap the hole you just drilled with a small tap, and screw in the proper set screw to seal it back up

see pics. there are threads online where the guys fixing these say they drilled out the "ball plug" on top. don't try it, that plug is hardened and won't drill out. you have to drill the soft side plug, the tiny one. the main jet inside is .030" and lets fuel from the main jet bleed off into the idle circuit, then get controlled by the mixture screw above in the carb body, and mixed with air and emulsified, then discharged into the idle discharge ports, or which there are 3.

if this inner port is blocked, and many of the old carbs ARE, you can rebuild it and soak it until **** won't have it, and the carb won't work. compressed air may not even remove it. the stuff that I dug out of this carb was like CONCRETE. that small port was completely blocked and piled up with debris inside.

you don't get to this point without a lot of R&D, trial/error, experience, time, grease, grime, dirty hands, etc.

so Merry Christmas, fellas. clean this passage and keep those old Tec. engines going, with the original carb, rather than bolting on a Chinese carb.

BTW I noticed the new Chinese main jets have small idle ports in them than the original main jets. the new Chicom ones are only .015", the originals are .020" clean the old jet and re-use it, it is calibrated richer

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines

Last edited by greatwhitebuffalo; 11-18-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-17-2014, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
other passages

be sure to get a complete kit with the welch plugs, pull the side plug, it covers the (3) idle and off-idle circuit DISCHARGE HOLES, and also accepts the end of the IDLE AIR BLEED. this is where the idle fuel mixes with air then is discharged at idle into the carb bore. make sure all 3 of these tiny holes are clear. as the throttle opens, another hole is exposed and begins to pull fuel. if one is blocked, there will be problems i.e. stalling, surging, etc.

1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #3 of 22 Old 11-17-2014, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
air bleeds

each circuit in a carb, be it small engine or car, has an AIR BLEED, usually located at the entrance to the carb bore. make sure they are all clear

one bleed is for the MAIN BOWL
one if for the IDLE CIRCUIT
and the hidden one behind the choke plate shaft, is for the MAIN CIRCUIT and goes directly to the main well. this one is hidden and you have to look at it from the side to see it in there, behind the choke plate SHAFT itself. if you close the choke one or 2 notches, you can see it easier from the side

the 2 on the left in this picture, go to the float bowl vent under the welch plug in top of float bowl, and idle circuit air bleed that goes to the idle discharge port area under the side welch plug. again, if these are plugged, she ain't gonna run

1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
post #4 of 22 Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
finally, check the MAIN WELL AIR BLEED found behind the choke shaft, hidden by the shaft unless you look sideways in there at an angle with a light, and close the choke a notch or 2.

you can barely see the passage in these pictures, but it's there

if this one is blocked, ditto, she ain't gonna run !

look closely at this picture, in the bottom of the carb bore just behind the choke shaft, is the main well air bleed

1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
post #5 of 22 Old 11-17-2014, 09:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 3
Send a message via AIM to SteelyTim
Good to know, thanks for the tip!

I've historically avoided HM80s at all costs because of weird carb issues. I've had a good success rate, but there were one or two that I just couldn't get totally right, which is probably the issue that you outlined.
post #6 of 22 Old 11-17-2014, 09:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 35
I went through that last year with my carb that wouldn't idle. I ended up cutting the entire end of the idle passages and recreating it with JB weld. Started perfectly last week.

'77 Ariens 924032 "Brick House" Re-Powered with a TEC 10HP and oversize auger pulley
post #7 of 22 Old 11-17-2014, 11:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 2796
Likes (Received): 504
That was a great write up greatwhitebuffalo . Thanks for taking the time and effort to document it.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-17-2014, 11:36 AM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 112
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 897
Likes (Received): 209
Garage
Good job, thanks for good info.
post #9 of 22 Old 11-17-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyTim View Post
Good to know, thanks for the tip!

I've historically avoided HM80s at all costs because of weird carb issues. I've had a good success rate, but there were one or two that I just couldn't get totally right, which is probably the issue that you outlined.
this type of carb is used on ALL the old Tecumsehs, from 3.5HP up to 10HP that I know of,including 4-5-6-7-8-9HP

all the old "HM" series engines have that design.

if the clogging in the idle circuit isn't too bad or not hardened from sitting over years, you can soak the carb, and blow the highest pressure air down the main well, with the idle mixture screw removed, and you may get lucky most of the time and dislodge and blow the debris out of there

but if it's hardened like calcium concrete, then you have to pick open every passage with a pin or drill bit, no way around it. you can soak the carb until the cows come home, and not clear that passage if it was dried up in there

1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
post #10 of 22 Old 11-17-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by nt40lanman View Post
I went through that last year with my carb that wouldn't idle. I ended up cutting the entire end of the idle passages and recreating it with JB weld. Started perfectly last week.
good show ! nice work.

another thing you can do, just let the existing passage be if it's blocked, let it blocked, drill another .030" hole straight through just below the existing side plug for the original idle passage. then plug the outer hole you just drilled, leaving the inner hole. presto new idle jet and no hole to tap and replug.

1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page