What Maintenance do you Do on a Snowblower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 11-20-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
What Maintenance do you Do on a Snowblower

OK, so what routine maintenance do you do on a snowblower? With my old blower, now defunct, I ran it dry to winterize it and changed the oil each spring. I'll be buying a new Ariens, but what preventative maintenance do you users who have your new....10...20....30....40 year old snowblowers do to keep them running year after year? Lubrication? Waxing? Belt replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 11-20-2014, 10:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
Use Stabil fuel treatment.....you can't beat it.....prevents the needle valves from sticking during the time your not using the engine. Fill the tank to the top to prevent moisture from forming inside of the fuel tank,,also when your not using it.

Be Happy !!
post #3 of 51 Old 11-20-2014, 11:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 12
Spray fogging oil into the combustion chamber prior to storage
Give it the once-over with the power washer
Keep the wire disconnected from the spark plug
Drain and fill the oil
Maintain tire pressure
Use fresh and treated fuel
Grease the augers
Replace rusted hardware
Keep the internals greased up
Check/replace the bushings for the axle and auger
Treat any rust
Start the motor every now and then during its storage
Install a fuel filter and shut off valve

1972 Ariens 13/32 restored & repowered
1971 Ariens 7/24 (retired)
2011 Ariens Deluxe 24
1980 Ariens st7/24 (retired)
1985 Ariens st10/36
post #4 of 51 Old 11-21-2014, 06:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 79
change the oil to a synthetic in the engine, fresh oil in the gearbox, run the carb dry of gas, shut the petcock off, and preferably drain the tank too.
the best rust prevention is spray the machine with a light coat of oil, or wipe it down with an oily rag

if you put synthetic in the engine you don't have to change the oil every year. more like every 5 years or more.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #5 of 51 Old 11-21-2014, 07:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 900
Or you can just kind of clean it off a little and push it to the back of the shed and glance at it from time to time during the summer months. Another route to take is to push it under your deck and cover it with a plastic tarp and forget about it till the first snow of the next season.

Of course this is couched in sarcasm but lots of people do these things then ask why in the dickens won't it start or operate properly?
Then sometimes you can do all the right things, fogging, dry storage, empty carb, etc.... And you get it out well before the first snow only to find it won't run etc. But at least you know you did the right thing and diagnosis will be easier.
If you're a little savvy wbout how things operate common sense will get you a long way.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #6 of 51 Old 11-21-2014, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
I have a '71 Ariens, this will be my 7th winter with it.
I always use seafoam in the gas, every time I use it.
In the spring I drain the gas from the tank, and remove the carb bowl to make sure the carb is also free of gas..I leave it disassembled for a few days to let any remaining gas evaporate away, then put the bowl back on. I *dont* change the oil in the Spring, although there is nothing wrong with doing it that way.

In late October or early November I prep it for the upcoming season.

1. Drain out the old oil. I wire a funnel to the drain tube, into an empty milk jug, and let the oil drip out for 24 hours or so, just to make sure as much as possible is out.

2. Put a tag on the handlebars that says "NO OIL!" I dont always do this, but I should..there are known stories of guys doing their spring (or fall) snowblower prep, getting everything done, *forgetting* they haven't added new oil yet! and starting up the machine..

3. Tip her up into "service position", (I leave the engine oil out for this step, and no gas in the tank, so it wont drip out anywhere.)

remove the bottom cover, and lube anything that moves with white lithium grease.
cover the friction disk with a rag to prevent grease from getting on the disk.
bolt the cover back on, and tip her back on the wheels.

4. remove the shear pins from the augers, use a grease gun to push grease into the auger grease zerks, spin the augers to distribute the grease, put the shear bolts back.

5. Check the oil level in the gear case. (mine never loses oil, its always full..IMO this is not something that needs to be replaced *every* year, maybe every 2nd or 3rd year..that one is a judgement call.)

6. Check the tire pressure, add air if necesary.

7. Lube the handlebar cables with light oil. I also lube the other end of the throttle cable at the carb, and put a drop of oil on the various moving bits of the carb linkages, move the throttle lever back and forth to see what moves. I bought an antique oil can on ebay! the kind you press on the bottom to make the oil come out..I think it was 5 bucks..I fill it with the same engine oil I use in the snowblower.

8. Add new engine oil, check for the correct level with the dipstick...add or remove oil as necessary..(I have over-filled before and have to remove some!)

9. Add fresh gas, turn on the gas shut-off valve if you have one.

10. Start her up! check all systems. If all is good, put her back in the garage and she is ready for the first snow.

I have a more detailed list here that I made a few years ago, for doing maintenance in the spring..it lists the major steps, although I dont follow this exact procedure anymore:

The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.

Here is a good video, and there are several more on youtube:

donyboy73 is THE man on youtube, his channel is awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sscotsman; 11-21-2014 at 08:17 AM.
post #7 of 51 Old 11-21-2014, 08:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 900
I've'always said take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. I know that's not original but it's true.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #8 of 51 Old 11-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
I have a toro 824 model 38080 with a honda gx 200 clone. I drain the fuel before off season storage, check the belts, grease the augers and the shift linkage in the tractor assembly. in late fall i change the oil, add gas, and pull the cord once and smile as the engine starts on the first pull. then I test all of the functions like the augers and transmission. i then turn the fuel cutoff to the off position and allow it to burn off the fuel in the carb. i then store it and park it until i need it.
post #9 of 51 Old 11-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3832
Likes (Received): 1473
Garage
It's been pretty much covered. It's just a matter of keeping an eye on it. Literally looking it over every so often and lubing anything you can and keeping it clean and wax when you can.
I'm a fan of Stabil Marine (Marine because it handles moisture better) and I add it to every batch of gas just in case I do forget to drain something. I prefer to empty the fuel tank and run the carb dry if I remember.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 12-01-2014 at 10:35 AM.
post #10 of 51 Old 11-24-2014, 07:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
I'm a fan of Stabil Marine (Marine because it handles moisture better) and I add it to every batch of gas just in case I do forget to drain something.
I am such a fan of this stuff. I have a boat and jet skis and this stuff keeps them from getting gunked up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page