post #1 of 14 Old 11-22-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Gravel vs blower

Howdy,
Does anyone have any recommendations on scraper height settings for clearing gravel lots?

I've got the blade about 3/8" off the ground and was chucking a fair bit of stone this week. I'm afraid raising it any higher is going to sacrifice a decent clearing job when I get to the concrete sidewalk...don't want to have to stop and adjust on the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-22-2014, 12:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
You don't have much choice when you deal with two different surfaces, some adjust their skids with their scraper 1" and more. Do you have armor skids? As it helps to float better on gravel.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 32
I look at it this way, if it snows 2" or less, most folks won't clear the snow, unless they just got a new blower, not including walks or sidewalks. I have 3/4" blue stone on part of my 400' driveway, so I have to have about 1 1/4 inch clearance on my blower. I still pick up a stone once in a while, and they do mess up the paint.
Sid
post #4 of 14 Old 11-22-2014, 02:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 2
I have this exact issue,what I try to do is the first few cm of snow I just let the car compact on my gravel drive. Otherwise no matter what gravel ends up in the auger. I dream of the day I win the lotto and can ashphalt or pave stone my driveway.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
I have gravel too. It's a little over 90 yards of the stuff to the street. I also let a car pack it down a bit and also freeze. I have mine set about an 1" up and that seems to work really well for me.
If you have a mix of surfaces you either sacrifice the gravel by tossing it through your machine and into the yard or you sacrifice a close neat operation on your asphalt or concrete. I don't know how you can do both unless you adjust the machine when switching from one to the other or have two machines one set up for each surface.

If you installed adjustable lawnmower wheels on the bucket making that adjustment mid-job might be reasonable.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-22-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Thanks guys. I'm also aiming for the compact snow above gravel but was curious about other options. I'm currently using universal replacement skids that look like black plastic ovals.

K4F, that picture is exactly what I was thinking but certain someone had thought of it first. I wonder if there's a way to do it without wheels and have the mechanism move the skids. Kinda look like training wheels!
post #7 of 14 Old 11-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
The lawnmower option is more bolt on. The assembly can be taken off a mower and bolted on a blower. I'm sure you can make an adjustable skid mechanism it's just a matter of imagination and some tinkering. Done right it would blend in pretty well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-22-2014, 05:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 34
Garage
I have mine set for an inch with the skids pointed up in the front as my owner's manual instructs.
Worked out good when I tried it for the first time over grass, gravel, and a pavestone side walk.
The inch left behind seems pretty sloppy compared to using my shovel, but last season I realized I'm getting too old for that ****.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skid adjustment.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	26441  
post #9 of 14 Old 11-22-2014, 08:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
Set your clearance as high as your happy with.....with gravel your going to tear up the high speed auger and housing regardless. Good luck
post #10 of 14 Old 11-22-2014, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyP View Post
Set your clearance as high as your happy with.....with gravel your going to tear up the high speed auger and housing regardless. Good luck
When I pack some snow down and let it freeze I don't suck in any rock. I don't tear up anything which is the point of packing some snow down and then setting the skids so I'm leaving some behind. I never see gravel all winter but I don't have traction issues and I don't tear up my equipment or toss stone.

I did get a nice set of dual sided Ariens skids for the Troy and they work well. Not sure I would take the advise of angling the front of my skids down as in the diagram for packed snow ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page