No Spark Tecumseh HS50 on a 1978 Ariens 932006 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-22-2014, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
No Spark Tecumseh HS50 on a 1978 Ariens 932006

Hey All,

New to the forum and hoping for some help with a Tecumseh HS50 -67008B engine for a 1978 Ariens model 932006 Snowblower (My grandfathers). Iím sure I will discover other issues as I continue but at the moment I am stuck almost at the beginning Ö Lack of a spark. At best I can get a very occasional spark.

My original diagnosis was it had to be something to do with the coil/magneto. I was able to get a replacement Tecumseh coil/magneto assembly complete with a new coil, points and condenser but that hasnít solved it. Despite setting the points (.020), checking every connection over and over and testing every possible thing I can think to test with a meter. I still canít figure it out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Happy to post picture and/or answer any questions to hopefully pinpoint and solve the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-23-2014, 12:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Welcome to the forum, I wonder when you close the throttle it shuts the engine? If so there is a small wire that would go to a ground and to the ignition coil and it may be pinched or simply bad, did you check the continuity of this wire? I could be way off base with these older models.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-23-2014, 01:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 1
The throttle wouldn't cause shut-off but this model does have a key - I would bypass that part of the ignition circuitry. You're replaced the plug and made sure you're making a good ground connection between the plug and engine while testing for spark?
post #4 of 12 Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by same0717 View Post
Hey All,

New to the forum and hoping for some help with a Tecumseh HS50 -67008B engine for a 1978 Ariens model 932006 Snowblower (My grandfathers). I’m sure I will discover other issues as I continue but at the moment I am stuck almost at the beginning … Lack of a spark. At best I can get a very occasional spark.

My original diagnosis was it had to be something to do with the coil/magneto. I was able to get a replacement Tecumseh coil/magneto assembly complete with a new coil, points and condenser but that hasn’t solved it. Despite setting the points (.020), checking every connection over and over and testing every possible thing I can think to test with a meter. I still can’t figure it out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Happy to post picture and/or answer any questions to hopefully pinpoint and solve the problem.

most likely the points are not flat and making contact, or are internally shorted, I've seen this on old cars and on snowblowers, even if the parts are new. also you could have a new condenser that's bad.

the best thing to do there, is do away with the points, and install a Nova II electronic ignition- it only costs 12 bucks and connects with 2 wires. presto- solved.

I obtained a Yardman Snowbird 5HP machine that had the same problem yours has. The thread is on this forum somewhere. Previous owner installed new points, condenser, plug, coil and no spark.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...challenge.html

I got it for 30 bucks, saved from the scrapper via a Craigslist ad, and put the Nova II on it, and it started right up. If you look at the thread you'll see the new ignition stuff he put on.

the new points are made low quality and don't work sometimes.

also I had an old car, I put new points/condenser on, and the car would not start for 2 days. put the old condenser back on, it started right up.

don't trust these new parts. I don't mess with points anymore, I buy those Nova II boxes 5 at a time on Ebay, and when I get a machine that doesn't run, put the Nova II on. It's cheaper than points and more reliable.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines

Last edited by greatwhitebuffalo; 11-23-2014 at 06:31 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-23-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the quick replies all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancon View Post
The throttle wouldn't cause shut-off but this model does have a key - I would bypass that part of the ignition circuitry. You're replaced the plug and made sure you're making a good ground connection between the plug and engine while testing for spark?
Correct this model has a key. As he suggested I have tried bypassing the ignition circuitry. I replaced the plug about 6 months ago when I was first working on this issue and the plug fires easily and another small engine I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitebuffalo View Post
most likely the points are not flat and making contact, or are internally shorted, I've seen this on old cars and on snowblowers, even if the parts are new. also you could have a new condenser that's bad.

the best thing to do there, is do away with the points, and install a Nova II electronic ignition- it only costs 12 bucks and connects with 2 wires. presto- solved.

I obtained a Yardman Snowbird 5HP machine that had the same problem yours has. The thread is on this forum somewhere. Previous owner installed new points, condenser, plug, coil and no spark.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...challenge.html

I got it for 30 bucks, saved from the scrapper via a Craigslist ad, and put the Nova II on it, and it started right up. If you look at the thread you'll see the new ignition stuff he put on.

the new points are made low quality and don't work sometimes.

also I had an old car, I put new points/condenser on, and the car would not start for 2 days. put the old condenser back on, it started right up.

don't trust these new parts. I don't mess with points anymore, I buy those Nova II boxes 5 at a time on Ebay, and when I get a machine that doesn't run, put the Nova II on. It's cheaper than points and more reliable.

Thanks for that great suggestion. I will certainly pick up some Nova II to have around anyway even if I can solve the issue. In your best guess could I probably find a Nova II at a local small engine shop and or hardware store so I could continue to work on the blower today vs having to wait for one ordered? Also how exactly do you connect the Nova II? From the post you linked it looks like you remove both the condenser and points and only leave the coil ?

A few pictures...

Last edited by same0717; 11-23-2014 at 10:45 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-23-2014, 12:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Cool shots!
I've got 932006 ser. 012800ish, pretty close!
post #7 of 12 Old 11-23-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks

Tried a couple local shops this morning looking for a Nova II with no luck so ended up ordering online certainly one benefit of the internet you can truly find just about anything!
post #8 of 12 Old 11-23-2014, 02:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 276
Likes (Given): 2803
Likes (Received): 506
Since the ignition assembly is new, did you try putting a little alcohol on a clean business card and running it through the closed points to clean off any assembly lube? From the photos angle, it looks like the uninsulated coil wire is touching the case and possibly shorting out the spark? Have you confirmed the points are opening and closing completely?

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008 (Gone)
Toro 721-QZR (38741) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-23-2014, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have not cleaned the closed points with a little alcohol. I will try that. That is just the angle of the photos the uninsulated coil wire is not touching the case. Best I can tell points are opening and closing completely.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-23-2014, 05:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
points can be internally shorted to ground, or staying open if the points close and the 2 halves of the contacts are not perfectly parallel. that's the problem I saw with new points, they are made in China and are low quality, and won't spark.

also a new condenser can be a bad condenser, and made in China worse yet by a factor of 10x

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page