LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens SnoTek 28" carb issue

My SnowTek 28" snow blower (Ariens model 920403 SN 075000+) won't start. I summer-ized it in the spring, draining the fuel, etc. Upon inspection I noticed the primer line was cracked (the machine is only 1- 1/2 seasons old) so I replaced it. It started, ran for 1 second and stopped. I removed the carb and it looks very clean with no gumming. I resembled, pumped 4 times and again it ran for 1 sec. So next time I kept pumping it. That barely worked to keep it running. Long story short, I discovered if I put a long tube to replace the primer tube on the carburetor and kept a bit of air pressure on this, the engine starts and runs fine. As soon as I release the pressure, the engine dies. What could this be?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 07:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 274
Likes (Given): 2784
Likes (Received): 502
Hello and welcome to the forum eclecicangler . You obviously know something about small engines if you tried pressurizing the carb bowl with air. Some of the small passages in the low speed jet section are clogged with dirt or varnish from unsatablized fuel. You blowing into the tube forced the fuel into the carb as opposed to the engine vacuum drawing it in. It would be best to thoroughly clean the carb and then add some Seafoam (engine cleaner) to the fuel tank . Just my opinion.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 07:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1098
BROTHER GRUNT always has a plan in hand for those carb problems. ALOHA to the forms..: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hey thanks Grunt. I realize I misspelled my username! It should have been EclecticAngler! Oh well.

Ok, that's what I thought. So, I removed the carb, removed the jet. Cleaned surface dirt and its's been in my ultrasonic cleaner at 60C for 2 hours with 3 water changes. It looks like new now. I'll try to find some Seafoam.

Cheers,
Michael
post #5 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Of course, my "urgency" is due to the big storm we're getting today and tomorrow - a Thanksgiving surprise.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 08:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 3
Send a message via AIM to SteelyTim
Usually in a case like this, I'll shoot carb cleaner down through the primer port. This should in effect fill up the float bowl past the float close level and force gas out of the primer squirt hole. Might get a couple tablespoons full of gas out, just FYI. Usually that will effectively clean the circuit out.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 9
Just for giggles, also check the gas flow out of the hose coming from the tank. I just had some weird running stuff with a friends machine and he I found that the fuel line had delaminated and collapsed on itself. From looking or squeezing the line you could never tell it. More than likely this coming from the rotten ethanol
post #8 of 23 Old 11-26-2014, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys. cdestuck, I did check that and fuel is flowing freely. Thanks for the idea though, it's always the simple thing you overlook!
post #9 of 23 Old 11-27-2014, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well, I still have a problem.

After disassembling the carb I ultrasonic cleaned it for 3 hrs at 60C. I then blew out the passages and warm dried it at 50C overnight. I noticed a thin layer of enamel on the float had dried (I did not ultrasound this part) and flaked off. I cleaned with mineral spirits, dried and then reassembled. I didn't have new gaskets but the carb is only 1-1/2 seasons old and the original bowl gasket looked fine. I also made sure the jet was clean and the emulsion tube was clean.

It started right up (electric start) and then immediately died. Long story short, I am experiencing the same symptoms, I need to keep pressure on the the prime tube to keep it running. So I am trying SteelyTim's suggestion now, I squirted carb cleaner into the primer port tube. I tried it once and immediately tested, same start-stop result. I am going to let the cleaner work for 15 minutes while I warm up and write this and try it again.

I did verify that gas is flowing from the tank freely and I checked the fuel filter at the top of the tank, it was like new clean.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-27-2014, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
After 15 minutes I was able to start and keep it running without pressurizing the priming tube. As it warmed up I closed the choke down and it kept running - sounded pretty stable. After about 3 minutes I reached down to remove the extension tube from the primer port and just as soon as I pulled on that tube the engine died. I was able to restart again - with difficulty - and able to move the machine under it's own power to test. That was fine, again, attempting to remove the extension tube I placed on the primer port caused it to stall again. Now I can't get it started at all. Removed the plug, it was wet so I dried it. I hope my starter motor isn't blown. In my frustration I let it get overheated. Now it isn't working. I'm hoping there is a thermal cutoff in it and it will be ok when it cools down. Looks like I get to shovel a 100' long double wide driveway with 8" of heavy snow on it by hand so we can head to Thanksgiving Dinner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page