White snow blower, how to remove spiral pins so that I can replace end bearing. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-07-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
White snow blower, how to remove spiral pins so that I can replace end bearing.

"I have a White snowblower, model, White Outdoor 31AE5E3F190 Snow Boss 950W (1999).

The left spiral rubs against the blower housing. I suspect that the outer bearing where the end of the shaft is against the left side of the blower housing is trashed and is allowing it to move about.

I must pull the two spirals with attached gearbox and shaft out to replace the left bearing.

The shaft goes into the impeller with two spiral pins. If I manage to knock these back out (it appears that I should push them out to the right when horizontal so that the longer end protruding moves out first) will the shaft that drives the spirals simply pull out? Itís difficult to see looking at the schematics:

Lawn Mower Parts, Small Engine Parts & Much More! | PartsTree.com - Briggs, MTD, Toro, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Troy-bilt...

Model 31AE5E3F190, Serial Number: 1J068B70370 in case links are not allowed, I found schematics at partstree com

I cannot tell if the end of the shaft is splined or not and how it fits into the impeller and how to remove the impellor with the shaft and spirals. I had hoped that the impeller with shaft/gearbox and spirals would come out if the end bolts were removed but this did not work.

It seems like an easy fix (if I can get the assembly out) since the gear is not broken and the right spiral is tight, but the left wiggles around by about 1/8Ē inch. I canít imagine anything other than a damaged bearing at the end and the bearing is available for ~$25.

Suggestions? I have tried to tap out the spiral pins but itís been no go yet. Iíll try heat and pound but only if the shaft, once the pins are out is likely to pull out. Itíd be a very expensive fix should I have someone else do it at $60/hour. Since I only have a part-time job, Iíve got the time on my hands." It seems like there should be a spiral pin remover like a gear remover available but maybe not.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
Welcome to the forum Jsflynn
Please add a location to your profile so it pops up under your user name.

It's just a roll pin part #17 on the diagram and should be able to be pushed out using a punch or even a sturdy nail. If you remove them the impeller should be free of the shaft but normally you pull the augers, gearbox and impeller all in one part.

You need to remove the pulley on the back of the shaft behind the impeller that the drive belt rides on. Remove bolt #6 in this diagram to slid impeller shaft through the bearing in the housing and the auger assembly out the front of the auger housing.
Lawn Mower Parts, Small Engine Parts & Much More! | PartsTree.com - Briggs, MTD, Toro, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Troy-bilt...

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-08-2014, 03:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Yea, don't bother with the pins holding the impeller inside the drum part. You have to split the blower off of the tractor section, remove the large pulley for the belt and then slide the whole assembly forward. That shaft going straight back goes all the way through to the drive belt.

While you have it apart it is probably a good idea to replace the bearing behind the impeller as well.

Make sure the spirals are not seized to their shafts with rust. Remove the shear bolt and see if they spin.

Might want to change out the grease in the front gear case as well.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page