Ariens 926017 left tire only drives WHY? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-13-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 926017 left tire only drives WHY?

Ariens 926017 left tire only drives WHY? Iam thinking its the Disc-O-Matic or the auto differential
what can I do to check either and what are they??

Last edited by donyamaha123; 12-13-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-14-2014, 07:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
If it is straight axle make sure both wheels are pinned to the axle.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-16-2014, 08:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 6
This is not a straight axle. This would be an Auto Locking differential. Built for Ariens by Hillard.

Have you ever pulled the system apart and lube it?
post #4 of 13 Old 01-12-2015, 10:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
I have the same auto-locking diff/axle on my Ariens 28" Deluxe (250cc B&S Motor). When I squeeze the handle to unlock the wheels in a tight spot, it often will not re-lock when the handle is released. With only one wheel turning my machine is hard to control on rough pavement and practically helpless on even gentle inclines.

Machine was bought in 2011 but has only 20 hours on it. I bought it after the winter of 2010-11 and we haven't had a challenging winter since. (Albany, NY area)

I am prepared to get into/under the machine and see if I can't lube things up ... but this thing is practically brand new and I wouldn't think I'd have to do that ... yet.

What can I expect? Anything specific to look for? Will a spray lube be sufficient or will I need grease?
post #5 of 13 Old 01-13-2015, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3832
Likes (Received): 1473
Garage
Welcome to the forum Donyamaha

The "Disc_O_Matic" is just the Ariens term for the friction disc type of transmission. If one wheel is driving, the friction disc is working ok.
What Is Disc-O-Matic?

Have you pulled the bottom cover off yet to see if maybe it's iced up in there ?? Is your differential system the same as in the video - >

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-13-2015 at 08:14 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-13-2015, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3832
Likes (Received): 1473
Garage
Welcome to the forum Bror Jace

If you're following a thread because you have the same or similar issue that's no problem. However it's bad form to jump in and start asking questions about your problem. Maybe you should consider lurking on this thread or starting one of your own

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-13-2015, 07:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Kiss4aFrog, I saw this thread that seemed to be asking about a problem similar to mine ... so I posted. The thread also seem to be dying with the last post almost 4 weeks ago. Having participated in automotive forums for 15+ years, I like to see similar discussions all in the same thread ... it could become a resource for people looking for answers to similar problems.

I have rebuilt an older snowblower (My Dad's John Deere 1032 was retired with only about 30% of original parts still on it) but I haven't really dug into my Ariens yet. Buying a brand name and buying brand new, I didn't figure I'd need to once I checked that the main drive belts were on straight.

Between wigglin' the machine and flicking the actuator, I have been able to get the machine to re-lock in the past. It might have re-locked while just sitting in a semi-heated garage. It's kept in a house a mile and a half from my place so I can't check on it as often as I'd like.

Looking at that video, that appears to be the same design as my machine. I'll check the cable to see if I can adjust It ... and I'll make sure all moving pieces have some sort of lube on them, just to make sure they repel moisture, if nothing else.

Thanks for posting that vid.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-17-2015, 07:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I was reluctant to put my machine in the service position because I just changed the oil and didn't want to drain it again ... but I broke down and did it anyway.

After watching the video, I was expecting the cable was out of adjustment ... but that did not appear to be the case. After inspecting the mechanism and fiddlin' with it, I could see it click into place. It was just not moving as freely as it should have. I sprayed it with silicone spray ... and put a few drops of 3-in-1 on it and it seems fine (That's all that Mom had in her garage for me to work with).

Thanks the input.

Last edited by Bror Jace; 01-17-2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #9 of 13 Old 01-17-2015, 07:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 425
Likes (Received): 139

Phil

Ariens 2 foot SHO
post #10 of 13 Old 02-05-2015, 12:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Update: I thought I had this problem licked but during the last storm I unlocked the axle to make a tight turn and it wouldn't re-lock. Grrr. It took some severe jiggling the machine around and tapping at the lever, but it was able to re-lock so I could finish clearing.

Next time I drain the fluids and put the machine in the service position, I am going to spray brake parts cleaner on the mechanism to clean it. Then re-lube it with teflon spray and Remington Rem oil (very thin lubricant - not likely to thicken in the cold).

But seeing how new my machine is, I figured I wouldn't have to deal with something like this until I had at least a couple hundred hours on it.

2011 Ariens 28 Deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page