LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 12-18-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Tech H60 no spark after reassembly

I just completed replacing the connecting rod in my H60 motor. It's my first time opening a motor....you might call me a youtube mechanic. As far as I can tell, everything went back together correctly. No parts left over. I lined up the timing marks, etc. In the youtube video, the guy removed the crankshaft and removed the piston from the bottom. His reasoning was to save replacing a head gasket if he went in from the top. I hammered a bit on the flywheel before coming to the conclusion that replacing a three dollar gasket was going to be a lot easier than fighting with the flywheel.

So the motor is back on the snowblower, and I just tried to fire it up. It won't start, and the problem appears to be lack of spark. I tested this by removing the plug and holding it against the engine block while engaging the electric start. So now I'm wondering if I reassembled something incorrectly, or possibly damaged something while hammering on the flywheel. Or maybe the old plug wire didn't like being jostled around on the bench.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to proceed/troubleshoot this....hopefully starting with the least invasive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 12-18-2014, 01:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 140
Thanks (Received): 274
Likes (Given): 377
Likes (Received): 923
Did you gap the points correctly? Magnets ok inside the flywheel? Do you maybe have the kill switch improperly wired? Do you have the key in the slot? Start with the simplest thing and go from there. That wojld be working backwards from what I just posted.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 37 Old 12-18-2014, 01:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2898
Likes (Received): 537
Hello and welcome to the forum Tommy. Did you by chance remove the ignition coil? If you did, did you use a business card to set the air gap between the coil and the flywheel magnets? Also make sure the throttle is in the run position and you are using a KNOWN GOOD spark plug.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #4 of 37 Old 12-18-2014, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I did not (knowingly) remove the ignition coil or any other electrical components. The plug is a few years old, but was working last week when I threw the rod. Correct me if I'm wrong...the coil and points are behind the flywheel? I didn't remove the flywheel, but did give some good whacks with a hammer and wood block before coming to the conclusion that it's will to not move was stronger than mine to remove it. I removed the head instead.

There is no kill switch or key. This thing is 50 yrs old......
post #5 of 37 Old 12-18-2014, 02:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2898
Likes (Received): 537
Sorry Tommy, I didn't realize it had a points ignition. Your engine will have or should have an ignition cutoff on the throttle control. When you move the throttle to off, the linkage contacts a small spring that gets grounded and shuts off the spark, so make sure the throttle is set to run. Posting your engine numbers stamped into the top of the recoil shroud near the spark plug will let us know more about the engine. The numbers may be underneath the electric start push button assembly.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Last edited by Grunt; 12-18-2014 at 02:08 PM.
post #6 of 37 Old 12-18-2014, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
Sorry Tommy, I didn't realize it had a points ignition.
I don't *know* whether it has points or not...I only mentioned it because micah asked about them.

It's a Tecumseh H60-75003W motor. I'm not aware of a ignition cutoff on the throttle control. The throttle is a single cable going to the carb linkage. I've worked on the carb several times and never noticed a grounding spring. That doesn't mean it's not there...I just never noticed it. I didn't remove the carb during the dis-assembly I simply disconnected the throttle cable and the governor. I'm really hoping it's just something stupid that I missed, but I don't see any wires other than the plug wire.
post #7 of 37 Old 12-18-2014, 11:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
There has to be ONE other wire...it's the ignition kill, and its black, and will lead up under the flywheel...You may have inadvertently snagged that wire and its caught up under the shroud, and touching the block...thus grounding out the ignition [?]..
post #8 of 37 Old 12-19-2014, 06:28 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommymc View Post
it's will to not move was stronger than mine to remove it.
That is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time
If you post up a few pics of the motor, Grunt can set you straight on those Tecumsehs. Like most have posted, there is a wire from the underside of the flywheel that goes to the bottom of the throttle mechanism. Do you have a key switch? If you track that wiring, you'll see the wire that goes up inside the shrouding to the engine.

Last edited by jtclays; 12-19-2014 at 06:34 AM.
post #9 of 37 Old 12-19-2014, 06:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
Did you check the key on the flywheel? It could be sheared. Also, make sure the connector on the end of your plug wire is making good contact with the copper core. A good spark tool will give a better reading than holding the plug to ground. I would pan on pulling the flywheel to clean and reset the points as well. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #10 of 37 Old 12-19-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
That is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time
If you post up a few pics of the motor, Grunt can set you straight on those Tecumsehs. Like most have posted, there is a wire from the underside of the flywheel that goes to the bottom of the throttle mechanism. Do you have a key switch? If you track that wiring, you'll see the wire that goes up inside the shrouding to the engine.
There *is* a wire I'd overlooked running from the underside of the flywheel to the carb/linkage. I've wiggled it around, and it doesn't seem to be touching the block. No, there's no key switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead64
Did you check the key on the flywheel? It could be sheared. Also, make sure the connector on the end of your plug wire is making good contact with the copper core. A good spark tool will give a better reading than holding the plug to ground. I would pan on pulling the flywheel to clean and reset the points as well. MH
I didn't make note of the key. I just removed the recoil mechanism and shroud. Then backed the nut holding the flywheel out till it was flush with the wnd of the shaft. Then I placed a wood block on it (the nut) and whacked it with a hammer. When it didn't budge after a few tries, I didn't use force, I got a bigger hammer.

It's starting to sound like the flywheel is going to have to come off...the thing I was trying to avoid. When I get the motor back on the bench, I can take some pics. Until then, any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page