LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-24-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Greasing Auger Shafts alternatives

This is one of those little tips I've forgotten to post so here goes. Everyone (including myself) recommends if you disassemble the auger on a blower to grease up the auger shaft prior to putting the auger rakes back on, especially for those that don't have grease zerks on the auger rakes. It's a good way to help prevent rust from binding the augers and the shaft together.

Well I'm going to add another option: antiseize compound. I buy the stuff at my autoparts store in about a half pint bottle and it's got a brush on the top. Use it just like grease and coat the shaft before reassembly.

Now before you poo-poo this as just another something-or-other, here's why I'm suggesting this. I bought this snowblower a few years back mainly to get some parts off

As I started disassembling it, found the bones of the unit were good even though it had sat out so long rust had eaten a hole through one of the pulleys.
Imagine my surprise when the auger rakes slid off the shaft with no issues even though rust existed throughout the machine. When checking it out, I found that the last person that had worked on it smeared the auger shaft with antiseize before reassembling.
I filed that away while I decided to bring that one back from the dead.

I took a couple of my keeper machines and did the same thing to them. I pulled the auger rakes and smeared antiseize on the shafts before reassembling. Fastforward a couple of years, just checked them and they are still free and able to be removed without a problem. It doesn't take any longer to do unless you have zerks, and seems to be a good longterm treatment for auger rakes getting rusted to the shaft.

All I can say is it worked for me.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-24-2014, 12:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 42
Good post. I have been using anti seize compound on auger shafts for many years as well as on axles, exhaust bolts and head bolts. Never had a problem with rust seizing. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #3 of 6 Old 12-24-2014, 12:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1633
Likes (Received): 571
i'll have to remember that paul

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #4 of 6 Old 12-24-2014, 01:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 39
Always used anti-seize over grease. I swear by it, instead of swear at it.

HS 928 TCD. It's Canadian eh! (Sure I'm done modifying it, for now, until next time.......)
post #5 of 6 Old 12-24-2014, 01:15 PM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
We use anti-seize on nearly everything that may rust, anything threaded or that had close tolerances got juiced. Commercial cooling towers are extremely prone to rust due to high humidity and heat. In the past the 6" id bearings would rust onto the shaft and had to be cut off, not ideal. We started to using anti-seize when we reassembled them and never had a problem again.
Good stuff!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-26-2014, 09:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Slick idea!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page