post #1 of 6 Old 12-31-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
2 questions

Hello!

I have a older Craftsman snowblower that looks very similar to this one (original by HCBPH):

but it is a different model - 536918100 - very similar in most respects.

1) If you look at the bottom of the bucket you'll see a guide wheel. It has 3 positions and on mine if I put the wheel/bolt/axle in the topmost hole the scraper bar sits on the driveway and the wheel doesn't. If I move the wheel to the middle position the scraper bar is 3/8" to 1/2" above the pavement. I've read on the forum about making HDPE skid shoes and I'm contemplating removing the existing wheels, drilling 2 new holes in the endcaps of the bucket (near where the wheels are now), creating some shoes, installing them where the wheels are now, and getting the scraper bar to the much talked about paint stick distance from the concrete driveway. Any suggestions about doing this (or not) would be appreciated.

2) Last year when I used the blower I could leave it in gear (with the motor running) and when the drive clutch lever was not engaged the unit would sit still. This fall as I was getting it ready I noticed that the blower would creep forward (or backward when in reverse) when the drive lever was not engaged. I could physically hold it still but it took some effort. I removed the cover (white part between chute and engine in picture above) and the idler drive pulley is completely away from the belt. I have a new drive belt but was holding off installation to keep back in case existing belt breaks. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-31-2014, 07:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1631
Likes (Received): 571
hello koreywill, welcome to SBF!! paul has a write up on how he used armor skids on one of his craftsman blowers. you'll need to do something similar even if you make your own hdpe skids

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 6 Old 12-31-2014, 09:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 197
Likes (Received): 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreywill View Post
This fall as I was getting it ready I noticed that the blower would creep forward (or backward when in reverse) when the drive lever was not engaged. I could physically hold it still but it took some effort. I removed the cover (white part between chute and engine in picture above) and the idler drive pulley is completely away from the belt. I have a new drive belt but was holding off installation to keep back in case existing belt breaks. Suggestions?
The (wheel) drive is from a friction disc (I'm guessing, could have gears) and needs adjustment. You will need to put it in a service position and remove the cover under the engine.
Here is a photo of my old craftsman. Is yours similar?
post #4 of 6 Old 12-31-2014, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Took the bottom pan off the other day just to look. It's got the 3 speed forward and 1 speed reverse gearbox. No friction wheel.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-31-2014, 09:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
but it is a different model - 536918100 - very similar in most respects.

1) If you look at the bottom of the bucket you'll see a guide wheel. It has 3 positions and on mine if I put the wheel/bolt/axle in the topmost hole the scraper bar sits on the driveway and the wheel doesn't. If I move the wheel to the middle position the scraper bar is 3/8" to 1/2" above the pavement. I've read on the forum about making HDPE skid shoes and I'm contemplating removing the existing wheels, drilling 2 new holes in the endcaps of the bucket (near where the wheels are now), creating some shoes, installing them where the wheels are now, and getting the scraper bar to the much talked about paint stick distance from the concrete driveway. Any suggestions about doing this (or not) would be appreciated.
My Craftsman in the photo above has pizza cutters vs shoes as well.You could make some skids like I did for my Toro to replace the pizza cutter wheels.

Here is a link showing more of my mod to the Toro skids.
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...%A2-skids.html

Last edited by dbert; 12-31-2014 at 09:27 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-31-2014, 09:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Took the bottom pan off the other day just to look. It's got the 3 speed forward and 1 speed reverse gearbox. No friction wheel.
I missed this becasue I was posting a part 2. Sorry I cant help on the creeping drive. You already said it was not the belt idler adjustment. Someone here will be able to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page