LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 01-06-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Runs for 15 min, then dies.

Hey ppl, new to the forum. I'm really glad communities like this exist, they've helped me fix all sorts of stuff.

I have an (early 80's?) Honda HS35 single-stage that runs a G150 engine. I bought it used off of Craigslist a few years ago, but it's given me **** ever since.

It will run just fine for about 15 minutes. Then, it will start to lose power, only throwing snow a foot or so. Then, it starts to surge repeatedly; closing the choke keeps it alive for just a little bit longer. Then it dies. A gurgling sound can be heard from the engine, and gas leaks out of the air intake on the carb.

I originally thought it was a vacuum problem, but loosening the gas cap didn't make a difference. Then I thought it was a carburetor problem; I cleaned the carb and that didn't work, so I replaced it with a brand new carb, and that didn't fix it either. The governor springs seem to be in good repair, and the governor moves back and forth as (I think) it should.

With the overabundance of gas when it dies, it appears to be flooding while it runs, which is weird. Perhaps the engine is out of timing, so that the governor pulls away when there's less gas and releases when there's more? I suppose it could be an issue with the carb, but I'm reluctant to think that since the carb is basically brand new.

Any thoughts or leads you guys have would be much appreciated. I'm very handy with a wrench but I'm coming to my wit's end with this piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-06-2015, 01:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Welcome to the forum, with this you will have to take it step by step and answer us a few question. First how long the gas in the tank has been?
Is there a gas line filter or there might be one inside the tank, as I would remove all gas in the tank and check the filter. This is what you should start with. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #3 of 31 Old 01-06-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for your response!

The gas has been in there since late summer, but I put Sta-Bil in it. And yes, there's an in-line filter; it was brand new when I installed it late Summer.

Another weird thing I need to add is that when it starts to get weak and surge, if I tip the snowblower back, it will die almost completely; if I put it back down it will continue to run.
post #4 of 31 Old 01-06-2015, 02:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobie dave View Post
Thanks for your response!

The gas has been in there since late summer, but I put Sta-Bil in it. And yes, there's an in-line filter; it was brand new when I installed it late Summer.

Another weird thing I need to add is that when it starts to get weak and surge, if I tip the snowblower back, it will die almost completely; if I put it back down it will continue to run.
With the ethanol blend some people have problems within a month even with Stabil but before you get further we have to make sure you have good gas delivery from the tank and I would first flush all gas from the tank and even the line and the carb. At that point there's a good chance you also have a filter screen inside the tank and verify if it's plugged a bit and verify your new inline filter by blowing through it. It doesn't take long to replug itself with bad gas.
On your last item depending on how much gas there is in the tank your small intake tube in the tank could have been installed a bit high hence when level it runs but when inclined no gas is reaching the inside tube. It has been seen before to act as such.

post #5 of 31 Old 01-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
you probably have ignition issues, if its the cdi or the excitor thats gone bad, then be prepared to spend 80 for the excitor and another 80 for the cdi module.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
oh some earlier hs35 revisions had points
post #7 of 31 Old 01-06-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I am fairly certain this model has ignition points. they're a pain in the ass to get to, as they're under the flywheel.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-06-2015, 02:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
you probably have ignition issues, if its the cdi or the excitor thats gone bad, then be prepared to spend 80 for the excitor and another 80 for the cdi module.

Wouldn't he just check for sparks after his 15 min. of play and no work?

post #9 of 31 Old 01-06-2015, 02:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
If you know the fuel is ok next thing is check for spark. I use an adjustable gap type set to 'SE' (small engine) Clip it to the sparkplug and run it while watching for spark. Should be a nice bright blue. I have had this one for many years and have solved many automotive, power equipment, and motorcycle ignition problems.

Ignition Spark Tester with Adjustable Gap at National Tool Warehouse
post #10 of 31 Old 01-06-2015, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Could I use an automotive timing light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page