post #1 of 8 Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Snowblower Maintenance Question

Good day, All.

My mother-in-law gave me an old snowblower (Craftsman 11.0 / 30) that had been sitting in the shed for around 8 years (after my father-in-law passed). It wouldn't start for me, but the electric starter was trying to crank the engine. I tried changing the plug, and putting in new gas. Now the electric starter won't work. So, I tried the pull start, but still no luck getting it started. I imagine the carb is dirty and needs cleaning. As I have never done this before, I was wondering if there is anything else I could try. Is it worth getting fixed? (not sure how much it would cost) Is anyone from the Manotick / Ottawa area that knows how much $$ I'd be looking at to get it repaired?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-07-2015, 10:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 581
hello hillbma, welcome to SBF!! a carb cleaning or rebuild should be on your to do list if you plan to keep the craftsman. donnyboy has several youtube vids that can be very helpful with your project

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 8 Old 01-07-2015, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
better check that crank case oil. it is more than likely tar/sludge in there now. ALOHA from the frozen TUNDRA.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 8 Old 01-07-2015, 10:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbma View Post

I imagine the carb is dirty and needs cleaning.

Is it worth getting fixed? (not sure how much it would cost)

Is anyone from the Manotick / Ottawa area that knows how much $$ I'd be looking at to get it repaired?
Hill, welcome aboard!

I "suspect" that if you're not up to the repair tasks, etc., the repair bill will start to grow and quickly exceed the value of the machine. If it's only a matter of cleaning/rebuilding the carb, that could be within a reasonable range. However, if you need a new electric start, that will change the scope of the repair bill.

Many of the guys on this forum attack these repairs in their garage day in, day out. Others don't have the time, training, tools or desire to fiddle
with these things on a sub-zero day. IME, it comes down to:

You have more time than money or you have more money than time It's that simple.

Don't get yourself into a deep repair bill on a tired machine. Apply your resources to something new or newer. Good luck!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-07-2015, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for all the feedback. I didn't think of checking the oil so I will do that. I googled Danny Boy and found three of his videos to take apart, clean and put together the carb. I could probably do that as I have the tools (though my kids do limit my available time). If I need any replacement parts (o-rings), I'll have to order them which will slow me down. Searching on kijiji I found an identical machine ready to go for $475.....so, as you say, getting this one repaired by someone else may just not be worth the cost. Cheers!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-07-2015, 01:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Welcome to the forum, keep in mind though that those old Craftmans are the better built ones for if you were to use it for yourself if not then more trouble than money. Good Luck and let us know your intentions.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Would be nice if you posted a picture or two of it's condition but it's likely worth a hundred or two to fix up. Reasonable condition 11 horse 30" blower should be worth a couple hundred easy.

When you say the starter was trying to "crank" the engine. Was the engine turning over, just not firing ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #8 of 8 Old 01-07-2015, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
Your machine probably has very good bones......but that's a long time to sit idle. Unless your willing to tear into it....clean or replace the carb ( I would clean it by soaking in cleaner) completely drain and clean the fuel tank (take it off of the machine, clean it as best as you can with water hose, then let it dry) drain the oil, fill it, after running for 15 minutes, drain and replace the oil again. Clean or replace to fuel line, it's probably dried out and brittle anyway, while you do this install a fuel filter in the new line.
Now it's onto the belts, they are more then likely dried out and brittle as well. You should replace them before doing any work with the machine.
It comes down to what you are willing to do, if you have the time and knowledge, tear into it....if time and knowledge are against you.....put your money toward a new machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page