Inherited Craftsman 5.0 HP - Starting Problem - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 01-12-2015, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Inherited Craftsman 5.0 HP - Starting Problem

Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I inherited a Craftsman 536.885213 5.0HP 21" single stage snowblower with electric start from my mother's home last spring.

I cranked it last week, and there was a strong "varnish smell". Uh oh.

So, I removed and cleaned the carburator (Tecumseh 640342), cleaned the spark plug, removed and cleaned the gas tank, replaced the fuel lines and in-line filter, and re-assembled.

Electric cranking this weekend - and no start.

The spark plug is "wet" after cranking.

The carb bowl has clean fuel in it after cranking.

I don't know where else to go - and am not experienced with engines at all, although I'm okay mechanically.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on what steps I should go to next. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Phil g.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-12-2015, 01:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Check for spark.

I use an adjustable-gap spark plug tester (check ebay, amazon or your local parts store). Set the gap to "SE" (small engine), connect the clip to the engine block, connect the other end to the spark plug lead. Pull the engine over a few times and look for a strong-blue spark.

One word of caution, I usually do this with the plug installed; its a little more compression but you're not creating a fuel cloud next to a spark tester

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #3 of 42 Old 01-12-2015, 01:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
Sounds like you need a complete carb cleaning and rebuild. ALOHA from the frozen tundra.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 42 Old 01-12-2015, 02:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
Let it dry out and off, and check your spark. It is also not uncommon for the coil packs to go bad. It's not hard to swap, but you are going to need the engine model numbers. If it's a tecumseh, which I suspect, they will be on the engine tin, near the spark plug.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #5 of 42 Old 01-12-2015, 02:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
Check for spark.

I use an adjustable-gap spark plug tester (check ebay, amazon or your local parts store). Set the gap to "SE" (small engine), connect the clip to the engine block, connect the other end to the spark plug lead. Pull the engine over a few times and look for a strong-blue spark.

One word of caution, I usually do this with the plug installed; its a little more compression but you're not creating a fuel cloud next to a spark tester
Here's the spark tester in use (no plug in this picture...I just finished rebuilding this engine...no fuel & I was spinning the flywheel by hand )

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #6 of 42 Old 01-12-2015, 02:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
Check for spark.

Good advice about the fuel cloud. I worked with a tech that checked for spark, well it had spark. He now has burn scars on his face and left arm. He was out of work for several months.
post #7 of 42 Old 01-12-2015, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Wow. Thanks, everyone, for your replies and well wishes. I'll get a spark tester on my way home tonight and will test soonest. I'll report back.

@powershift93: you may be right.

@classiccat: thanks for the caution.

@db9938: if no spark, I'll be following your advice next...
post #8 of 42 Old 01-12-2015, 06:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
Uh oh, well I'll apologize in advance. I may be off line tonight, it's a state holiday.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #9 of 42 Old 01-12-2015, 06:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by db9938 View Post
Uh oh, well I'll apologize in advance. I may be off line tonight, it's a state holiday.
we got you covered... what state holiday is it?
post #10 of 42 Old 01-12-2015, 06:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Received): 19
i think db thinks it's next monday. MLK day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page