Help troubleshooting auger control - Simplicity 1060 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-14-2015, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Help troubleshooting auger control - Simplicity 1060

I bought a Simplicity 1060 (model 1694440; I believe it is a 2008) this fall from a friend's Dad, and I'm having some trouble with the auger control.

The first time I used it, the upper rod that connects the auger control handle to the adjustment turnbuckle broke. I replaced the rod, and afterward noticed that it takes a lot of pressure to hold the auger control handle down. I have a pretty strong grip (been married 10 years), but this is pretty bad. Since the machine is new to me, I am not sure if it was like this before the rod broke or not (although I suspect it may be the reason...).

I also have a 1990 Simplicity 824, and even comparing the two machines, I can't figure out what is wrong. Anyone have any suggestions?

1990 Simplicity 824
2008 Simplicity 1060
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-14-2015, 01:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1177
it would appear to me that you over tighten some thing there. but I would help me and everybody else here if we had pics or a video of this problem that is presenting itself to you and us. ALOHA from the some what un frozen TUNDRA.:ee k:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 16 Old 01-14-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks very much for the reply. I will post a few photos, but I may not get to it until this weekend. Thanks again!

1990 Simplicity 824
2008 Simplicity 1060
post #4 of 16 Old 01-15-2015, 02:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
[QUOTE=DavidR;424314]The first time I used it, the upper rod that connects the auger control handle to the adjustment turnbuckle broke. I replaced the rod, and afterward noticed that it takes a lot of pressure to hold the auger control handle down.[QUOTE]

You may want to remove your belt cover and see if the auger tensioner is bent or anything related to the auger belt, you have 2 belts one for auger and the other for drive. Try your auger handle with the cover off and try to see by following from your auger handle all the way to the auger pulley with the belt, Here's a link for a breakdown of your blower. Good Luck

Simplicity 1694440 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-16-2015, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I think I'm all set.

I found some time last night to work on it, and found one of the tabs on the shift control bracket (#13 on the Handles and Control Group drawing) to be bent and twisted. That caused the clutch rod (#7) that works off the pivot rod (#60) to get bent as well. I bent the parts back in shape and hope to reassemble everything tonight.

The shift control bracket is not a thin or flimsy piece of metal by any means, so I can't imagine how that got bent like it did. I had a heck of a time bending it back. Hopefully, once I have everything put back together, I don't find something else wrong...

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

1990 Simplicity 824
2008 Simplicity 1060
post #6 of 16 Old 01-16-2015, 12:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
[QUOTE=DavidR;428362]
The shift control bracket is not a thin or flimsy piece of metal by any means, so I can't imagine how that got bent like it did. I had a heck of a time bending it back. Hopefully, once I have everything put back together, I don't find something else wrong...
QUOTE]

Maybe when one wants to have access to the bottom panel and raised the blower on its nose, may have lost grip doing so and it fell to the ground like almost upside down and the bracket got hit. Just a theory.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-16-2015, 04:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1177
MAZEL TOV on that 1.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 16 Old 01-20-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm posting an update on this because another member posted about a similar problem, and this may help him.

So, continuing where I left off above, after I straightened the bent parts I reassembled everything, tried to depress the auger handle, and found that the handle was still very difficult to depress. I could see that if I forced it, the same parts would bend again.

I spent an hour looking at everything and couldn't find anything wrong. The design of the linkage didn't seem right to me, however, so I modified it slightly, and now I can depress and hold the auger handle with one finger.

If you look at the Handles and Control Group drawing linked above, there is a lever, part #72, that looks like this (sorry for the crude drawing):

Help troubleshooting auger control - Simplicity 1060-%5Buntitled%5D001.jpg

The lever rotates around a rod that goes through the large hole. When you depress the auger handle, the linkage connecting the auger handle to this lever causes the lever to rotate up, which pulls another linkage up and ultimately engages the auger.

The problem, I think, is that the auger handle linkage is attached to the lever too close to the pivot point. The lever wants to pull the rod up rather than pivot around it. My solution was to just drill a hole (shown in red) in the lever and attach the linkage where it can use the lever to its full advantage. I did not need to shorten or otherwise modify the linkage itself.

Honestly, I'm not sure why this lever is even there, unless it is for some option that my blower doesn't have. Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm explaining this well, but feel free to ask questions and I will try to clarify.

1990 Simplicity 824
2008 Simplicity 1060
post #9 of 16 Old 01-20-2015, 01:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
DavidR - thanks for the update. The design of your blower is very similar to mine (my dads) 1390 (m or e, I'm not sure right now). So I am clear, you moved the linkage from the 6 oclock position in your drawing to the red spot on your drawing--correct? I am only reluctant to make such a modification because I am thinking there is a reason the friction has increased to such a degree. On the other hand, your solution seems simple and logical...I will let you know what I find.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-20-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake.plissken View Post
DavidR - So I am clear, you moved the linkage from the 6 oclock position in your drawing to the red spot on your drawing--correct?
Yes, that's correct.

I would definitely check everything over and make sure there isn't some other problem first. In my case, I couldn't find anything wrong (which doesn't necessarily mean there isn't something wrong), and this one modification has made all the difference.

1990 Simplicity 824
2008 Simplicity 1060
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page