Runs great except when the governor is controlling, then surges hunts dies - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-22-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Runs great except when the governor is controlling, then surges hunts dies

Need help. Trying to get my Tecumseh engine running properly. First of all, I bought an aftermarket new carb.

If I control the throttle with my fingers, it runs great. If, the governor is controlling, it starts to hunt, then usually goes to fulll throttle and dies.

Idles great.

Not sure what to do, I took the new carb apart to clean it and blow it out with air just in case.

Could the aftermarket carb be too big? At 3500 rpm, the butterfly is barely open. If I have it at 3500 rpm and change the idle mixture screw, it will affect the engine speed.

Is the carb in some kind of no-man's land... half way in-between idle and full throttle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-22-2015, 06:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcman View Post
Need help. Trying to get my Tecumseh engine running properly. First of all, I bought an aftermarket new carb.

If I control the throttle with my fingers, it runs great. If, the governor is controlling, it starts to hunt, then usually goes to fulll throttle and dies.

Idles great.

Not sure what to do, I took the new carb apart to clean it and blow it out with air just in case.

Could the aftermarket carb be too big? At 3500 rpm, the butterfly is barely open. If I have it at 3500 rpm and change the idle mixture screw, it will affect the engine speed.

Is the carb in some kind of no-man's land... half way in-between idle and full throttle?
You should post more info like the model of your Tecumseh engine and the more the better.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-22-2015, 07:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
You sure you have all the little wires that control it in the proper holes ? maybe one is misplaced ? Just thinking I saw Doneyboy73 on youtube and he had a video on this, you may want to watch that he's pretty good at explaining. Just google "Doneyboy73 adjust governor"

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #4 of 15 Old 01-22-2015, 09:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
Sounds like your governor is not properly set. The governor should not be "controlling" unless your engine is under load. When under load, your engine slows, causing your governor arm to exert force on the throttle to accelerate it to its wide open throttle rpm.
At wide open throttle, with no load, your engine should be at 3600 rpm. The screw to up your rpm is on the throttle, not the carburetor body. Make sure your no load rpm does not exceed 3600 or your engine will over speed and likely grenade. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #5 of 15 Old 01-22-2015, 10:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
The governor spool should be fully extended causing the butterfly to be almost completely closed at no load. This is normal. When you hit a load, the cam slows and the throttle opens (gov spring keeps the inner gov arm against the spool) to compensate.

And its because of this nearly closed throttle position at no-load high-speed that the idle jet setting is in play.

When its surging, is the air intake spitting fuel?

If so, I would start by leaning out the main jet a bit (turning in) and making the idle jet a tiny bit richer (slightly more open).
post #6 of 15 Old 01-22-2015, 10:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Oh...and +1 what motorhead said....replying on my phone and missed the other replies :-)
post #7 of 15 Old 01-22-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here is what I did originally to set the governor. Maybe somebody will see where I went wrong.

With the engine off:
1. Loosen clamp screw
2. Rotate clamp clockwise as far as it will go and hold it.
3. Rotate governor arm clockwise as far as it will go (butterfly WOT) and hold it.
4. Tighten down the clamp screw.

With the engine running:
1. Check rpm, it is reading 3000.
2. Shut off engine. Move spring up one hole. Start engine, rpm increases to about 3300.
3. Tighten throttle screw to fine tune rpm up to 3500.

As for the hunting/surging. Yes, there is fuel spitting out sometimes. When the engine is dying, the rpms slow down, butterly goes full open which kills it further. I can move the butterfly with my fingers back to about 1/4 open which stabilizes the engine at the proper rpm, then if I let go, the governor starts going back and forth until the engine starts to die and the butterfly will go full open which makes it worse and kills it.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-22-2015, 11:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Wondering if you can take a pic of it...?
post #9 of 15 Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I think we are almost there oldc!

Sounds like she's running too rich. I bet if we leaned out that main jet (bowl), you'll have this bad boy dialed in. I bet it barfs and blows a cloud of smoke when you move the throttle control from idle to fast.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-22-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
I think we are almost there oldc!

Sounds like she's running too rich. I bet if we leaned out that main jet (bowl), you'll have this bad boy dialed in. I bet it barfs and blows a cloud of smoke when you move the throttle control from idle to fast.
Can't lean it out any more, even all the way lean it still does this. Maybe this is a problem with the aftermarket carb?

I looked at a video on youtube that said to adjust the governor speed by adjusting the angle of the governor arm and clamp but this seems to conflict with other things I am reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page