post #1 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Crafstman 536.881800 change spark plug

Hello,

I am sitting here looking at about three storms lined up to come my way this week. For the first one, they are saying 1-3 feet, so I am trying to get ready. My snow blower is in pretty good shape with the gearbox rebuilt, oil changed, silicon spray, full gas tank and can, etc.

I have a couple of questions about some last minute items.

I would like to change the spark plug, but I have never done that on this machine and I'm not sure where it it or how to access it. This is not like my last snow blower where the spark plug was visible. I don't want to start taking things apart and end up not being able to get it back together. Can someone let me know if there is a link to some instructions for doing this?

It wouldn't hurt to check the air filter and gas filter, but the same as above applies, I don't know where they are.

Lastly, the tensioner rod that helps to keep the augur belt from coming off the pulley came loose. I have had this loose a few times to change the belts, but I am never all that sure how close to the belt it should be after I tighten it. Basically, I set it so that there is about 1/4" to 3/8" clearance between the tensioner and the belt when the augur drive is engaged. I make sure that the tensioner bar is not in contact with the belt when the impeller shaft is turning. Is there some rule of thumb for this?

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

Last edited by LMHmedchem; 01-25-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 04:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
post a pic of the engine I will find it 4 u.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 04:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
there is no air filter. and there is a 50/50 chance it has a fuel filter. post a pic of that other issue also.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 05:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMHmedchem View Post
I would like to change the spark plug, but I have never done that on this machine and I'm not sure where it it or how to access it. This is not like my last snow blower where the spark plug was visible. I don't want to start taking things apart and end up not being able to get it back together. Can someone let me know if there is a link to some instructions for doing this?

It wouldn't hurt to check the air filter and gas filter, but the same as above applies, I don't know where they are.

Lastly, the tensioner rod that helps to keep the augur belt from coming off the pulley came loose. I have had this loose a few times to change the belts, but I am never all that sure how close to the belt it should be after I tighten it. Basically, I set it so that there is about 1/4" to 3/8" clearance between the tensioner and the belt when the augur drive is engaged. I make sure that the tensioner bar is not in contact with the belt when the impeller shaft is turning. Is there some rule of thumb for this?
As PowerShift mentioned, there is no air filter on snow blowers since in winter there is no dust to filter.
The gas filter is normally just below the gas tank where there might be also a fuel shut-off. As for the tensioner rod I wasn't aware they were adjustable but at around 1/4" sounds about right.
Lastly for the spark plug and anything else you should have everything in your user manual, if you don't have one try this link to get one. Good Luck

Craftsman 536.881800 Snow Blower Owners Owners Manual - English

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 05:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Received): 52
You have to remove the cover over the carb area. You pull up on the choke lever, to remove. I use a door panel clip fork and or a screw driver. And remove, if I recall 3 or 4 screws. The plug is under the cover. Get an NGK plug. They usually have them at O'Reilly's.

Also, it sounds about right with how your setting the tensioner rod. You may want to clean the treads with some Brake Clean and use some loctite blue on it.

I bought a parts machine of the same model this last summer. Its made by Murray.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720

Last edited by Motor City; 01-25-2015 at 05:56 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
there is no air filter. and there is a 50/50 chance it has a fuel filter. post a pic of that other issue also.
I have attached two pictures of the engine. Let me know if you want something different.

LMHmedchem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine_1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	37426   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine_2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	37434  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 05:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
you are going to have to take off the plastic cover there are 5 or 6 bolts that hold it on. then you will see it. if not let me know. there is no fuel filter on that engine.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 05:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City View Post
You have to remove the cover over the carb area. You pull up on the choke lever, to remove. I use a door panel clip fork and or a screw driver. And remove, if I recall 3 or 4 screws. The plug is under the cover. Get an NGK plug. They usually have them at O'Reilly's.
Man what an hassle if one inadvertently flooded the engine. Perhaps it must be similar with all new engines but I wonder what is the advantage to bury the plug. Just saying

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-25-2015, 06:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2902
Likes (Received): 537
Hello LMH, page 22 of the owners manual shows how to remove the snow guard for access to the spark plug. Page 27 shows the correct spacing (1/8") of the belt guide.
Here is a link to the Briggs service manual for your motor. It covers different models and both horizontal and vertical shaft motors so be sure to follow the 120000 series horizontal instructions. I hope this helps.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ylinderOHV.pdf

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-26-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well I was able to successfully change the spark plug.

I had to go and get a new socket for the plug size and wait in line for quite a bit at the small engine repair shop, but it wasn't too bad. It was harder to get the cover off than it should have been, but the plug was very dirty, so it's good I changed it.

Thanks again,

LMHmedchem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page