Craftsman 22" impeller spinning when off... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman 22" impeller spinning when off...

I have used my Craftsman 22" dual stage twice...At the end of its second use, I noticed that the impeller was making a "whirring" noise where as before it ran virtually silent. When the machine is off I can spin the impeller in either direction free hand. Is this normal? Might I need new spring bolts? The auger spins properly when throttled and not at all when machine is off. I cant visually detect any issue, but my experience with these machines is very limited. I cannot even know if the machine is operational because I didnt notice until shortly before I had finished clearing snow, but we're to get hit big tomorrow so Id like to be somewhat prepared. I thank you much in advance for your assistance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 09:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfavs19 View Post
I have used my Craftsman 22" dual stage twice...At the end of its second use, I noticed that the impeller was making a "whirring" noise where as before it ran virtually silent. When the machine is off I can spin the impeller in either direction free hand. Is this normal? Might I need new spring bolts? The auger spins properly when throttled and not at all when machine is off. I cant visually detect any issue, but my experience with these machines is very limited. I cannot even know if the machine is operational because I didnt notice until shortly before I had finished clearing snow, but we're to get hit big tomorrow so Id like to be somewhat prepared. I thank you much in advance for your assistance...
Sounds like your impeller shear pin is broken.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks much. Am I correct in thinking something is wrong if the impeller is spinning when machine is off?
post #4 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 09:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfavs19 View Post
Thanks much. Am I correct in thinking something is wrong if the impeller is spinning when machine is off?
Absolutely...if you can spin the impeller Independently the shear pin is broken for it.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 09:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
It is probably fine. Most impellers can be turned by hand. Is the whole shaft turning or just the impeller blade?

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
If the impeller is spinning and the auger isn't moving then the impeller isn't connected to it's shaft. Like Roy said, either a shear pin or a key or something that locks the impeller to the shaft is broken, loose or missing.
Since we are talking about your specific machine this would be good to post under Craftsman and also to give the specific model and serial number of the machine.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 11:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
If the impeller is spinning and the auger isn't moving then the impeller isn't connected to it's shaft. Like Roy said, either a shear pin or a key or something that locks the impeller to the shaft is broken, loose or missing.
Since we are talking about your specific machine this would be good to post under Craftsman and also to give the specific model and serial number of the machine.

Hudson anywhere near Friendship WI. Had a good friend that lived in Friendship. God rest his soul
post #8 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 11:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 5
I was at Home Depot today and noticed they sell shear pins. You might check theirs out.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-25-2015, 11:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
It is probably fine. Most impellers can be turned by hand. Is the whole shaft turning or just the impeller blade?
+1 and Kiss4frog, it is important for you to answer Shryp's question before you dive in too deep. When you turn impeller by hand, observe closely if the shaft is turning with it and also if the auger turns as well. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
First off without a model number you'll get general answers.

As a new poster, want to insure we're talking the same thing.

In that picture the corkscrewed shaped items are the rakes. Those are held to the shaft by shearpins or bolts. If the pins/bolts are broken or missing, they'll turn in either direction by hand.
The fan like device in the back of the housing is the impeller. They're typically held on the shaft by rollpins. Here's a picture of both shafts and gearcase out of the housing and disassembled. The impeller bolts onto the hub on the left shaft:

Id suggest pulling the sparkplug wire and insure which you're referring to by trying to move the various pieces. The auger rake shearbolts can be replaced without disassembly but you may need a punch and hammer to remove a broken piece out of the shaft. The roll pins on the impeller can be done without disassembly but it's much harder to align that way. I've not seen an impeller shaft rollpins shear off (though it's possible), rather most are the shearpins or bolts on the auger rakes that shear off (which they are supposed to do rather than damaging the augercase if you hit something).

Narrow it down to what's wrong, include the model number and I'm sure someone can help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page