post #1 of 9 Old 01-25-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Recommendation on aftermarket carb

Hey Fellas,
Planning on replacing the original carb on my Simplicity 970with 8 horse Tecumseh. I am tired of all the surging and tuning issues
Any advice on what to replace it with? I've heard there are some decent aftermarket carbs any recommendations. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-25-2015, 11:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplicityFan View Post
Hey Fellas,
Planning on replacing the original carb on my Simplicity 970with 8 horse Tecumseh. I am tired of all the surging and tuning issues
Any advice on what to replace it with? I've heard there are some decent aftermarket carbs any recommendations. Thanks
Before doing that......I would give it a good cleaning......save yourself a few $$$

Go to NAPA, get the gallon can of carburetor cleaner ($24.00), soak the carb in the cleaner as per instruction on the can. I did this on my carb, and it works great......amazing stuff.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-26-2015, 02:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplicityFan View Post
Hey Fellas,
I'm thinking you either got some debris in the tank or your fuel line could be going bad and sending particles down into the carb or your fuel is contaminated because of ethanol separation. In which case you would put a new carb on and have the same problems all over again. Be sure to ensure that the fuel system is giving it fresh clean fuel and get ethanol free if you can and after a good carb cleaning your problems will be gone. That said with the cleaning you probably will have to replace the bowl gasket at a minimumbut that's only a couple dollars max. Inspect the float for leaks, and inspect the bowl for corrosion if there is any corrosion at all around the top edge where the gasket seats replace the bowl because it doesn't cost much at all

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #4 of 9 Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
I also recommend a good cleaning first. A full carb kit was something like $10 IIRC the last one I bought. I don't have the number right now bit all 7-10 hp pretty much took the same kit from what I've gotten.

I like to use brake cleaner to clean up the carbs, it gets stuff off well though keep it off plastic and painted parts.

If it comes down to getting another carb, I've had good luck with Oregons, just insure it's for the right size engine and has the correct throttle and choke arms and linkage as your existing one had. I've bought a few off Ebay with good luck.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-26-2015, 11:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 1654
Likes (Received): 385
+1 on the clean/rebuild.

I've been using the same 1gal can of gunk carb/parts cleaner for years.

Wear hand/eye protection.

Once I'm done soaking , I wipe off as much of the carb cleaner as possible, then soak the carb in hot water. When finished, blow the carb off with compressed air making sure to hit the tiny passages.

Other guys have been using big jewelry cleaners with success as well.

don't forget to install a fuel filter if you haven't done so already...keep that like-new carb spick-n-span!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #6 of 9 Old 01-26-2015, 11:56 AM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
When I was a kid we had a Lawn Boy lawnmower that was a bit anemic. We were racing go karts at the time so we took a Tillison carb off of one of our engines and put it on the Lawn Boy. it was anemic no more.
If you want to increase hp do a bit of research for one that is compatible and get a bigger carb. It works.
It the power you have is adequate rebuild the one you have.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-28-2015, 12:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfn View Post
When I was a kid we had a Lawn Boy lawnmower that was a bit anemic. We were racing go karts at the time so we took a Tillison carb off of one of our engines and put it on the Lawn Boy. it was anemic no more.
If you want to increase hp do a bit of research for one that is compatible and get a bigger carb. It works.
It the power you have is adequate rebuild the one you have.
This would achieve more HP by increasing max rpm. This is a bad idea on a constant speed snow blower motor.

But I will say I did this on my Nissan outboard boat motor to take it from 4hp to 6hp - worked great!
post #8 of 9 Old 01-28-2015, 08:41 AM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcman View Post
This would achieve more HP by increasing max rpm. This is a bad idea on a constant speed snow blower motor.

But I will say I did this on my Nissan outboard boat motor to take it from 4hp to 6hp - worked great!
Probably true. As we said in the day... "You have to spin to win".
post #9 of 9 Old 01-28-2015, 09:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
Here ya go.... Plug and play.

tecumseh carburetor | eBay

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page