Old snowblower runs great, then after 1/2 an hour gasps and stalls. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-26-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Old snowblower runs great, then after 1/2 an hour gasps and stalls.

It's a Roper 8-26 with a Tecumseh engine. Early 80's. Bought it from a family friend who hadn't run it in a few years, but he did take care of it really well.

First time I put gas in it it leaked out. Needed a carburator rebuild. I took the carb off, and gave it to my stepfather who rebuilt it (he works for a small engine shop). Then I put the carb back on.

It has a fresh oil change, and a new spark plug.

It starts up and runs like a champion. After about 20 minutes or so almost suddenly it starts gasping and stalls, or comes close to stalling. It almost seems to do it more while it's not under load? if I let it sit for a minute and start it it'll run fine for about 5 minutes then do it again. I've adjusted the carb the best I could but had no luck fixing it.

Brought it out to my stepdads. He adjusted the carb settings and gave it back and said it should be all set. Said it was running too rich.

Just fired it up and ran it and it's doing the exact same thing. It's driving me nuts. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
gas cap vent not working? try removing the cap when it happens....
post #3 of 16 Old 01-26-2015, 07:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Sounds like a gas cap that went bad. Unscrew the cap enough so it can vent, if that fixes it replace the cap. They go bad, it's a known issue.

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #4 of 16 Old 01-26-2015, 08:12 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
check the ignition, on the tecumseh caps, the little metal dish on them fall off and they dont vent properly
post #5 of 16 Old 01-26-2015, 09:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdam00 View Post
It's a Roper 8-26 with a Tecumseh engine. Early 80's. Bought it from a family friend who hadn't run it in a few years, but he did take care of it really well.

First time I put gas in it it leaked out. Needed a carburator rebuild. I took the carb off, and gave it to my stepfather who rebuilt it (he works for a small engine shop). Then I put the carb back on.

It has a fresh oil change, and a new spark plug.

It starts up and runs like a champion. After about 20 minutes or so almost suddenly it starts gasping and stalls, or comes close to stalling. It almost seems to do it more while it's not under load? if I let it sit for a minute and start it it'll run fine for about 5 minutes then do it again. I've adjusted the carb the best I could but had no luck fixing it.

Brought it out to my stepdads. He adjusted the carb settings and gave it back and said it should be all set. Said it was running too rich.

Just fired it up and ran it and it's doing the exact same thing. It's driving me nuts. Anyone have any ideas?
When your stepfather had it, did he say that he ran it for longer than 5 minutes? Does adjusting the choke make a difference in performance ie: better with choke or better without choke.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-26-2015, 09:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAriensRuleNewEngland View Post
gas cap vent not working? try removing the cap when it happens....

My exact words
post #7 of 16 Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 566
Definitely a gas tank vent issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
post #8 of 16 Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyP View Post
My exact words
Yep, I was multitasking and we were probably typing the reply at the same exact time with almost the same exact words. Great minds think alike. I've been throught this bad gas cap thing the replacement cap is an updated design without the little metal upside down cone. Cheers !

The meltdown is under way ...

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #9 of 16 Old 01-27-2015, 12:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 107
Did loosening the gas cap fix it? Once in awhile it can be due to an exhaust valve sticking when the engine is warm. Another area that may be acting up as the ignition coil may be failing.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-27-2015, 07:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Received): 67
if the engine has a lot of hours on it, it is quite possible that the exhaust valve has become recessed in the valve seat and the valve gap/lash may have closed up some. When the engine gets hot the valve will grow in length leaving the exhaust valve up off the valve seat causing a loss of compression/power. There only two ways i know of the check this. First you can do a leakdown test on the engine. Second pull the carb then the breather which sits behind the carb and that will give you access to the valve stems. At that point you need to check the lash on the valves.

using a leakdown will only tell you if the valve is not seating properly but removing the breather will give you a good visual on the lash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page