Ariens 921031 w Briggs & Stratton engine stopped and wont start. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-27-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 921031 w Briggs & Stratton engine stopped and wont start.

It ran fine last week when we had about 4 inches and it started first pull today and then it ran for about 2 minutes but while throwing some snow it just seized up. Pull start wont budge. I took off electric start and that's not it. I took spark plug out and it looks fine but I can't turn the engine at all. Has oil, has gas. Any thoughts? I have 3' feet to clear...

I read that maybe it froze so I moved it inside to see if that's the issue. Doesn't look like it, in the video it just wont go past that certain point almost as if it's seized but I'm not sure how that could happen.

Last edited by detz; 01-27-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-27-2015, 03:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
That sucks! Belts are loose when you while you rocked it? Something is majorly busted in there.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-27-2015, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
That sucks! Belts are loose when you while you rocked it? Something is majorly busted in there.
Belts seem fine. Could it have been frozen and running it caused something to seize up?
post #4 of 14 Old 01-27-2015, 03:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by detz View Post
Belts seem fine. Could it have been frozen and running it caused something to seize up?
Belts loose as in not engaged to see if it's the engine or the blower locked up.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-27-2015, 03:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
looks new! are you still under warranty?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #6 of 14 Old 01-27-2015, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It's about three years old. Doubt it. :-( I no next to nothing about engines so I don't even know where to start. What's the blower?

Here's another when the electric start back on: It spun a little more but then quickly stopped again.

Last edited by detz; 01-27-2015 at 04:41 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-27-2015, 04:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
Did you check the oil level.:con fused:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 14 Old 01-27-2015, 04:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
I asked about the warranty...so that when we start throwing suggestions at you, you don't void it.

this is a situation where you want to stop trying to use the electric starter.

Try removing the shroud that goes over the flywheel...something (loose bolt, etc.) may have gotten in there and jammed the flywheel against the shroud (or ignition coil)...unlikely but worth a shot. Take a lot of pictures in case you have to remove linkages, etc. in order to get the shroud off.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #9 of 14 Old 01-27-2015, 05:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
First thing to do would be remove the belts. That way you can know for sure if the issue is the engine or something in the drive system. In general the auger belts get disconnected when the auger handle is not down, but the wheel drive belt is always connected to the friction disc transmission section. The drive clutching happens further down the system.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-27-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Soo....after I paid a guy $75 to plow my driveway I come in, push the button and it moves. Put it back together and just used it for 15 minutes no issues. :censored::censored:

Well,I guess I should be happy it's fixed but I just wasted money and time from what I can gather was just some frozen parts? How can I snow blower freeze?! I parked the beast in my house for the night so it works tomorrow, is there a trick or something to parking the thing after using it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page