LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-27-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 932104 Speed Selector issue

The Speed Selector or Speed Fork has disengaged from the Shift Carrier and I cannot seem to get it back together. I have the service manual and have searched the web which gives me some videos on replacing the friction disk but nothing on the Fork. Is there a simple way to get it back together or do I have to take it all apart. Thanks for any help. Not sure if the link goes thru on the post but here is a pick of the fork # 6 and the shift carrier # 12.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=...Blower&dn=4223
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-27-2015, 04:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
q123we, I had the same exact issue this past weekend. After taking the bottom panel off, I disconnected the shift lever from the fork allowing me to freely move it by hand. It is a pain to put back together without taking everything apart, but I was able to carefully make it happen using a little bit of force. Make sure you do not bend the fork though. If you do, it will create too much "play" as you shift gears and the fork will pop off again.

I tried a couple different approaches, but the following finally worked.

Slide the carrier and turn the fork so that they are all the way to the right (away from the gears and chains). Carefully rotate the carrier with the washers on so that they are horizontal, one should be in front of you and the other should be in the back behind everything. Now position the fork so that the washer in the back will fall onto the inside portion and the "stud" of the carrier is close to the opening. Make sure as you do this, that the washer closest to you catches the inside of the top portion of the fork. If done properly, you should be able to let go of everything and nothing will move. Now carefully use some force to turn the carrier so that the back "stud" and washer fall into the opening and the "stud" closest to you is now "stuck" on the outside of the fork. I used an open ended wrench at this point to carefully pry the fork upward over the "stud" and the carrier popped back into place.

I wish I had videoed or at least taken some pictures, they certainly would have helped the above description. Do not use too much force, just enough to get the job done. If you bend the fork, then you will definitely need to take it all apart.

My post:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...s-reverse.html

There are a few videos and other linked posts in there that helped me out.

Last edited by Shantz02; 01-27-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Add comment
post #3 of 6 Old 01-27-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Let me give that a shot. I was thinking of bending the fork a bit and then rebending it back. If not for the washers I could get it back to gether in a heartbeat.
Not that I want to jinx your machine but I would certainly not purchase another Ariens. It has been a headache from day one.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-27-2015, 06:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Picked mine up used a few weeks back. Aside from that small hiccup, I like it a lot. My hex shaft was loaded up with a good amount of thick grease, which I like to believe led to my issue in the first place. I cleaned that up while it was open and it shifts super smooth now. Hopefully it stays that way.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2015, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Shantz02.........worked like a charm less than 5 minutes after spending a couple hours yesterday beating my head agaisnt it. Thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 01-28-2015, 08:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Glad to hear it. Don't worry, I "lost" a few hours myself until figuring it out. I consider them "knowledge gaining time" with my snow blower. I suspect there will be many more of those encounters as the years go by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page