post #1 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Tecumseh blew a rod - options

Hello,

New member to the forum, looking for some guidance from the experts.

I have a MTD Yard Machine Snowblower with a 10.5 Tecumseh (2 shaft) engine. Well, that's blown a rod and now I have a hole in the side of the cylinder casing .

My question is this: is it worth trying to repair this thing by picking up a new cylinder casing and connecting rod online, or should I just chuck this thing and get an entirely new snowblower? I have the technical ability to do it, but I don't want to be foolish with time and money either. From a quick check online, we're looking at at least $250-300 in parts.

If a new snowblower is in order, with a budget of around $1k, what would be the recommendations?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 11:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 13
If you are happy with the blower and have some ability, best solution would be to repower with the Harbor freight engine. Very cost effective and from what people say, it will perform better for you than the old engine.

If you have that new blower itch, for $1K the Ariens Deluxe 28 is a heck of a machine.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 11:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
Im in the same boat.

You have 3 basic options

Rebuild
replace used
replaced new

Out of those, Least expensive would be a used unit, put it in and be done, basically no advantage for what you had before it blew.

Replacement new could be anywhere from a Harbor Freight special, (not my cup of tea but still has to be looked at as a possibility) all the way up to a new Honda or Briggs, prices low 100.00 for the HF special up to 4-500 for the Name Brand unit....

96 Mustang - Race car
2005 Mustang - Daily Driver
15 Grand Cherokee Altitude - Mall Crawler
2007 Anderson Open Deck 19ft Trailer
1998 828D John Deere
1996 828D John Deere
2015 D110 John deere
ST724 Ariens not sure of year
1978 Ariens 924000
1964 10ML60D
post #4 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB33 View Post
If you are happy with the blower and have some ability, best solution would be to repower with the Harbor freight engine. Very cost effective and from what people say, it will perform better for you than the old engine.

If you have that new blower itch, for $1K the Ariens Deluxe 28 is a heck of a machine.
Thanks JSB, my understanding from the little I've read is that the HF engine was a single shaft engine, and would be quite complicated to make it work as a replacement for the two shaft Tecumseh.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 12:39 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 303
Red, I love rebuilding snowblowers. It does take time though, time versus money.
My out is to buy a brand new Sno-Tek. Lot of folks may claim it isn't Ariens pure, but it is $400 less than a like Craftsman. Have to check all your options and even if these are available in your area. A running Craftsman is hands down superior to any Toro, Honda, Ariens that isn't running...........you get my point

Last edited by jtclays; 02-04-2015 at 09:34 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 01:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff Daddy View Post
Im in the same boat.

You have 3 basic options

Rebuild
replace used
replaced new

Out of those, Least expensive would be a used unit, put it in and be done, basically no advantage for what you had before it blew.

Replacement new could be anywhere from a Harbor Freight special, (not my cup of tea but still has to be looked at as a possibility) all the way up to a new Honda or Briggs, prices low 100.00 for the HF special up to 4-500 for the Name Brand unit....
I have a Tecumseh 8 hp engine available, it has new fuel line,new shutoff, new fuel filter electric start and it runs well. Starts on first or second pull always and has been running ethanol free so the carb is in good shape. It is a 1 inch shaft engine. If you are interested I will give you a deal at 90 bucks cash. It's ready to go.

I also have an 8 hp Tecumseh that has a small hole in the bottom front of the block drips oil where pulley bolt was running into the block (someone had put in backwards) and wore itself in caused a leak but other than that the engine is okay and that can be had for "parts" ( or possibly JB Weld the small hole and get the engine running) for 45 bucks. The carb on that one probably needs cleaning and it has electric start. This one has a three-quarter inch shaft. I'd say the electric starter alone is probably worth 35 bucks but I'd rather just let the whole thing go.

Just putting this up in case you are interested, as I read your post and realize I have these two engines sitting there doing nothing. Your profile says Boston so I'm not too far from you, I'm not sure if that means south west or north but I could meet partway on Saturday if you happen to be interested.

EDIT : I must have been reading too fast, completely missed the "2 shaft" thing. My engines won't work for you, sorry.

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek

Last edited by Pathfinder13; 02-04-2015 at 08:19 PM. Reason: correction
post #7 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Another option you have for 2 shaft engines is get another similar engine from the same family and swap the front sump cover and camshaft off your engine. This can convert a single shaft Tecumseh to a dual shaft like you need. For a 10.5 HP I would think any of the 8 - 11 HP engines would work. On the other hand, $300 can get you a running used machine and you can try selling some of what you have there to cover some of that cost. If you can wait until spring you can find stuff dirt cheap.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 06:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN View Post
Hello,

New member to the forum, looking for some guidance from the experts.

I have a MTD Yard Machine Snowblower with a 10.5 Tecumseh (2 shaft) engine. Well, that's blown a rod and now I have a hole in the side of the cylinder casing .

My question is this: is it worth trying to repair this thing by picking up a new cylinder casing and connecting rod online,

YES

or should I just chuck this thing and get an entirely new snowblower?

HEL L NO

I have the technical ability to do it, but I don't want to be foolish with time and money either. From a quick check online, we're looking at at least $250-300 in parts.

If a new snowblower is in order, with a budget of around $1k, what would be the recommendations?

Thanks!
BUY THIS, BOLT IT IN, PUT YOUR OLD HEAD, ETC. ON IT, AND HAMMER DOWN !!

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #9 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 10:11 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 303
It may seem great to stick another potential rod throwing block on a marginal machine at face numbers ($150 and shipping time). Bolts have be reused, they will never be the same. Getting the old pto sheave off.....if you can. Everything together sounds great, but time and effort come into play. Want to get it back to ground zero, new? Need to blow snow this week? I wouldn't repower that particular machine or advise it be done. $600 gets you a new machine and warranty (if you can find them) in the back of your truck. Not what you want to hear, but a Yardmachine with a broken engine is scrap, unless you have quick access to another Tec IMO.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-04-2015, 10:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Check the Ariens dealers and surely at $1000.00 they might even eat the tax as some might not want to carry their inventory to next year.
Have them install the Ariens plastic skids and you're all set.
Sell your old defunct one by piece meal and you could recover a couple hundred bucks. Good Luck with your decision.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page