post #1 of 4 Old 02-04-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Troy-Bilt Not Blowing...

To All:
A few years back I bought a Troy-Bilt 10530 snowblower with a 30" cut from a local independent shop. Although I am doubtful of MTD products the fact that there was a local shop with a decent reputation led me to the purchase. In regular use the machine is quite good and does all that I ask of it, even in a very snowy area.
My problem is that the shop that I bought the blower from closed its doors and I have no local support. I live in a rural area and short of loading the machine into a truck and taking it 30 or 40 miles, I'm on my own for service.
This past weekend it was brutally cold here and I went out to blow off the driveway. Started the machine (the Tecumseh has been very reliable on this machine) and turned my back. When I went back to start blowing the machine was smoking heavily. I shut it down, opened the access cover and saw that I had burned up the auger belt.
In years past I had an old Ariens and a John Deere which also appeared to be made by Ariens. I replaced the auger belt several times on each of those machines and found that it took me about 45 minutes to do it. Because of its design and construction the Troy Bilt required me to completely split the unit apart and take off the auger drive pulley (held in place by a tiny woodruff key) and then reassemble. The job took me five hours to do in 5 degree weather this weekend.
What made it worse is that once reassembled the belt brake assembly will not provide proper tension so that the auger control on the handlebar is loose and there is no way to control the auger. I checked the belt size (44") and the routing several times and both are correct. The auger control cable is intact and seems to loosely operate the brake assembly, but not enough to be functional.
Any ideas about how to fix this unit so I can get my driveway open would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Garet
Cooperstown, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-04-2015, 05:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
[QUOTE=otsegony;478353. The job took me five hours to do in 5 degree weather this weekend.
What made it worse is that once reassembled the belt brake assembly will not provide proper tension so that the auger control on the handlebar is loose and there is no way to control the auger. I checked the belt size (44") and the routing several times and both are correct. The auger control cable is intact and seems to loosely operate the brake assembly, but not enough to be functional.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum Garet, First is the new belt a snowblower belt or automotive?
Because the snow blower belts are much more sturdy and match the pulley groove perfectly as opposed to automotive.
You may have to tighten your auger cable. Keep in mind that I don't have experience with your model but the snow blower belt explanation still stands. Good Luck
Btw I flyed with a Cessna to old Rhinebeck once and I wonder if they still do the crazy shows there with the castor oil 1917's biplanes.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.

Last edited by Normex; 02-04-2015 at 05:23 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-04-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the reply. The only place I could buy a belt near here was the ACE Hardware store in town. They carry Stens Lawn and Garden belts, which should be correct. I'll try and readjust the auger cable.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-05-2015, 10:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normex View Post
Welcome to the forum Garet, First is the new belt a snowblower belt or automotive?
Because the snow blower belts are much more sturdy and match the pulley groove perfectly as opposed to automotive.
You may have to tighten your auger cable. Keep in mind that I don't have experience with your model but the snow blower belt explanation still stands. Good Luck
Btw I flyed with a Cessna to old Rhinebeck once and I wonder if they still do the crazy shows there with the castor oil 1917's biplanes.
Yes they still are doing the same show that I first saw in 1974 . I love the planes and they did a lot of extra flying at the show I attended this year, it was great. I got a lot of great pictures using my wife's digital Canon SLR with a zoom lens. If you're interested pm me and Ill see if can send you some.

Whimsey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page