Are there specifications for installing shear bolts? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-05-2015, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 12
Are there specifications for installing shear bolts?

Did some mid-season maintenance on my 2006 Ariens 926LE last night. Turns out one of the shear bolts was BENT but not sheared (it snapped when I was trying to remove it to grease the auger shafts)

Even worse was the fact that it bent NOT at the groove machined into the bolt itself....it bent somewhere in the threaded area. Now, this shear bolt was purchased from an Ariens dealer but isnt genuine Ariens (Stens replacement part, correct part number as I cross referenced it before installation)

So either the bolt was wrong or I installed it wrong. Which lead me to the manual, where I couldnt find a thing about how to correctly install them.

Do they need to be tight? Loose? Is there a specified torque for the nut?

Other than relying on the part number, is there a way to verify its the correct part (i.e. where should the machined groove be in relation to the outer diameter of the auger shaft?)

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-05-2015, 08:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1383
some one might have got cute and stuck a grade 2 bolt in there. just tighten down until snug on those bolts.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
some one might have got cute and stuck a grade 2 bolt in there. just tighten down until snug on those bolts.
Only if the dealer sold me the wrong part.....I installed it myself the last time it broke. The fact that it had the machined groove made me figure they werent the wrong part.

Ive since bought a pack of 10 bolts from Ebay that WERE the Stens part (Stens bag, etc) so we'll see how that works instead.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-05-2015, 07:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 7
Mid season maintenance - kudos to you. I've got a heated shop and the blower never gets mid season maintenance….(end of season/beginning for me).

the failure (bending) sounds like a "grade 2 like" bolt - softer …tends to bend and when they shear they don't shear clean…hard to describe but kinda mushroom which makes it sometimes problematic to remove.

anyway…I'm not aware of any specific shear bolt install procedure ….. the groove indicates a shear bolt so perhaps not heat treated properly …..cheap alloy - who knows. I will add however that over torquing can stretch the bolt ….which can lead to premature or easier failure. I just snug the nut.

Kindest
Kevin
Honda HS 1132

post #5 of 12 Old 02-05-2015, 08:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Interesting.

This fall when I did my maintenance on my 2014 deluxe 30, I had a swapped out a bent shear bolt as well. Said shear bolt was right from the factory.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #6 of 12 Old 02-06-2015, 04:30 AM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
I have pulled bent ones out of Ariens as well.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-06-2015, 04:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1383
Another mystery is taking shape here on the forms.:ee k:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 12 Old 02-06-2015, 05:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Is it posssible that just the bolt hit something instead of the auger? Maybe just a glancing blow that wasn't enough to finish it off?
post #9 of 12 Old 02-06-2015, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I cant be 100% sure but I think what did it was clipping the belgian blocks that we have concreted in as a border around our driveway. I always try to creep up close to them without the drive engaged (just pushing the blower) so as to avoid really hammering into them, but one time I got a little too close with the drive engaged.

The auger just barely clipped it and lifted the bucket off the ground, I pulled back right away and no harm after that.

Maybe it was enough to bend the bolt but not break it?

Should the groove in the shear bolt line up with the outer diameter of the auger shaft? Im wondering if they are the wrong bolts for the application regardless of the material grade.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 398
Likes (Given): 183
Likes (Received): 931
Im not sure a bent shear bolt is all that mysterious..
there are two ways to look at it:

1. A bent shear bolt could mean its not a "proper" shear bolt, its *stonger* than it should be, and instead of breaking, it bent without breaking, and that is bad.

or.

2. Do all "proper" shear bolts bend a little *before* they break? im not sure..
(in six years of owning a snowblower, I have not broken one)
but if they do bend a bit *then* break during the normal course of their shearing duties, could it be possible that a bent shear bolt could be a "good" shear bolt that simply didnt quite get enough pressure to break completely? only enough to bend?

I have no idea if that theory is correct or not..but its a thought that came to me.

Scot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page