Tecumseh Hmsk80 needs full chocke to run.. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-11-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Angry Tecumseh Hmsk80 needs full chocke to run..

My Tecumseh Hmsk80 needs full chocke to run, muffler turns red and engine will only run at low rpm even with full throttle.

Is it the exhaust valve?
Having problems to get new head gasket to this engine in norway also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
I would say either exhaust valve is leaking or it is running lean. Might just need the carb cleaned. Also check for an intake leak.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-11-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Tried to run engine, it first started easy and for the next 10 minutes rpm's gets lower an lower. (Only with full chocke)
post #4 of 5 Old 02-11-2015, 09:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 231
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 2041
Likes (Received): 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS80 View Post
My Tecumseh Hmsk80 needs full chocke to run, muffler turns red and engine will only run at low rpm even with full throttle.

Is it the exhaust valve?
Having problems to get new head gasket to this engine in norway also
Did low compression #'s prompt you to get a new head gasket & consider valve issues?

You may be able to salvage the old metal head gasket by cleaning it & the mating surfaces then spraying with permatex copper gasket spray if available in Norway.

Pull the valve cover / breather to check your valve clearance by measuring the maximum clearance using a feeler gauge (min of 0.008"). When doing this, there's a good chance that you'll tear-up the breather gaskets so make sure you have 2 on-hand before performing this check.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

('87 Toro 38150 826)
post #5 of 5 Old 02-12-2015, 11:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 7
Let the additives do their thing..

Just last night, I just managed to resolve a surging issue on my HM80, not exactly the same problem you have, but I think that one or all of the following will either fix your problem, or at least help you get there:
(1) Guarantee a clean carb, (get a new one!).
(2) Slightly enrich the idle-mixture.
(3) Keep working the additives.
You are running lean: Closing the choke simply prevents more air from getting in, which would make the mixture too lean to run at all. The lean condition could be caused by either the idle-mixture, or a stuck valve. But a dirty carb has been ruled out, because you have (or will) replace it, RIGHT?
And I understand your issue of parts availability, but even a clean carb requires a rebuild kit.
Easiest way to clean a carburetor is to replace it. How can you go wrong for US$25 ?. I started there. New carb made no difference. So I added 3 oz Marvel Mystery Oil to the oil, and 1 oz to the gas tank, and 1 oz into the cylinder. cycle the crank a few times and let it sit there for several hours (a bunch will come pouring out the carb throat, so be sure to catch it!). Put the spark plug back in and start it up. It will blow black smoke for a a few minutes. Run for ½ hour, and then replace the spark plug. At least that is what I did, it is called ‘engine decarb’ and is better described here
I also put 2-4 oz of Sea-Foam in each gas tank refill. Ran for about 8 hours total (generally 2 hours per operating cycle). 2-1/2 blizzards in the Boston Area have helped to add up the engine cycles, for sure.

Finally I changed the spark plug (again), enriched the idle-mixture by ¾ turn, and added a heavier dose of Sea-Foam 2 oz of Sea Foam to a ¼ full tank.
Chugged a bit at first, then it took off with full smooth RPM and no surging. It could have been the idle mixture, because the motor was doing fine when the auger/bucket was full of snow to throw out. Was it due to one or all of those final 3 tweaks? I doubt it. I think it was regular treatment of the SeaFoam. I will try to undo the mixture and spark plug, at some point. Since you are running at painfully slow idle, the additives will be limited in how much they can really do.
Again, I have to point out that my symptom was not the same as yours: but the idle-mixture has an effect on two of the three major modes of operation: low-idle and so-called fast idle (‘full throttle’ but no load on engine). The third mode is of course the ‘doing real work part’ (engine under full load: auger engaged, throwing snow), where so much fuel is being forced up the main jet, that the smaller passages/ports of the idle circuits are of little influence.

next, as I’m sure you’ve been advised, would be the check the flywheel key and pull the head to service/check the valves.

Here is another great youtube video showing how to check/clean the valves without pulling the head:
Free a STUCK VALVE without removing head
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks gsnod thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page