post #1 of 5 Old 02-13-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Wheels keep turning

Hello everyone,

Like everyone in the Northeast this winter, I have been getting intimately familiar with my snow blower. It is a 24 inch john Deere, in fairly good shape. the engine runs beautifully, but I have been having some issues whit the wheels.

A few weeks ago, my neighbor helped me replace the friction wheel that engages the wheels to turn. my old friction wheel had most of the rubber worn off of it and the wheels barley turned. After the repair, the wheels turn great. The issue is now, that they won't stop turning when I release the lever on the grip. It's a real hassle that I have to fight the machine and use all my strength to hold it back. If I lift the wheels off the ground and drop it a few times, it will disengage and the wheels stop turning, but I would like it to work properly.

Does any one have any suggestions for me? I utilized this site to figure out the original problem of the wheels not turning and you all were very helpful, but I couldn't find another thread with my new problem.

I thank you in advance for any assistance in pointing me int he right direction. We have another HUGE storm predicted for Sunday and I'd like to get this problem fixed before I have to fire it up again.

Thanks again,

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-13-2015, 11:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1379
the linkage needs to be adjusted for the new wheel.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2015, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the answer. Is the linkage inside the unit or do I adjust it on the outside where the cable enters the unit? (IE, where the spring is?)

Thanks again,

Don
post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
It could be the adjustment is too tight, but I wonder if that would be helped by dropping it. I wonder if a return spring isn't hooked up.

The adjustments are generally somewhere on the rod/cable between the handle and where it enters to tractor. Each machine is a little different.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-15-2015, 10:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 39
I would tilt it up, get the cover off, and make sure the linkage and everything is lubed and working smoothly. It makes sense that if the old wheel was worn, a new wheel would make things tight.

'77 Ariens 924032 "Brick House" Re-Powered with a TEC 10HP and oversize auger pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page