I screwed up my old Craftsman Snow Blower... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 02-14-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
I screwed up my old Craftsman Snow Blower...

Hey all,

I was the proud owner of a new to me Craftsman 536.90510 a couple days ago, but it wasn't throwing snow (more pushing it out the chute) and It didn't really rev up when I moved the throttle.

Today I took it apart and replaced the VERY worn auger drive belt and now it throws snow like a CHAMP... when it runs.

I messed around with the throttle and governor trying to get it to idle up and it's working... but now it won't stay running.

It fired right up second pull with no primer, but after a minute it started popping. Not loudly or nasty, but enough that I could hear it. Eventually I got into some high drifts, and it died. It won't stay running unless i'm at half choke, and eventually it still dies. After running 5-10 minutes it still won't start without the choke, and it doesn't want to start then. When it does start, I get black smoke from the exhaust.

I'm running 93 Octane Ethanol Free gas.

Also, I need to know how to adjust the drive linkage. There is a bolt near the base of the snowblower that goes through the linkage that I had to take apart to get the rear plate off (it bent backwards because the P.O. took the screws out) Now it won't go into neutral. It works fine in reverse and first though (haven't tried the other forward gears but they worked when I got it)

Finally, The auger housing with the worm gears in it. Does it take 30wt Non detergent or what? It has a two plugs on it like a fill and a level plug.

Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-14-2015, 06:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 225
Thanks (Received): 295
Likes (Given): 1882
Likes (Received): 663
I would guess that the governor and throttle were set correctly before you messed with them and that the real problem is just a carb that needs cleaning

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 27 Old 02-14-2015, 06:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
Yup. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #4 of 27 Old 02-14-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
I would guess that the governor and throttle were set correctly before you messed with them and that the real problem is just a carb that needs cleaning
Yeah but I didn't move them much at all... Should I try spraying carb cleaner in it while its running or do you think I probably need an overhaul?

Any ideas on the drive linkage?
post #5 of 27 Old 02-14-2015, 07:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 225
Thanks (Received): 295
Likes (Given): 1882
Likes (Received): 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillman88 View Post
Yeah but I didn't move them much at all... Should I try spraying carb cleaner in it while its running or do you think I probably need an overhaul?

Any ideas on the drive linkage?
do an overhaul and put the gov and throttle back, it doesn't take much to over rev these motors and blow it up. you need to get it running correctly before addressing the drive, I can't help much with that

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #6 of 27 Old 02-15-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well, I put the governor back where it was and I still can't get her to fire. She tries to catch momentarily but just won't quite fire. She's getting spark and fuel. I can't afford a carb or rebuild kit yet (recent major vehicle repairs used it all!)

I find it hard to believe the carb went bad just like that. She ran fine Wednesday night when I picked her up. I'll pull the plug and verify the gap and clean it up.

The plug was wet when I pulled it, but I'm pretty sure I flooded it trying to start it. I was screwing around with it for an hour. The recoil won't retract all the way now, but when I manually retract it, it makes no difference in starting.
post #7 of 27 Old 02-15-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I also think the resistance from the drive linkage being wrong is putting extra strain on the motor, not helping the no start issue.
post #8 of 27 Old 02-15-2015, 07:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
yes wet plug will not fire...But is it wet from your attempts to start, or from a leaking needle seat flooding...Have you removed the bolt from carb bowl...? Quick clean of the tiny hole, reinstall and notice deep section of bowl under float...and keep gasket up on carb body while positioning...Dry the plug and try again...Good luck.!
post #9 of 27 Old 02-15-2015, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 589
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4358
Likes (Received): 1741
Garage
In the auger gear drive it's usually a 80-90 weight gear oil.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 27 Old 02-15-2015, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspicionofignorance2 View Post
yes wet plug will not fire...But is it wet from your attempts to start, or from a leaking needle seat flooding...Have you removed the bolt from carb bowl...? Quick clean of the tiny hole, reinstall and notice deep section of bowl under float...and keep gasket up on carb body while positioning...Dry the plug and try again...Good luck.!
I'll try that tomorrow. Plug was dry when I first pulled it though, I think it's wet from trying to start.

The little spring thingy on the bottom left of this picture, what is it? is it a drain?

I bumped that and some fuel came out, just wanted to make sure it's supposed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
In the auger gear drive it's usually a 80-90 weight gear oil.
Hmm... That's what I thought, but I read 30wt somewhere. I've got some 80-90 sitting around because I have to put a new rear in my truck I'll use it then thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page