LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-14-2015, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 1
Gas cap vent frozen?

Is anyone else having a similar problem? Here in CT it has been below freezing for essentially the last month. My snowblower is kept in an unheated garage. It hasn't had a chance to thaw.

I was clearing a few paths the other day in the yard, and the machine was looking for gas. I loosened the gas cap a bit and the problem went away. I replicated this several times just to be sure. After that I just ran with the gas cap loose.

It makes sense to me that some snow got on or in the cap vent and then froze in between uses. Does that make sense to you guys. I figure if it becomes a bigger issue I can warm it up with a hair dryer.

Any feedback confirming my thoughts or other helpful information would be appreciated. Thanks. Also, if it matters, the engine is a 212cc predator from harbor freight.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-15-2015, 01:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 137
How old is your Predator? My engine has a rubber tube from a fitting in the gas tank to the air intake so the gas tank vents into the air box area. Does yours have a hose from the top of the gas tank to the air box assembly?
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Saewoody thanked for this post
post #3 of 8 Old 02-15-2015, 03:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 404
Bring the cap in the house overnight to thaw out and dry out, and see if that helps. If it's just frozen that should fix you up (until next time).

Rubberband some tinfoil or something, or a board and brick, whatever, over the filler hole while it's off to keep stuff out/gas vapor in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thanks Saewoody thanked for this post
post #4 of 8 Old 02-15-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
How old is your Predator? My engine has a rubber tube from a fitting in the gas tank to the air intake so the gas tank vents into the air box area. Does yours have a hose from the top of the gas tank to the air box assembly?
It does. I never gave it any thought that the tube was the actual
vent. I am just accustomed to the cap itself having a vent. I can't see where the tube leads to right now because I have to remove my make shift heater box. I've got some snow to clear today, I'll pull the heater box after that.

Gas cap vent frozen?-image.jpg
post #5 of 8 Old 02-15-2015, 10:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saewoody View Post
It does. I never gave it any thought that the tube was the actual
vent. I am just accustomed to the cap itself having a vent. I can't see where the tube leads to right now because I have to remove my make shift heater box. I've got some snow to clear today, I'll pull the heater box after that.

Attachment 41929
Check to make sure that the hose is not being pinched by your heater box. The hose attaches to the airbox assembly into the area before the actual throat of the carburetor. That could solve your problem since it should vent the tank of an overpressure as well as a low pressure. If it is blocked or kinked you will end up with a low pressure which will eventually affect gasoline flow.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 10:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 41
Garage
Has anyone tried modifying or replacing the gas cap with something different? Would a valve cover breather from a car's engine work in place of a gas cap?
post #7 of 8 Old 02-16-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
Check to make sure that the hose is not being pinched by your heater box. The hose attaches to the airbox assembly into the area before the actual throat of the carburetor. That could solve your problem since it should vent the tank of an overpressure as well as a low pressure. If it is blocked or kinked you will end up with a low pressure which will eventually affect gasoline flow.
Good eye and good thinking. But that was not the issue. I had crimped that clear out of the way when I installed it. It had run with no problems in a few previous storms.

The problem did not occur yesterday, so I am guessing something thawed out. If it happens again I will pull the heater box.

Thanks for the responses.
Thanks GustoGuy thanked for this post
post #8 of 8 Old 03-07-2015, 12:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 21
I've successfully found a fix for this problem on my Tecumseh gas tank with a plastic vented cover. The snow would fill the vent area of the cap and plug it up, thus creating a vacuum in the tank and stopping fuel flow to the carb. I use a paint spay can cap and cut a vent hole inside to allow air flow to the fuel caps vent. I then press the cap onto the fuel cap and it shields it from snow blowing over and around it. Have not had an issue since.

~Ray~
~1975 Canadiana 1026 Heavy Duty w/light & limited slip differential (& custom exhaust (need to fabricate manifold), customized impeller housing, removable chute in about 5 sec) (currently out of service)

~ Craftsman 8/25 Trac-Drive C950-52671 (mid 80's ???) (current user) (replaced blown engine with original, now in service again)

~ Craftsman 12/32 OHV 71-52112-1 (now in service)

~Noma GP 1028EL (repaired and serviced for daughter to use)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page