MTD 310-586 Eating Up Multiple Friction Disks - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
MTD 310-586 Eating Up Multiple Friction Disks

My MTD snowblower 310-586 is going through about 1 friction disk every other snow fall. 26 inch cut 8hp Tecumseh. Half way thru blowing snow last night the disk started chunking again. Basically the machine operates flawlessly and then the auger will slow down and not blow as far, then the friction wheel starts to make a clunking noise. After the noise starts i have inspected and the friction wheel has chunks missing out of it. The last time this problem arose i replaced both the belts, friction disk, cleaned friction wheel, new pulley for auger belt tensioner, new spring and pulley for drive belt tensioner. Seems the auger will make a noise and not throw as far with the thicker snow. I believe i have 2 problems here and do not want to keep putting money into it and not get the problem taken care of.

This is an old model yet has been in taken care of all these years, looks like new and has been running like new, always maintained. Last winter and now this winter this problem has came into play. If anyone has any ideas let me know and it would be very appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 10:56 AM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Defective rubber, contaminated rubber, bad bearings throwing the contact angle off, torn up metal plate, too much tension, too little tension, forcing the machine to plow instead of blow?

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Shryp. I should have been a more clear. I am really looking to see if anyone has run into this problem with first hand experience on solving the issue. I would prefer not to speculate although i have though of the possibility of too much tension on the drive wheel. From the handle control there is a rod with a spring on it, i am gonna lessen the tension when i go to replace the friction wheel. The friction plate is smooth as can be. The work is always done by letting the machine do the work. If possible only reply if anyone has had this similar problem with a known fix. Thanks
post #4 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 12:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
"... I have though of the possibility of too much tension on the drive wheel."

Agree ... unless you have gotten a hold of a BATCH of defective drive wheels. How likely is that? Assuming you are using OEM parts, I'd contact the manufacturer once you rule everything else out.

I could see how too much tension could "buckle" the rubber strip on the wheel ... causing it to debond and come apart quickly. This doesn't sound like mere excessive wear. These things should last hundreds of hours ... not several.

But, give the plate a visual inspection (although I assume you have already done so). Surface should be clean and have a "brushed" appearance. Defects (severe rust, pits, etc ...) significant enough ruin a rubber wheel in short order should be obvious.

2011 Ariens 28 Deluxe
post #5 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have contacted the manufacturer on the friction disks, this being the 3rd one and of course they have no notes on any quality concerns. I will say that i am running Prime-Line branded friction disks since MTD no longer has a current p/n for them. The friction plate is in great shape, surface is flat, almost has a smooth polished appearance.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 04:13 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Received): 251
Are you shifting while driving or maybe there is a lot of play in the shifter and it is bouncing around on its own?

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Always shift when stopped. The mechanism for shifting is all tight, not loose and bouncing around. All linkage is good for engagement. A previous attempt at fixing the problem i replaced the axle bearing retainer plastic bushings on both the axle shaft and the jack shaft. One is a plastic hex bushing on the top jack shaft the other three were metal flanged bushings replaced with plastic ones from MTD. Replacing all those parts made the machine work more fluidly. So i believe there is nothing binding all is straight and true on those now.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 587
Thanks (Received): 769
Likes (Given): 4352
Likes (Received): 1734
Garage
It's a 310-586-??? or are they all the same.

If they are all the same then is it a 05080AP wheel ?
You might want to buy the next one at Oreilly auto parts as it will have a 1 yr warranty. List: Search for '7-07457' | O'Reilly Auto Parts
That's not going to fix the problem but at lease it might make finding the problem a little bit cheaper.

Can you post up a picture of the bad friction disc ?

You have to remember we are trying to help you by remote control. Shryp is literally pretty sharp on these machines and since he repairs and rebuilds a fair number of them each year I wouldn't really slap him when he's only outlining the things that any of us would recommend you check. Speculation is what we do.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 05:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 16
Did you ever try tilting the machine up while running and with the bottom plate off to watch the disc running against the plate. Be interesting to see if the disc looks like it's running smoothly.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-16-2015, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 11
Quote:
the auger will slow down and not blow as far, then the friction wheel starts to make a clunking noise
Ok this might be axle bearings getting tight maby countershaft bearings? Overloading the drivetrain causing friction wheel to chatter. chunking it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page