LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-18-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 4
Hungry Tec 5 hp eats carb butterfly

K so I'm working on an old Tecumseh 5 horse to see if I can get it going, there was evidence of someone being into it before I got it and it would start only with full choke and rev like mad once running, governor wasn't working, neither was the throttle or adjustment screws, couldn't figure it out...

So I started checking over all the linkages etc. everything looked fine except when I looked inside the carb throat and moved the throttle I couldn't se the butterfly moving, so off comes the carb.

I took it off and lo and behold inside the intake manifold is the butterfly of the carb wedged in there, screw was nowhere to be found that secures it to the throttle shaft, I'm thinking oh no this thing is toast.. the screw got sucked in and beat the bejeezus out of the combustion chamber and valves etc.

Off comes the head and shrouds, valve spring cover etc, to my astonishment there was no damage to either the valves, head, piston, cylinder, or valve seats - no screw, anywhere!..., checked the muffler, tapped it, nothing. where the **** did that screw go? lol

Anyways cleaned everything up, new gaskets coming, working on the carb rebuild now, have spare parts and junk carbs to pick from so no issues there but I was wondering about the high speed needle screw on the bottom of the carb, what is it supposed to be set to? 1.5 turns out like the rest or is it different?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-18-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 4
IN case you guys were wondering , yes I've found a replacement screw to fasten the butterfly back on and it will get the red loctite treatment and curing before it gets put back in
post #3 of 4 Old 02-18-2015, 05:51 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 238
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 608
You do have to wonder where that screw went, don't you. Could be who ever took it out to begin with didn't put it back in.

1.5 turns sounds right to me, unless somebody else knows better.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-18-2015, 06:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 231
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 2045
Likes (Received): 517
Dang man! Was expecting to see chattermarks all over that thing! Maybe the last owner lost it during a carb rebuild and superglued the butterfly to the shaft

Correct on the starting adjustment....1 1/4 on the idle and 1 1/2 on the main.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Rockadode thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page