Tecumseh valve job hssk50 successful....now hunting - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-22-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 14
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Tecumseh valve job hssk50 successful....now hunting

finished the Hssk50 valve job.....excellent

did carb kit too

runs strong and powerful.........like new.


seems to be hunting mildly.......governer settings are same as before

high speed adjust gets rid of most of it........but not all


any tips?
DANMAN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 02-22-2015, 09:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Motor City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 719
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 65
You may have a vacuum leak, causing a lean condition. You can spray some carb cleaner around the gaskets for the carb and intake manifold. If it smooths out, you found the leak.




Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
Motor City is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 02-22-2015, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 125
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 14
The troubleshooting guides point to fuel delivery issues. If you don't find anything obvious, a new carb can be had from Amazon for about $20.

Craftsman 5/22 with impeller mod & poly skids,
Ariens 28+ Deluxe 921037 AX291
Dave C is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 02-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,741
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 231
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 2041
Likes (Received): 517
If its only hunting at high-speed / no load (goes away once the engine gets something to chew on)...then your idle may be too lean. Either you still have some restriction and/or the jet may need a tweak. Did you soak the carb in cleaner or just clean the jets and spray at things that seem important when you had it apart? There are passages in the carb body that can be restricted.
classiccat is online now  
post #5 of 8 Old 02-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,741
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 231
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 2041
Likes (Received): 517
....and kudos to a successful valve job!!! Alot of people throw away perfectly good motors because of simple valve issues.
classiccat is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ariens1976 liked this post
post #6 of 8 Old 02-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 864
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANMAN View Post
finished the Hssk50 valve job.....excellent

did carb kit too

runs strong and powerful.........like new.


seems to be hunting mildly.......governer settings are same as before

high speed adjust gets rid of most of it........but not all


any tips?
if you had the governor completely apart, it may be a governor setting, or the float is set too high on the lean side.




just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
greatwhitebuffalo is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 02-22-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 14
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
....and kudos to a successful valve job!!! Alot of people throw away perfectly good motors because of simple valve issues.
Appears the low idle tweak got rid of it. Thanks

Yes valve work intimidates most

My exhaust valve wasn't seating....symptoms were high rpm and no power......plus 20 years old.......

Pulled the 8 head bolts and confirmed....i could rotate the exhaust valve head by hand at just past TDC

had to grind /remove .015 off the valve stem tip to get to the nominal .008 preferred gap between valve stem end and cam lifter
Used Dremel tool w/abrasive stone.

I lapped the valves while I was in there

Total cost
5.00 head gasket. Don't try to reuse
5.00 valve lap compound
9.00 lap tool w/suction cup
8.00 carb rebuild kit with new hi low screws

I should have made a video...but no time in snowy upstate ny

Parts can be had cheap on ebays if you are not in hurry

Danman
DANMAN is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks classiccat thanked for this post
post #8 of 8 Old 02-22-2015, 06:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,741
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 231
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 2041
Likes (Received): 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANMAN View Post
Appears the low idle tweak got rid of it. Thanks

Yes valve work intimidates most

My exhaust valve wasn't seating....symptoms were high rpm and no power......plus 20 years old.......

Pulled the 8 head bolts and confirmed....i could rotate the exhaust valve head by hand at just past TDC

had to grind /remove .015 off the valve stem tip to get to the nominal .008 preferred gap between valve stem end and cam lifter
Used Dremel tool w/abrasive stone.

I lapped the valves while I was in there

Total cost
5.00 head gasket. Don't try to reuse
5.00 valve lap compound
9.00 lap tool w/suction cup
8.00 carb rebuild kit with new hi low screws

I should have made a video...but no time in snowy upstate ny

Parts can be had cheap on ebays if you are not in hurry

Danman
Glad you got that sorted-out DANMAN! Thanks for reporting back!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('80 Toro 724)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('87 Toro 38150 826)
classiccat is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome