LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-25-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens Fuel Leak

My 1971 7HP Ariens Sno-Thro has been a savior so far this winter with all the storms we have had north of Boston. Now that we have a reprieve I was checking it out the other day and when trying to start it noticed fuel leaking from the carburetor bowl of the Tecumseh engine. It has always been difficult to start, after the electric starter died, but now with fuel leaking into the bowl the way it is, I am sure it is flooded and will not start.

Just wondering if this is an expensive repair for a shop to do? Still too cold here for me to attempt to fix in my garage. I should have the rope pull and flywheel key checked out while I am at it as it sometimes recoils and snaps back violently and I am suspecting that it is burning oil as well. I am sure the choke, carburetor and throttle cable could use some adjustment as well.

How much do these engine repairs typically cost? Say for the carburetor repair and engine tune-up or overhaul. I have normally done the maintenance; oil, plugs, blower lube, and changed the gear oil.

Thanks for some guidance and an estimate of repair costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 587
Thanks (Received): 769
Likes (Given): 4352
Likes (Received): 1734
Garage
Welcome to the forum Gkamieneski

You are likely due for a carb overhaul. You could also purchase and install a fuel shut off in line as a temporary fix.
If you're not going to try to overhaul the carb yourself just give a couple local shops a call for an estimate.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 02-25-2015, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Also, if you're handy you can also go to ebay and just buy a new carburetor and install it yourself. Easier than rebuilding and cheaper than taking it in.

The recoil snapping back may be a sign it needs to have the valves adjusted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 24 Old 02-25-2015, 04:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 127
Thanks (Received): 194
Likes (Given): 468
Likes (Received): 816
I have a Good Used Carbs Available, PM if interested.
post #5 of 24 Old 02-25-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I think I incorrectly referred to the fuel leaking from the bowl. On my 7HP Tecumseh there is the "ear" of the carburetor that faces outwards and that is where the primer button with spring pumps air into the middle of. I assume this is the air intake? The fuel leak is coming from the orifice in this "ear" and down to its bottom then to the ground.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-25-2015, 05:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamieneski View Post
My 1971 7HP Ariens Sno-Thro has been a savior so far this winter with all the storms we have had north of Boston. Now that we have a reprieve I was checking it out the other day and when trying to start it noticed fuel leaking from the carburetor bowl of the Tecumseh engine. It has always been difficult to start, after the electric starter died, but now with fuel leaking into the bowl the way it is, I am sure it is flooded and will not start.

Just wondering if this is an expensive repair for a shop to do? Still too cold here for me to attempt to fix in my garage. I should have the rope pull and flywheel key checked out while I am at it as it sometimes recoils and snaps back violently and I am suspecting that it is burning oil as well. I am sure the choke, carburetor and throttle cable could use some adjustment as well.

How much do these engine repairs typically cost? Say for the carburetor repair and engine tune-up or overhaul. I have normally done the maintenance; oil, plugs, blower lube, and changed the gear oil.

Thanks for some guidance and an estimate of repair costs.

if you lived nearby, I'd get that puppy growlin' for free...
nothing a turn of a screwdriver and some parts couldn't fix. if you did it yourself, maybe $50 ?
they are easy and fun to work on.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #7 of 24 Old 02-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
If it is leaking when your prime it, that is normal.

If it is leaking all the time the float isn't closing the needle and seat for some reason.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 24 Old 02-26-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I do have the fuel shut off valve just below the tank. It leaks downward whether or not I prime it and at first I thought it might be the very old fuel line, but no, it dripped straight out of the middle of it and down to the ground.

I was hoping to find a fix without dis-assembly so that I can get through the next storm without bringing it into the shop. Any way I can reach in with a tool to make sure everything is seated correctly?

At the same time as the leak began, it no longer starts, so flooded?
post #9 of 24 Old 02-26-2015, 09:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 474
Likes (Received): 831
I had an 8hp Tecumseh on a previous blower, it developed a drip from the nut on the bottom of the bowl. But it still started and ran fine.

I was hesitant to mess with it (it was working well, and I didn't want to change that aspect, certainly not during the winter). It already had a fuel shutoff, so I'd simply close the fuel shutoff and run the carb dry at the end of each use.

That's admittedly a band-aid fix. But at least some slow drips can still let the engine start & run fine. My theory was maybe the seal around the nut at the bottom of the carb was leaking (as opposed to a float-related problem), but I never confirmed whether that was true.

I've continued running the carbs dry on my blowers at the end of every use, so I don't know if my more-recent Tecumseh engines have this drip issue.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #10 of 24 Old 02-26-2015, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
The easiest fix is the fuel shut off and like RedOctobyr it will get you through the season and once it's warmer and greener out you can tackle the problem.

Do you think you might try fixing it yourself or would you bring it in for service ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page