Auger not Turning - Auger Gearcase Oil Leak - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Auger not Turning - Auger Gearcase Oil Leak

I own 29 Dual Stage Murray Blizzard, with 21 Intake Height which I have an auger gear problem. Both shear bolts are fine but auger was not turning. I had learn that there is heavy oil in the gearcase rather than grease which seemed empty or it may be very low. I fill the oil and the auger started to work again. A day later I have learned oil has leaked out. It leaked what it appears from left side of auger shaft. I think may be a oil seal has to be replaced. I wonder if worm gear is damaged? I am not sure what is involved in replacing oil seal. Could someone shad a light on the subject. Or if this was already discussed elsewhere, a link to that discussion would be greatly appreciated.

-- Michael
Murray Blizzard Model# 629108x84A (10 HP 4-Cycle Engine, Elec Start, 29" wide 2-stage & 21" intake height)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Eyeboltman liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-23-2015, 09:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
A gear case that is out of oil is not going to stop turning and then suddenly start working again when you add oil. You probably have a different issue. The gears will always be in contact whether there is oil in there or not. The only difference being that if there is no oil the gears will be chewing themselves up.

For a good explanation of how things work, what parts are inside of there and what is involved in changing them have a look through some of these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy...rray+gear+case

Gear oil is best, but a lot of aluminum cases use a '00' grease instead. It is thicker than a normal gear oil, but not as thick as wheel bearing grease. Even if you had oil originally, it can make a good alternative for leaky gear cases since it won't run out as easily.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-23-2015, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Please add your location to your profile.

This is the 00 grease. This brand is primeline and I used to get it at Oreilly but it's not coming up now. Part number #7-06612
Small engine shops should carry it and auto parts stores might have it under a different brand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00 grease 7-06612.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	50322  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-23-2015, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I think Shryp is correct in that gear would either work or not regardless of there is lubricant in the gearcase or not. But then what else could be wrong? And also adding oil did fix the problem for the last snow. And the oil did leak.

Regarding the gearcase, I think I would have to take it apart even if I replace the fluid with a grease. Any instructions anywhere?

-- Michael
Murray Blizzard Model# 629108x84A (10 HP 4-Cycle Engine, Elec Start, 29" wide 2-stage & 21" intake height)
post #5 of 12 Old 04-24-2015, 07:54 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk033 View Post
I think Shryp is correct in that gear would either work or not regardless of there is lubricant in the gearcase or not. But then what else could be wrong? And also adding oil did fix the problem for the last snow. And the oil did leak.

Regarding the gearcase, I think I would have to take it apart even if I replace the fluid with a grease. Any instructions anywhere?
I haven't got a real clue about your problem, however when you added oil the gearcase you say worked for the last snow. I'm wondering that if before adding oil was there a belt that could slip and then when you added oil this allowed the gearcase to work easer and the belt then stopped slipping. Do you have a worn loose belt?

Last edited by AL-; 04-24-2015 at 08:04 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-25-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I guess it could be a slipping belt too.... I will check the belt.

As far as gear case goes, even the 00 grease may be too thin. What if I fill the gear case with regular grease using grease gun through where oil is poured in. Could that be a solution or would this cause a problem? That way I do not have to take the gear case apart....

-- Michael
post #7 of 12 Old 04-25-2015, 08:04 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk033 View Post
I guess it could be a slipping belt too.... I will check the belt.

As far as gear case goes, even the 00 grease may be too thin. What if I fill the gear case with regular grease using grease gun through where oil is poured in. Could that be a solution or would this cause a problem? That way I do not have to take the gear case apart....
When you check the belt make sure the pulley turns and shaft that goes into the gear case turns. If your drive train from your engine to the gear case is turning, including your impeller is turning but your gear case does not turn your auger then I think your problems should be only inside the gear case. You should put some kind of load on your auger to test it. You have to be very careful because your auger and impeller can be dangerous.

Valvoline makes a synthetic grease that's good to -40F. I got some at Advance Auto. Regular grease would become too thick when cold. Even with the synthetic grease you would be experimenting.

Last edited by AL-; 04-26-2015 at 08:34 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-26-2015, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
It's not a good idea as you can't really get it properly filled pumping it through the fill hole as it's designed for something to be poured in. You may not get enough grease in there to properly pack and protect the gears.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-27-2015, 01:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
If you decide to go the grease gun route without a zerk on there, at least get one of those injection needles. That will let you pack a lot in there.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-30-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
When I took the belt cover off to check the belt, the belt was in good shape. After the auger is engaged, I've noticed belt was wabbling. This may be an indication that the belt tension is weak so, I went and tighten the adjustment. It still is wabbly but better now.

I did not have any injecting device for grease so, I attempted to fill the hole with a grease gun. Everyone was correct, I could not pack the inside of gear case. I do not know this for sure because I cannot see inside but I can tell by how much grease went in. I could not force the grease in there anymore.

I know this not the best way of approaching the problem but now what? One thing I can try is to get hold of some type of injecting device to inject grease in there. Another might be to get bit thinner grease like 00 grease and fill it with the 00 grease. I will be mixing the two but that will have to do since now I cannot go backward.

-- Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page